Site Sponsors
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Starting out...which to get?

Post Thanks / Like

Starting out...which to get?

Sorry if this has been asked a million times but I'm looking to get into a medium format camera. Let me start with some of my background.

I'm a cinematographer that has used Canon DSLR's and other larger format cameras, FS100/700 AF100 etc. etc. naturally since I started with a Canon DSLR I was somewhat interested in photography. Using a full frame camera was nice and produced different results, much nicer, opinion*.

I'm getting ready to go on a vacation and have done some research into the medium format genre. In fact I shot a BTS video with Jose Villa not terribly long ago that really got me thinking about checking everything out. Can be seen here: Once Upon A Bride on Vimeo (It's all my content and edit etc.)

Anyway!

I really want to go back to the roots, shoot film and really get that interactive feel that such a camera would give.

So, naturally I want a minor investment as it's really just for fun. I was looking at a Mamiya 645 with a 1000s back because apparently the shutter speed can be set at 1/1000, which obviously is better so I don't have to stop down etc etc.

What do I need? Where do I start? Start to finish what can I spend (couple hundred dollar range?) and be happy and get what I'm looking for.

Also do they meter or do I need a light meter?

Thanks in advance!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Starting out...which to get?

Hi, when I used film I preferred the larger formats. I had 2 Pentax 6x7 bodies and really liked them. For trips I usually took one body, a 90mm and a 55mm lens. The Pentax 67 works well for shooting people and landscapes and its easy to use. Its basically a jumbo SLR. For ultimate quality I would look into a 4x5 camera but roll film is much easier to use. 6x9 is also a great format.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I would start by thinking about the format. 6x4.5 is the smallest and so you get the most shot per roll, but going large or using uncommon formats like the square are what sets medium-format cameras apart.

If you want to start a the low-end of the price range, then TLRs (Twin Lens Reflex) are a good place to start. Rollei is the most well known and Mamiya and Yashica have excellent models. Minolta made some nice TLRs as well. Mamiya was the only to make one with interchangeable lenses. All of these are square formats. They are fun cameras.

If you want to go even cheaper, you can also look at folding cameras, but they can be prone to problems.

If you like rangefinders, the Fuji series of medium-format rangefinders are a good deal. They came in 6x4.5, 6x8, and 6x9. There was a zoom model that has AF, but most are MF. Most cameras had a fixed lens--there was a interchangeable lens model, but it is rare.

Then there is the box-style waist-level camera. Those can be found in 6x4.5, 6x6, and 6x7. Manufacturers include Hasselblad, Bronica, Mamiya, and Rollei.

For an eye-level camera, Pentax, Mamiya, and Contax made SLR models. For rangefinders, you can look at not only Fuji, but Mamiya and Bronica.

For most of these cameras, you will need a light meter. Even with cameras with meters, you might be better off with a separate light meter. Incident metering is usually the quickest and easiest method.

I am curious. Why medium format? Is there any particular photography that inspired you to look into it? If so, could you name the photographer or post an image? If you have a specific look in mind, a photograph would help us help you identify at least the format, if not the camera type.

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

My mind went right to a Mamiya 7 film cam. But I dont know enough about them to advice though.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like

If its film MF, I would go for something "outside" the box, or at least a bit more unconvencional, that would be more fun ( from my perspective at least ) to use.

I would steer away from 6x45, the experience is somewhat close to 35mm and not much fun vs high end Canon dSLRS which you use.

I would go to something like Hasselbad 500 series, lens arent that terrible expensive, its nice to hunt a good body and the square format, shooting position and the whole experience just complements your dSLR.

Pentax 67 would be cool as well, for a more traditional style but humongus negatives.

Otherwise, I would go Rollei / TLR route.

Whatever you go, prices are cool. If you need AF and 6x45, I can't find anything better quality vs cost than a Contax 645. The lens are just superb.

Whatever you do, stay away from digital Medium Format.

Run. Hide. Dont even check prices.

