The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Which Monitor

Steve Hendrix

Eizo and NEC do seem to be the best. We don't sell NEC displays (though at one time we sold LaCie, which shared the same panel).

Currently we only sell Eizo.

I don't agree that the differences between displays are as simple as same panel, different software. I guess "different" software - in that respect - is kind of a generic term for anything the manufacturer does to the hardware.

We have performed some tests that do reveal some weaknesses in other displays compered to the Eizo. Doug has mentioned the gradation test, but also if you create a solid black image and set it as your desktop, this is a good way to determine light leak in corners.

Eizo has a proprietary technology (DUE) they use to address this (so - there is no corner light leak on an Eizo). I'm not sure if NEC does. Sometimes this isn't noticed since the effect appears in the corners and can be subtle.

Many happy display users may like a display for different reasons. Do they like the colors? That they look appealing and accurate? Or does it provide a good match to their custom printer profiles. It isn't always both.

Steve Hendrix
Capture Integration

hcubell

At this point, I would stay away from the NEC monitors based upon quality control considerations. In March 2012, NEC replaced on warranty a defective 2690WUXI that had developed color uniformity issues on the screen. The "new" (i.e., refurbished)monitor was a PA271W. In March, 2013, that monitor developed serious brightness uniformity issues and NEW replaced it with another PA271W. Now, 2.5 months later, that monitor has developed a really obtrusive smudge-like line of about 4 x 1 inches on the screen that shows through all of my application windows. Excellent service, horrible product. Time for an EIZO.