The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Contax 645 Lenses on Leica S

thrice

There are currently 4 adapters manufactured by Leica for using other lenses on the S.

S-Adapter-H (Hasselblad H with full AF/AE/CS) 16030
S-Adapter-V (Hasselblad V obviously all manual) 16024
S-Adapter-P67 (Pentax 67 lenses all manual) 16026
S-Adapter-M645 (Mamiya 645 lenses all manual) 16025

Interestingly the Leica 350/4.5 APO-Telyt-S prototype is sitting in a glass case in the factory. Many who remember the S2 launch at Photokina 2009 will remember this lens. Another interesting prototype in the same case is the 100 f/2.

doug

Leica Camera is pleased to introduce the Leica S-Adapter C which will be available from this June. With this adapter, Contax 645 lenses can be used with the Leica S (Typ 007), Leica S2 and Leica S2-P cameras.
I practically peed my pants when I saw this, because

Damned, wish I had kept my 350/4 ... best long lens I ever used.
Marc's photos made with this lens have a luscious richness of detail and tonality that comes through even in a web-sized jpg. And the 1.4x mutar and extension tubes work too! I need to do a kickstarter.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Thanks Doug so most likely Contax as well. Just nice data to know. I guess maybe easier and cheaper to put the R&D money in this way than license it. That's a assumption of course.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
The one problem here is I would want a mix here in glass. Some Hassy, Contax and Leica. I would probably not go Mamiya simple for no AF reasons. Actually the Hassy makes the most sense for the shutters but Contax has some nice look glass that I would like to have. Geez that's 4k just for adapters.

Paul Spinnler

I hope all this pressures other system manufacturers to do the same! Imagine Phase One come out with a Hasselblad / Contax AF capable adapter!

KurtKamka

Subscriber Member
Here's hoping you can make the jump, Guy! By keeping your eyes open, you might be able to find a good deal on a used S2 or S2P out there. The good thing is that with continued announcements like these, most if not all of the depreciation has probably been taken out of used market for the S2. So finding your way in with a body and lenses with interesting character from a variety of systems could provide for a look that differentiates you from what others are providing. The upside is that you potentially step away from the huge depreciation hit if you choose to use the camera for a number of years.

T.Karma

Because I have not used my Contax for quite some time, I was about to unload everything. But thinking of selling a mint 120mm, 140mm or 55mm felt just so wrong, for the little money these lenses can fetch today (and what you can get in exchange for that). Then it popped into my head "better check new adapters first" and voila - this is the third thread I opened after having not visited getdpi for some time.

Thanks so much!

peterv

Yes, I'd say that "artistic rendering" comes into play when selecting adapted lenses. Probably one of the most generally adapted lenses is the Zeiss 110/2F-FE using a dumb adapter because of the way it renders.

In the Contax 645 lens system the 120/4 Macro was the star, and IMO unsurpassed for bokeh or character until the S 120/2.5. The CZ 80/2 probably has more artistic character than the S70/2.5, if not any other reason than it is slightly faster. The Zeiss 350/4 APO has no equal focal length in the S system, and the Hasselblad HC300/4.5 while good, isn't as good.

My favorite lenses in the Contax 645 system were the 45, 80 and 140 ... almost entirely for people work. Easy kit to carry, same filter size, nice character for shooting people.

In the Hasselblad H lens line up the "character king" is the 100/2.2 ... which is why it is the only HC lens I kept for my S2. I use it alone for both focal plane available light @ f/2.2, and leaf shutter sync to 1/750 ... plus mount it on the Hasselblad HTS/1.5 tilt-shift unit for 150mm T/S table top applications, or selective focus portrait work. The Hasselblad HCD 24/4.5 on the HTS/1.5 produces a 36mm FOV with T/S ability.

The other killer optic in the H line up is the new 50/3.5-II ... perfect fit between the S35 and S70 ... just like the 100/2.2 fits nicely between the S70 and S120.

All four of my S lenses are the CS versions that sync to 1/1000 ... which is why I am out of budget for some time. :eek:

- Marc
Many thanks, Marc.

The reason I got so enthusiastic about this new adapter is the reputation of the Zeiss lenses in combination with their relatively low price. There was a mint Contax 645 body plus 3 lenses on offer at the local ebay for € 2.000. The C645 body would be a nice bonus to have. I'd be happy with the option to shoot 120 film portraits every once in a while. The HC system is more versatile, but in the end for me this is also about money, of course. For € 5.000, that's less than one Leica S lens, I could buy the C645 adapter and three or four Contax lenses and perhaps a body for MF film use.