You have been warned.
    Leica M9 | 50mm Summilux ASPH | www.proenca.eu
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shashin View Post
    I am curious. Why medium format? Is there any particular photography that inspired you to look into it? If so, could you name the photographer or post an image? If you have a specific look in mind, a photograph would help us help you identify at least the format, if not the camera type.
    For reference: http://josevillablog.com/

Pretty much anything by him, and especially Medium Format — DE VETPAN

Medium format just because it's new to myself, I've shot (BARELY but have) 35mm and 35mm isn't much different than a DSLR.

Perhaps I'm not looking at the right format, but I like their work. What can I do $500ish range? (Cheaper wouldn't be bad).

I'm open to options but need detailed information as I'm a fish out of water!

Thanks for all the replies as well, they are helpful but not detailed enough for me in a way. Again I'm clueless!

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    My mind went right to a Mamiya 7 film cam. But I dont know enough about them to advice though.
    +1 Mamiya 7

Great camera. Great lenses. Compact (relative statement of course).
    Doug Peterson , Digital Transitions | Email
    Dealer for: Phase One, Mamiya Leaf, Arca-Swiss, Cambo, Eizo, Profoto
    Office: 877.367.8537. Cell: 740.707.2183

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

For compact, a Mamiya 6 is the ticket.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

" Start to finish what can I spend (couple hundred dollar range?)"

maybe a 3.5 Rollei, sweet little thing, could be had for less than $600, or a 500CM blad can go for near that.

Post Thanks / Like

It's murder waiting for my comment to be approved! I'm trying to communicate with you all. As a reminder I really want to be south of $500 total!

Oh hey it went through! Wonder where my other comment went.

Here is what I'm looking to "mimic" http://vetpan.de/660 also http://josevillablog.com/

The roll off is so nice and the contrast isn't as harsh as a Canon DSLR for sure. It's the look I want.

I'm super fresh to this however and can't pinpoint what size I want, I don't care to much for square though I would
    like wider if only just than tall. Again, I want something not to hard to deal with, manual focus isn't terrible nor a deal
    breaker. I do it daily with my video career. Sucks a bit more when you aren't rolling for minutes at an event and it's only
    a couple dozen shots at a cost haha.

Anyway, I don't know what I'd need with some comments that recommend this and that. I'm looking on KEH now and also ebay
    but again I don't know what all I need like if it was a DSLR or video camera. Film backs etc. = confusion. I love B&W and would shoot
    34-40% B&W as a heads up though if it matters. I suppose only in terms of buying film though.

Again thanks for all the help and perhaps this will get you guys a more clear picture of what I'm looking to do.

Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

If shooting film then I'd also agree with the recommendation to go large - i.e. 6x6, 6x7 or 6x9. 645 is ok but not a big step up.

If you can afford it I'd also the Mamiya 6 or 7. However, the Fuji rangefinders are great value too.

If you want a DSLR then maybe also look at the Bronica SQ-A series as these are very affordable too.
    Remember: adventure before dementia!

As Oscar Wilde said, "my tastes are simple, I only like the best"

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Kjarahz View Post
    Here is what I'm looking to "mimic" Medium Format — DE VETPAN also http://josevillablog.com/
    You say you don't want square, but both of these photographers are shooting square. I would also say they are not shooting wide, but normal--that would be 80mm for 6x6 or 90-105mm for 6x7.

For square on a budget, a Mamiya C3 or C330. This square TLR has interchangeable lenses so you could get a wide. You could look for a Bronica SQ-A, too.

For 6x7, either a Pentax 6x7 or Bronica GS-1.

For cameras with a film back like on the Hasselblad or Bronica, make sure it is for 120 film, not 220. For Pentax 67 or Mamiya cameras, the film type can be switched in the camera.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Shashin,

Any reason to go Pentax 6x7 of a Nronica GS-1?

I've been looking at KEH at the Pentax and I wish they'd just sell a package item ha.

Seems like everyone recommends 6x7 for a larger format so I assume this is a sound decision.

How are the focus aids for such cameras? Are they like the split design in a 35mm?

