Site Sponsors

Thread: Seeking help from Max users

Post Thanks / Like

Seeking help from Max users

Seeking help from Max users.
    I bought Alpa Max with stitching adaptor recently.
    Now looking for a good quick release plate for the adaptor.
    Any good recommendation? I like the idea of RRS plate with a small rim to hold tight the camera, but I don't see RRS made plate exclusively for Max.

Many thanks,

Ray
    Leica | Angenieux | Alpa | Hasselblad | Phase One
    www.raymondchak.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Seeking help from Max users

I use the RRS MPR-73 with 1/4" screw and the 3/8" - 1/4" Reducer Bushing on my Cambo WRS.
    MPR-73: 73mm Multi-purpose rail - MPR-73
    reducer bushing - bushing

I found that this approach is more solid than using the MPR-73 with 3/8" screw. Haven't had any issues whatsoever with the above combo even though the plate doesn't have any rim.

Dunno if this helps...!
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Look at the B-22. (http://reallyrightstuff.com/ProductD...th-3%2F8-screw)

Or wait for an answer from Graham, the RRS guru.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Not only RRS

Have a look here :
    SUNWAYFOTO DPG-50 56mm Quick Release QR Camera Plate DPG50 Arca Swiss Compatible | eBay

Pull down the bar on the right side to see more images .
    SUNWAYFOTO is 100% compatible with ARCA plates (profile)
    Regards . Jürgen .
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The B-22 actually looks great, I think I will add one to a order I'm about place, just to try it out...
    Always room for improvement :-)

Peter

Quote Originally Posted by stephengilbert View Post
    Look at the B-22. (B22: Multi-use Fore-Aft with 3/8 screw - B22)

Or wait for an answer from Graham, the RRS guru.

Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well, since Stephen mentioned it ...i did have a very helpful session at RRS trying all of their plates with the Alpa bodies that I have. This was specifically with the STC/TC but I used to have the MAX before and so I know what you're looking for with that and the same plates really apply. You can use any of these on the body or the stitching adapter. the most important thing is the lip on the plate IMHO.

There are a number of options for the Max. I personally like to have a reasonable amount of surface area when mounting the Alpa body on an Arca head so my recommendations would be as follows:

RRS BP-CS - this is long but fits widthwise on the body. I use this on both axis of my STC and it would work equally well on the base of the MAX

RRS MPR-73 - this is similar in size to the BP-CS but is oriented the other way around. On the MAX it will run front/back of the body and is potentially better for preventing fore/aft movement although the BP-CS shouldn't ever move either. The MPR will stick out if you store your MAX without lens/body whilst the BP-CS will just seem like an extended base.

For a smaller plate then the BP-22 will work. I use this on my TC and also on an SWA tripod mount. It works very well but isn't quite as long as the BP-CS or MPR-73.

Hope that helps.
    Remember: adventure before dementia!

As Oscar Wilde said, "my tastes are simple, I only like the best"

Post Thanks / Like

A vote for the RRS MPR-73. Here's a quick iPhone grab.

Chris

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Probably sacrilegious, but I strongly recommend securing the stitching foot as well as whatever plate you get with Locktite blue. I have experienced loosening of threads that, if not addressed, could have had terrible results.

The blue is very strong but not permanent like the red...

Post Thanks / Like

If you are looking for something that will fit nice and snug, I use a H1 RRS Quick Realease. I then used a dremel to widen up the sides a bit. It now fits snug on both sides of the stitch adapter. Doesn't move even when the plate is loosely tightened. A little more custom work, but works quite well.

PS: only tried this method because I had an H1 before the Max. And when purchasing the max I realized that it was only a small .5-1mm or so too small for the stitching adapter.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

RRS BP-CS will fit the stitching adapter and will be centered about the foot.

