The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Starting Lens Setup For Tech Cam

jlm

Workshop Member
43sk, 70rodie, 120sk here, iq160. sometimes i could use wider, and the 32 looks interesting. i do panos (rotation) rather than stitching, when i can, so that way you can go as wide as you want. the 43 vert with two shots will cover what the 32 hor will do with one shot

Dogs857

Hi

I would suggest you check with Dave at Capture Integration Capture Integration | Home - Medium Format Digital Back Sales & Rental and Other Professional Photographic Equipment :: Capture Integration --They set me up with the Cambo AE with the 40 and 70 Rodie T/S, from there went to the Rodie 28 non T/S with CF --then the Schneider 120 T/S.
They wont sell you anything you do not need.

Best

Phil
Thanks Phil

I did have a bit of to and fro with Dave. He seems like a very decent bloke. Unfortunately my trip doesn't take me anywhere near any of their stores, with the exception of probably Boston.
I had also been emailing with Digital Transitions and as I am heading to New York I have organised to drop in with them and have a look at Arca and Cambo gear with a few lenses.
Then it's off to Photocare to check out Alpa.

There is too much choice, at least in 35mm it was down to Nikon and Canon.

I use 32HR, 50HR, 90HR and am very happy with these 3 lenses. Probably the best 3 lenses as far as sharpness from Rodenstock. You are going to be shooting a IQ180, so it is probably best to stick with Rodi. I have used the Schneider 120 Asph and I found it lacked sharpness and contrast in comparison to my 90HR. But it does have a very natural look.
Interesting. I have read good things about the 120 but to be honest I have not been paying attention to what backs they are using. I did read a lot about SK lenses under 50mm but not at the long end.

I'll have to look into this further, thanks.

On a further note, how much lateral shift are you getting out of the 32 and 50 lenses that is usable??

43sk, 70rodie, 120sk here, iq160. sometimes i could use wider, and the 32 looks interesting. i do panos (rotation) rather than stitching, when i can, so that way you can go as wide as you want. the 43 vert with two shots will cover what the 32 hor will do with one shot
The 32 does look interesting, very interesting. I make up my mind sometimes depending on which way the wind is blowing it seems.
My current pano routine is all nodal stitching, I have a pretty good kit set up for it using RRS gear. I would think I will continue to use this but what drew me to tech cameras in the first place was the ability to use large shifts for pano work. So I am looking at using this facet to it's full advantage if possible. I know that with the 180 you have to be careful, but that's what testing is for.

Thanks for your input.