The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Technical Camera Tech Spec Summary

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
I don't think these cameras lend themselves well to such simplistic summations. The fact that Alpa Max's left- right shift is given as +/-18mm =36mm, vs 40mm on the Cambo, is notionally correct, but of course you can reverse the camera, and you'll have 25+18 =43mm shift possible. Which is a greater range... How do you put that ability in a table?

I have no idea if the Cambo or Arca's have this reversible front/back, up/down ability, but the table does give wrong info, when you can switch it all about (no 'accessories' involved Doug!) and have a bigger range, should you need it, in whatever direction.

There was for example a bit of flattery for the Arca system and tilt on any lens, which is indeed praiseworthy. Cambo and Alpa are lumped together as needing special lens mounts TS mount on the Cambo lens, and a TS adapter on the Alpa SB lenses. It might be worth pointing out that owning just *one TS adapter allows you to tilt any lens (virtually) you own in SB, so you only need one of those for all your optics, an improvement on the Cambo answer.

The description of the lenses needing special SB mounts (Alpa) or TS mounts (Cambo) also while true is a little off in tone, as anyone investing in a new system would simply order their lenses SB (no extra cost) and they have it. However with Cambo, it's at an extra cost above normal mount, (I think?).

These are details that jumped to my attention. I like Doug And feel his contributions are good addition here. But see why someone might get a bit heated at such broad brush tabulation that flatters one brand over another, especially when the tabulator sells that one and not the other.

I'm positive Doug means well, but it needs updating and footnoting to not be misleading.
I agree completely with "these cameras lend themselves well to such simplistic summations" - or at least that they don't lend themselves easily to simplistic summation. This becomes apparent as you try to do so, as I have :).

Still, I do firmly believe that having some summary (prefaced as ours is with a note affirming "This page is provided to help guide our customers early in their process of selecting the body and lenses... the numbers... are only a small part of the process of selecting a tech camera.") is better than no summary at all.

Your point about rotation/inversion is well put and provides additional value to several of the cameras on the list (of all three brands). In fact I was contacted by two Arca users to make the same point, in this case about the Arca which uses the same Arca-Swiss Rail (the standard on which RRS and a few others base their grip equipment) on the top and bottom of the unit, allowing especially natural inversion of the camera; this is especially pertinent to the RL3Di which has 40mm of rise. On the Cambo side the RC400, uses tool-free removal and reattachment of nearly any of it's accessories to top/left/right/bottom, allowing easy rotation as seen in our bumblebee video. On the other side the Cambo RS-1200 for instance is not especially easy/natural to use in a 90-degree-rotated manner.

But I don't think such nuances belong in an overview. At least not as a full in-depth explanation (which might easily overwhelm someone who is just starting and looking for a broad overview). So in lieu of explaining how easy/hard it is to use movements in a rotated/inverted/reversed manner I've added the word "Natural" to the rise, fall, and shift listed for each body to help clue the reader in that the movements listed come with a caveat. Underneath which I've added the following note:
Natural Movements: The rise, fall, shift listed are for the body in standard vertical orientation. Several of these bodies are (with varying degrees of ease, speed, and naturalness) able to be rotated, inverted, or reversed to allow their larger movement ranges in a direction other than it's natural direction.
I've just reworded the note on Tilt-Swing in response to your well explained concerns. It's a subtle difference, but I think it addresses what you've brought up; your further opinion is very welcome.

Old Wording:
With Arca every lens can be tilted or swung. With Cambo the lens must be in a Cambo TS mount and only some lenses are available in TS mounts. With Alpa you must purchase a SB (short barrel) version of the lens and a separate TS adapter and only some lenses are available in a SB version.
New Wording:
TS Available: With Arca every lens can be tilted or swung. With Alpa a separate TS adapter is available which allows tilt/swing with all SB (short barrel) Alpa lenses; only some lenses are available in a SB version. With Cambo only lenses in a Cambo TS mount can tilt/swing and no adapter is required; only some lenses are available in TS mounts.
Even here, I am excluding some detail, including detail that strongly favor Arca and Cambo. For instance the difference between the systems of where the hinge point is relative to the nodal point of the lens. Or the fact that Cambo can tilt and swing simultaneously which is unique among the three (unless you count a relatively obscure combination of two Alpa 17 TS adapters and a 34SB version of a lens). Or the throat size of the various mounts which can limit the usable image circle of some of the monster-image-circle lenses (Arca has the largest throat). Such details simply don't fit the scope of overview in my opinion.

I only point out the above details which would benefit Arca/Cambo in response to earlier posts (not yours) which seem to imply that if I've left out any detail that might be considered a positive for Alpa that it must represent malice. In fact positive attributes of all three systems are sacrificed on this page in pursuit of taking a very complicated and seemingly-intimidating topic and reducing it to something that might be understood early in one's education on tech cameras. I am not attempting to write the Encyclopedia of Tech Cameras (i.e. cover every contingency and detail) but rather to provide an overview. Not enough detail can be misleading, but too much detail will obfuscate the overall intention.

I really appreciate the respectful tone of your arguments and suggestions. If you have suggestions for (further) rewording I'm very open to hearing them.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Doug, you should know by now that no good deed goes unpunished! :ROTFL:

Thanks, as ever, for the good work and bravery in sharing.

narikin

Interesting see the difference in responses from LuLa MF forum, where it was also posted, to here. Over there everyone was like "Great help, thanks!". Here it's hard core MF users, often with multiple systems, pointing out inaccuracies.

Sadly LuLa probably has more page hits, but... that's life.