Ranger finder would be ideal, would love a Leica but god forbid having a budget, looks to be the same for the Fuji no?

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

It's murder waiting for my comment to be approved! I'm trying to communicate with you all. As a reminder I really want to be south of $500 total!
    Good luck. That's how it starts. It's all down hill from there.

Mamiya 645 TL is your best bet for ultra-budget.

But I'd strongly consider saving until you have $1-$2k (grand total including lenses but including film) which will open up your options considerably.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Shashin,

People keep recommending the 6x7 format, between the Pentax and the Bronica am I better off with one or the other, feature wise?

The Fuji sounds fun as a rangefinder, somewhat Leica like?

I wish on KEH they had bundles, so many things to piece together for the Pentax it seems.

Hopefully this message goes through? The other didn't.

Post Thanks / Like

Another interesting camera is Kiev 60. It was my first MF some twenty years ago. My father traveled to Soviet Union at the time, and he bought it there. It is still in good working condition, it never broke. And it looks cool , doesn't it.
    Thanks to Ebay, you can have this antique camera for cheap these days. The lenses are good, especially 120mm, if you can find it. It is 66 format, 80mm is normal lens, DSLR design, with interchangeable viewfinder, focusing is extra clear, there is even an integrated light meter.
    kiev 60 | eBay

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I find it somewhat sad that there's so much great MF film gear out there going for peanuts because of the trend away to digital. Such wonderful cameras and lenses available at fabulous prices. (Although some still holds its price premium such as linhof).

The first time you look through the viewfinder and trip the shutter you'll realize that whilst technically we leaped over mountains with current digital we have also lost the 'soul' and tremendous feedback you get from mechanical film gear. Sorry, just my $0.02 ...

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Shashin,

People keep recommending the 6x7 format, between the Pentax and the Bronica am I better off with one or the other, feature wise?

The Fuji sounds fun as a rangefinder, somewhat Leica like?

I wish on KEH they had bundles, so many things to piece together for the Pentax it seems.

Hopefully this message goes through? The other didn't.
    The Pentax and Bronica are really two different cameras. The Pentax is an eye-level camera and the Bronica a waist-level one. Yes, you can get a waist-level viewfinder for the Pentax and and eye-level prism for the Bronica, but the ergonomics of those configurations are not ideal. Bronica is a dead line. I understand Pentax will still service their 67 cameras, but the line I believe is out of production.

Instead of going to places like KEH, you could try ebay or the for sale boards at places like GetDPI. You may find kits.

Bronica, Fuji, and Mamiya all made rangefinder medium-format cameras. Just like Leica, only bigger.

Post Thanks / Like

The TLR gets my vote - composing on the glass viewer is just something special. And the older ones have that oh-so-soft shutter, its like magic....

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    The TLR gets my vote - composing on the glass viewer is just something special. And the older ones have that oh-so-soft shutter, its like magic....
    Also easier to blend into the environment and not be an obvious paparazzi too. Another plus is the ability to shoot relatively slow shutter speeds too when hanging from your neck.

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

This smells TLR all the way, particularly after seeing the examples that you link to. A couple of hundred dollars will buy you a fully working Rolleiflex or one of the others. Be aware though that some of them don't have a meter, or the meter may be broken or inaccurate. But hey... I used a Rolleiflex Baby all the time when I was younger. Never had a meter, hardly ever missed the exposure. Good luck with this. Film on MF is a different way of life. Just stay away from the digital MF germs crawling around here. They are evil, small creatures and highly contagious

Post Thanks / Like

With the mentions of "TLR" can someone point me to one on eBay so I know I'm looking at the correct one.

With that aside I've been trying to source a Pentax 6x7 and the Kiev 60 provoked my interest a lot as well. Seems to be about the same thing but with Russian pricing haha.

And definitely digging eye level not waist. Like it's a big ol' DSLR.

