The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leaf Credo 60 vs P1 IQ160

felix5616

Being somewhat lazy i was hoping someone here could briefly tell me how or in what way a leaf credo differs from a phase one IQ160 of P65+, for mostly landscape work.

Paul2660

IQ160 and P65+ have the same sensor. 60MP. I believe the Credo also uses this same sensor. Where things get different is mainly the user interface.

Credo and IQ both have the touch screen LCD, however look and feel are different between the two. Credo doesn't have the focus mask, and some other of the specialties of the IQ back.

P65+ has the older smaller, much harder to read LCD same as all the P+ backs have. None of the new user features like focus mask, level, touchscreen, USB3. The time it takes to navigate around the P65+ screen, especially at 100% view is considerable. Also IMO, the view at 100% doesn't really help that much to tell what is in focus. Where as the IQ or Credo screens are excellent.

From what others have posted, Leaf and Phase use different color profiles but Capture One works with both.

Paul Caldwell

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
The biggest difference to a tech cam user would be the Phase has focus mask. I think it also has the vertical and horizontal levels but they both use the same sensor.
Yair, Doug and Steve can fill you in a little better but bottom line they both use a excellent 6 micron Dalsa sensor which was my favorite sensor. Hell I had it in 3 backs I owned. LOL

If it was me today buying and I shot a DF I may lean more to the Credo. Oh the Phase does have sensor plus and the Credo does not. Phase has some more features but it does cost more, this really comes down to feature sets more than anything else as they both produce outstanding images so that is not the issue at all. Its what one has the other does not and what your willing to have or have not, plus it will comes down to a budget issue as well the Credo is less expensive. This choice between them is more personal than maybe some other comparisons since they use the same exact sensor.

Steve Hendrix

The biggest difference to a tech cam user would be the Phase has focus mask. I think it also has the vertical and horizontal levels but they both use the same sensor.
Yair, Doug and Steve can fill you in a little better but bottom line they both use a excellent 6 micron Dalsa sensor which was my favorite sensor. Hell I had it in 3 backs I owned. LOL

If it was me today buying and I shot a DF I may lean more to the Credo. Oh the Phase does have sensor plus and the Credo does not. Phase has some more features but it does cost more, this really comes down to feature sets more than anything else as they both produce outstanding images so that is not the issue at all. Its what one has the other does not and what your willing to have or have not, plus it will comes down to a budget issue as well the Credo is less expensive. This choice between them is more personal than maybe some other comparisons since they use the same exact sensor.

Yes, good point Guy about Sensor Plus. To me the big differences are:

*No Live View In-camera
*No Focus Mask
*No Sensor Plus

But - perhaps a better interface, and you may (or may not) prefer the file. The files are similar, but still slightly different in the traditional way that Leaf files differ from Phase files. You can probably get away with less out of pocket with a Credo. Should you decide you'd like to shoot with an AFi/Hy6 camera, that option is available for a Credo 60/80 user.

Otherwise they are very similar, same sensor, most of the same hardware, same performance (recycle, white balance rendering on the LCD, etc).

Steve Hendrix
Capture Integration

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Steve not sure about this but I always had the feeling and correct me if wrong more Leaf users in Europe and more Phase here in the states. Not exactly sure why I think that but maybe since I'm here in the states and I see more Phase owners.

torger

Leaf is cheaper and European photographers are poorer, so you may be right :). However my guess is that Phase One is stronger here in Europe too, by looking at how many Phase One dealers vs Leaf dealers there are. Don't know the exact numbers though, so I'm guessing a bit. Here in Sweden Leaf are weak and Phase One strong, as well as Hasselblad of course.

torger

If one would use the back in "tough" outdoor conditions, like cold, heat, light rain etc, is there any difference between the backs then?

A generation back, comparing the P+ and the Aptus-II I'd dare to say that the P+ is the one to get if you worry about reliability in tough conditions. The IQ and Credo looks very similar from a design perspective though, so maybe they're more similar in the reliability aspect too?

Ken_R

Being somewhat lazy i was hoping someone here could briefly tell me how or in what way a leaf credo differs from a phase one IQ160 of P65+, for mostly landscape work.
I was between the Credo 60 and IQ160.

I choose the IQ160 because the price difference was very little.

I did not think I needed focus mask but after using for a bit I really like it. Also, I tested sensor + and its better than I though it would be. Live view works nicely in a lot of situations. I almost always compose using live view after scouting the location with the arca optical viewfinder (my camera is a Arca rm3di). Its also nice to have real buttons on the back.

Image quality should be very similar. Which is to say, stunning :D

Shadow depth / recovery potential is just amazing. Same with color and most of the time, highlights.

Also since the files are so big you need huge print sizes to show any shortcomings in your technique or image when pushing the limits of the system. With DSLRs everything needs to be perfect if you want a really good 20x30in print. But if you do everything right the 60MP files can produce stunning 60in prints and larger.

stngoldberg

I wish Hasselblad had a focus mask. Doug Peterson gave a demo in Boston last summer and I have lusted for it ever since-especially while using my Arca attached to the H4D50
Stanley

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
If one would use the back in "tough" outdoor conditions, like cold, heat, light rain etc, is there any difference between the backs then?

A generation back, comparing the P+ and the Aptus-II I'd dare to say that the P+ is the one to get if you worry about reliability in tough conditions. The IQ and Credo looks very similar from a design perspective though, so maybe they're more similar in the reliability aspect too?
IQ has more buttons on the back. The credo has just the single on/off button on top. They all seem weather sealed so I don't know if that realistically would make any difference. No fans, external vs 'internal' side battery or plastic vs metal body differences this time around.

steve_cor

Regarding Leaf Credo has:

*No Live View In-camera
*No Focus Mask
*No Sensor Plus

This website says the Leaf Credo has
Live View on the LCD

Mamiya Leaf Credo

Not sure if a firmware update changed that or what.

--Steve.

yaya

Actually Live View was available on the Credo from the first prototype unit, back in April 2012

Yair