The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

PhaseOne DF shutter won't open

Wayne Fox

Workshop Member
Just making sure there isn't some stupid little thing going on, I'm assuming I'll need to send this off to Phase/Mamiya for repair.

Shot one evening, everything working fine. Put the camera in the backpack. Next morning set it up on the tripod and the focal plane shutter is closed, and won't open. Normally when you take the back off, the mirror goes up and the shutter opens, doesn't happen. Mirror goes up fine, shutter stays close.

Needs to go in anyway because the AF is on the fritz, but was going to wait till after my next trip since I manually focus most of the time anyway.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I assume that you've dropped out the batteries from the body etc as well?

When this used to occasionally happen to me it required the back off, battery pack out. Batteries back in, back back on and power up body and then back. However, since having the high power EJII battery this hasn't happened to me. It used to be relatively common.

However, given that you are having AF issues I would seriously suspect that your problems are more serious than a power lock up.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I meant to write this earlier. Also check your S,C,M switch on the body and make sure its clearly on one of them. Just something to check. But it does sound more power issue.

Wayne Fox

Workshop Member
thanks for the suggestions. Seems something a little more serious is going on ... shutter pretty much stays shut, new batteries constant messing with other things (including the dcm switch). Worked a couple of times then it stops. No real rhyme or reason to it. Guess I better get it sent in.

gzy

may i ask what's the problem told at service? I used to encourter similar problem but it was c/m switch.

MJMoore

Wayne - I had the same problem - mine crapped out during a shoot after only 13 months - no help with warranty - same repair costs. Good news is we now basically have a DF+ I was told by a phase rep that they are using the upgraded shutter for repair and the new firmware improves the focus. I am loving the difference.