Still welcoming any help/feedback!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Do an ebay search for "Rolleiflex." I am not sure you can Rolleiflex on the cheap. A Rolleicord will be less expensive. I would also search for a Mamiya C3 or C330, or Yashicaflex.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't want to be a stickler but the TLR setups don't seem super portable. Do like the pricing though which is a shame :/

Post Thanks / Like

Fuji GF670 (aka Voigtlander Bessa III) Fujifilm GF670 Professional Film Camera

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I don't want to be a stickler but the TLR setups don't seem super portable. Do like the pricing though which is a shame :/
    You might want to check the sizes of the TLR's and other medium format cameras in person. In my experience TLR or rangefinders are a lot lighter than the DSLR bodies and particularly the lenses. With a TLR you've basically got a mirror box and a big empty box. The DSLR bodies tend to be a lot more massive and dense feeling.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Compared to a Pentax 67, TLRs are small and light. The Rollei/Yashica models are really compact. The Mamiya cameras are bulkier, but still less than a Pentax.

I second Graham's suggestion and see if you can get your hands on one. Do you have secondhand camera dealers in your area?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

yashica mat 124g- the gateway drug...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamWelland View Post
    You might want to check the sizes of the TLR's and other medium format cameras in person. In my experience TLR or rangefinders are a lot lighter than the DSLR bodies and particularly the lenses. With a TLR you've basically got a mirror box and a big empty box. The DSLR bodies tend to be a lot more massive and dense feeling.
    +1 The TLRs are very convenient shapes. Just a box with nothing sticking out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Is it possible to invest a little bit more than your 500? In the last time I saw some Mamiya 645 AFD sold for under this - in good condition with lense + back a little bit more.

And if you like it, this could perhaps be your entry in digital...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by weinlamm View Post
    Doh! (I think we need an emoticon of a flaming wallet!)

Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I understand what 'back to the roots' mean - but perhaps one step back and then sometimes you suddenly want to make two forward...

I took a AFD III because it's the last one, which can use film back. And I hope, it will be working for a long, long time...
    And I think the AFD is not a bad choice to shoot film. You can use much of the older manual lenses.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shashin View Post
    Compared to a Pentax 67, TLRs are small and light. The Rollei/Yashica models are really compact. The Mamiya cameras are bulkier, but still less than a Pentax.

I second Graham's suggestion and see if you can get your hands on one. Do you have secondhand camera dealers in your area?
    I live in South Carolina, really the only thing happening here is destination weddings, which I do but with video.

It's really a shame there is nothing except a run down Ritz 45 minutes away, which doesn't help.

Quote Originally Posted by weinlamm View Post
    Is it possible to invest a little bit more than your 500? In the last time I saw some Mamiya 645 AFD sold for under this - in good condition with lense + back a little bit more.

I can do more than $500, but it has to be justifiable because of the Wife and it's just a hobby right now. I love quality though, but I can't guarantee how much work it will get back home after vacation.

Tons if I had people wanting pictures or willing..

Post Thanks / Like

OK,

Been looking at the following:

Fujifilm GW690 - Love the form factor, does it have metering or light meter needed?
    Mamiya C330 - Digging it, no metering makes me really sad.
    Mamiya 645 1000s - Like it but metering isn't effective I hear.
    KIEV 88 - Digging the Hasselblad style, I don't know about metering.

With this all said, my biggiest concern is metering, I want to take pictures without proper setup. Street photography which will be hard, but it's the basic style I'm looking at shooting on vacation with my Wife. I can pose certain things but it's still a vacation and little fuss would be nice.

What should I do with this current line up and concerns, primarily metering.

Thanks in advance

Post Thanks / Like

OK,

Been looking at the following:

Fujifilm GW690 - Love the form factor, does it have metering or light meter needed?
    Mamiya C330 - Digging it, no metering makes me really sad.
    Mamiya 645 1000s - Like it but metering isn't effective I hear.
    KIEV 88 - Digging the Hasselblad style, I don't know about metering.