Post Thanks / Like

Dear all, many many thanks for all your valuable sharing.
    Thanks, Pemihan, stephengilbert, jotloob, Graham, cly, rag, shortpballer : )

I think I'll prefer BP-CS, looks handsome and safe on the stitch adaptor ; )
    Thanks guys!!!
    Leica | Angenieux | Alpa | Hasselblad | Phase One
    www.raymondchak.com

Post Thanks / Like

Just a note to say with the Alpa FPS it's not such a problem - the slightly thicker body means that various RRS plates work, with the lip sitting correctly to stop any twist. I am using an old B21 Quick Release Plate (Multi-use #794) which seats perfectly on FPS.

Other Alpa's are too thin for the lip to be set against the body. I'm amazed RRS haven't made one dedicated for Alpa TC/STC/Max as yet. The Alpa user base is much bigger than some of the obscure pieces they have for sale.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by narikin View Post
    .... I'm amazed RRS haven't made one dedicated for Alpa TC/STC/Max as yet. The Alpa user base is much bigger than some of the obscure pieces they have for sale.
    You'd be surprised what RRS can do if you just ask....Very friendly folks!

ken

Post Thanks / Like

True Ken, but, well, we've all been asking/hinting here for years, and nothing seems to have happened!
    Graham's been at the factory trying all the plates to see what works, etc. But - no new dedicated products came from that.

Alpa have put 2 nice holes either side of the mounting thread ideal for locking/ anti-twist pins. It's a perfect situation!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Other Alpa's are too thin for the lip to be set against the body. I'm amazed RRS haven't made one dedicated for Alpa TC/STC/Max as yet. The Alpa user base is much bigger than some of the obscure pieces they have for sale.
    The lip for the MPR-73 or BP-CS works just fine with the TC/STC and MAX. I actually sat down with the folks at RRS and tried just about all of their plates for the best fits. They took notes so that they could advise customers. Ask for Mark G in support ...

Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamWelland View Post
    The lip for the MPR-73 or BP-CS works just fine with the TC/STC and MAX. I actually sat down with the folks at RRS and tried just about all of their plates for the best fits. They took notes so that they could advise customers. Ask for Mark G in support ...
    I must be going blind Graham - I own the MPR-73, and there is no lip on it I can see! It has the lens flange piece you can screw in along various points, which makes it good for the base of the Max's stitching adapter, as CLY pictures very well above, but not for the TC or STC, unless you are using it fore-aft, which is very ungainly and makes it stick out a lot. Please post an image if I'm not getting it, which is quite likely! I have a BP-CS on order at this moment, so can't speak to that.

I'd still say its worth RRS making a dedicated plate for the thin Alpa TC/STC/Max bodies. Alpa sells a plate like that with 2 'index pins' for their Linhof head solution, but its an odd piece, and I'm not sure if its Arca spec compatible or not.

Post Thanks / Like

Here's the dedicate Alpa one with index pins that locate in matching holes in Alpa camera bodies.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I must be going blind Graham - I own the MPR-73, and there is no lip on it I can see! It has the lens flange piece you can screw in along various points, which makes it good for the base of the Max's stitching adapter, as CLY pictures very well above, but not for the TC or STC, unless you are using it fore-aft, which is very ungainly and makes it stick out a lot. Please post an image if I'm not getting it, which is quite likely! I have a BP-CS on order at this moment, so can't speak to that.
    Yes, the MPR-73 with bar is used fore/aft on an STC/TC with the lip against the body. You can set the plate as far back or forth depending upon where you mount the bar on the plate. It does make for a very rigid setup though but it does protrude - but then again so does your lens and back so it's not a big deal. That said, I went with the BP-CS as it does mount the other way around for convenience when packing the body on it's own in the bag.

Quote Originally Posted by narikin
    I'd still say its worth RRS making a dedicated plate for the thin Alpa TC/STC/Max bodies. Alpa sells a plate like that with 2 'index pins' for their Linhof head solution, but its an odd piece, and I'm not sure if its Arca spec compatible or not.
    I certainly wouldn't complain about RRS making a plate with the index pins on it.