With this all said, my biggiest concern is metering, I want to take pictures without proper setup. Street photography which will be hard, but it's the basic style I'm looking at shooting on vacation with my Wife. I can pose certain things but it's still a vacation and little fuss would be nice.

What should I do with this current line up and concerns, primarily metering.

Thanks in advance

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Get a light meter. They are very easy to use. If you shoot negative film, you will have quite a bit of exposure latitude. I shot with a light meter for decades, even when my film cameras had built-in metering.

Incident metering is the easiest--those meters have little white domes. You point it toward the camera and take one reading. If the light or situation does not change, then you just use that exposure for all your pictures. Street photography is easy with a meter. Gossen, Sekonic, and Minolta makes/made great meters.

I also used the sunny sixteen rule--in bright sunlight, it is f/16 with the reciprocal of the ISO for the shutter speed (1/100th for ISO 100 film or 1/400 for ISO 400 film).

Post Thanks / Like

Alright sounds good, shame I sold my Sekonic L-358...

After this is it just preference now, what is a good pick from the list/line up and one that perhaps isn't there.

Also that rule sounds perfect, will definitely remember it!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I would take any of the Japanese cameras on your list--Russian cameras are not reliable. Amoung the Japanese cameras, it is had to choose because they are so different. Not only in format, but also style. The Fuji is just this great big rangefinder and since I like big dogs, it would be hard to resist. I had a Mamiya C220 and so the C330 is a fine camera. The left/right inversion in the viewfinder is trippy and has given me picture I would not have imagined. I also dig the bellows draw. The 645 might be the least interesting for me personally of the three, but it is a nice camera.

Post Thanks / Like

Darn unreliable Russian gear, the Kiev 88 was cool and within budget as the 500cm isn't. Which I'm starting to kind of dig.

The GW690 is my next choice however. I was really liking the 88 for the style though at this point, it's a much larger change from what I'm use to.

Ideas?

*I'm really looking for an affordable Hasselblad, thoughts?
    Last edited by Kjarahz; 22nd May 2013 at 12:53.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

*I'm really looking for an affordable Hasselblad, thoughts?
    Estate sales. Craigslist. Other places where someone may not know the open market value of their "old looking camera".

Or bargain-condition (read: beat up) Hassy gear on KEH or similar:
    Hasselblad 500C CHROME WITHOUT WAISTLEVEL MEDIUM FORMAT SLR MANUAL FOCUS CAMERA BODY - KEH.com

In my opinion there is a premium on older Hassy medium format bodies which goes beyond their mechanical/photographic/optical value. It's a darn good system, but if you're on an extreme budget it's not the system to pursue in my opinion.

Post Thanks / Like

Another very good choice for 6x7 format is the Mamiya RZ67...the RZ67 Pro II being the sweet spot for film use. Fantastic and very affordable lenses. Completely modular. WLF or metering/AE prism. Close-focusing by nature. Perhaps a bit on the large/heavy side, though...the Pentax 67 would be a bit easier to use as a hand-held camera.

Ray

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ondebanks View Post
    Another very good choice for 6x7 format is the Mamiya RZ67...the RZ67 Pro II being the sweet spot for film use. Fantastic and very affordable lenses. Completely modular. WLF or metering/AE prism. Close-focusing by nature. Perhaps a bit on the large/heavy side, though...the Pentax 67 would be a bit easier to use as a hand-held camera.

Ray
    I've been looking at the 67 photo's on flickr (Flickr Search: Fujifilm GW690 II) they seem to have a look to them like the pictures I've mentioned that I like.

Can this come down to the camera itself or just the processing? So far the 67 is the nicest in terms of product, by opinion off of these pictures of course.

Post Thanks / Like

It's been mentioned several times already - the Mamiya C330 is a very nice camera that can be had for very little money. Use your smartphone as a light meter and you are set to go.
    Leica Monochrom, Olympus EM-5, Ricoh GR

Post Thanks / Like

Personally, if you can afford it, I'd go for the Fuji or Mamiya 7. Both would be superb for traveling with. While yes, they would cost you probably twice your current budget for a good example, they will hold their value really well, especially the Mamiya as it is quite sort after.

Now you could go smaller format, 6x4.5 and look at some of the awesome Fuji rangefinders like the GA645, GA645w and GA645zi. Basically big compact cameras with cracking lenses, AF and auto exposure modes. I'd say they will give you a very similar quality to what you want from the larger formats, but in really travel friendly formats. There is also the older GS645 which isn't AF but does have a simple meter, a great lens and rangefinder.

Here is one example from a GA645zi.
    Príncipe Felipe Science Museum / SANTIAGO CALATRAVA | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

You might want to check out Roger Hick's site:
    medium format cameras

Also I found his book on medium format camera systems useful in the past. You can see just about every make/model there.
    Amazon.com: Medium and Large Format Photography: Moving Beyond 35Mm for Better Pictures (9780817445577): Roger Hicks, Frances Schultz: Books

Avoid the temptation to buy an Alpa and then just get a big Fuji or Mamiya 6/7. I really think that you'll enjoy the larger format vs 6x4.5. The danger of the smaller MF format is that you won't really feel the images are that much different than you can get from your DSLR system.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Actually, the Fuji 645 p&s cameras are very cool. Easy to use, very compact for medium format and have AF. Just be aware that they shoot portrait format when you hold the camera upright.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post
    Actually, the Fuji 645 p&s cameras are very cool. Easy to use, very compact for medium format and have AF. Just be aware that they shoot portrait format when you hold the camera upright.
    Ditto the Bronica RF 645 (portrait mode). I had one of those for a while. Sweet camera and lenses albeit a bit plastic. I was almost tempted not long ago to buy another one but cracked and bought another Mamiya 7II instead (which I should have kept).

Post Thanks / Like

Went with the C330! Purchased some Fuji 400 film plan to shoot 2 stops over at minimum while exposing for shadows.

Will post results when I have them

Also picked up the 180mm super, camera comes with 80mm 2.8. Got the L508 light meter on a bargain deal also.

I should be set no?

Post Thanks / Like

I should be set no?
    Famose last words..

I can guarantee you that there is not an active participant in the "Medium Format System", that if you ask the person concerned privately "If he is happy and finally satisfied with his camera equipment?" which will respond to your question with: Yes, there is nothing more to buy that would improve my equipment.

The sole exception from that group is of course me

Ray

Post Thanks / Like

I think the C330 is an interesting camera.
    It has two of my favorite components for a camera, square format and a wlf.

When I started with mf-cameras I bought a RZ system from a pro going digital.
    The kit included lots of lenses and half a freezer with film.
    It also included some different roll film holders, 6x45, 6x6 and 6x7.
    And suddenly I become aware of different form factors in a way that I was not as a 35mm shooter.
    I become addicted to the square format, and I realized that I mostly see "square", or multiples of square.
    So, now that I am rebuilding my RZ-system again, I will get a 6x6 holder for film.

But if you find out that you hate the 6x6 format, then you are in some trubble with the C330.
    One way is to make some thin markings on the ground glass for your preferred format to help you compose.
    If you have perfect visualization then of course, no problem.
    Then it is just to: Look, shoot and then crop to your preferred form factor.

What really will increase your presence in the analog process is to start develop the film by your self.
    Suddenly you will gain controll over the whole chain of events, from seeing to the finished result.
    (scanning for digital print or analog printing is a matter of taste, but digital is a quicker way to get good results).

And it might be the best way to also get controll over the quality of development.
    I don't know the situation in your area, but here it is big problem with quality from labs.
    I have had really bad experience with pro-lab that delivers really horrible result.
    So if you have a good lab then you are lucky.

Regarding lenses, I think it is hard to recommend someone what to get, even based on the individual preferences in the 35mm world.
    There is something happening when you switch format. Especially as you go for really big film format.
    So you might find that there suddenly is more that two lenses in your camera bag...

But shooting analog is interesting, it drags you more into the whole process, in a way that I don't think digital does.
    But that is of course my personal view