I guess I'm just going to keep an eye on the second hand market and if I find a nice Contax set, it'll be a no brainer.
Right now I have the S2-P with the 70 CS and I must say that I'm actually quite happy with the restriction of having just one lens. In fact, I find the 'normal' FOV incredibly versatile. Everything I photograph seems to fit just fine.

Stefan Steib

Compliments to Leica management for this out of the box thinking !
this is how todays management keeps a platform interesting and lively, adds value with minimum effort and attracts customers from other systems to change to this platform.

I would wish more companies would take this exemplary for their business decisions.

Very well done Leica !

Greetings from Germany
Stefan

lowep

"the connection of the Leica S with the S-Adapter C is an extremely affordable entry-level solution to the Leica S-System and a better quality solution as a digital back, for photographers who own the Contax lenses from the past"

:chug:

"The one problem here is I would want a mix here in glass. Some Hassy, Contax and Leica."

Would it not be possible to mount Hassy lenses as well as Contax 645 lenses on the S2 via the new Leica adapter by piggybacking a relatively inexpensive Hassy to Contax 645 adapter ring like the one made by Kippon on the Contax 645-Leica adapter?

I also wonder what photographic advantage would you get from mounting a Contax 645 lens on a Leica S2 compared with mounting the same lens on a less expensive Contax 645 system with digital and film back, WLF option etc etc -- apart from the red dot and a safer investment?

Whatever the answer this is great news for both Leica S and Contax 645 owners as it makes both systems more attractive to those who have either already invested in either of them or plan to do so.

Last edited:

T.Karma

I also wonder what photographic advantage would you get from mounting a Contax 645 lens on a Leica S2 compared with mounting the same lens on a less expensive Contax 645 system with digital and film back, WLF option etc etc -- apart from the red dot and a safer investment?
Once you add a modern day digital back, it aint less expensive anymore.
Digital backs are still way too expensive for what they do and what they are.

The S2 is a more attractive body, simple and beautiful, and more compact for travelling.

lowep

Yes good point but remember this:

Photokina 2008: Leica has today unveiled a brand new autofocus DSLR system...

That said, the same old Leica press release also mentions a few photographic advantages apart from the red dot and safe investment:

...an advanced new dual shutter, with both an in-body focal plane shutter for fast lenses, and in-lens leaf shutters for high flash sync speeds. The first camera, the S-2, will feature a 37.5 megapixel CCD sensor in a weatherproof body which is similar in size and handling to conventional 35mm-type DSLRs. The new ‘Maestro’ image processing system provides twice the operating speed of current medium-format backs, significantly reduced power consumption...

However when it comes to "affordable entry level solutions" a legacy MFDB can still be bought together with a Contax 645 kit for less than a used S2 body and adapter C, right?

Last edited:

T.Karma

Yes, but look what can get in real world. Even if the Contax body is ok, you will not get a used DB under 4000.- and this will be either a P20, P21 or an Aptus entry level. Not comparable to the S2 chip.
Then you will have to tremble if the alignment of both do match together and everything really works how it should.

With the S2 you get a rock solid camera, nearly foolproof, ready to go.

Honestly, I would not buy into MF on budget when 5D3 or D800 is around - unless you want to shoot film.

cheers :)

erlingmm

Here's hoping you can make the jump, Guy! By keeping your eyes open, you might be able to find a good deal on a used S2 or S2P out there. The good thing is that with continued announcements like these, most if not all of the depreciation has probably been taken out of used market for the S2. So finding your way in with a body and lenses with interesting character from a variety of systems could provide for a look that differentiates you from what others are providing. The upside is that you potentially step away from the huge depreciation hit if you choose to use the camera for a number of years.
I think the S2 as a used camera now comes down towards USD 10k, in Europe below 10k € (even Leicashop Wien has one < 10 K). There is no reason that S2-P should be priced much higher, although the expectations of the seller may be. Most of the depreciation of the body will then have been taken out.

Used lenses are available now that CS lenses are available and early owners upgrade, normally they should sell at 2/3 of new price, with some bargaining.

I think it is a good time to get into the system, the adapters of course ease the transition if one has a set of lenses from another system.

ondebanks

More great news from the S2 camp. They must have some seriously good reverse engineers there (and I don't mean an engineer who walks backwards all the time!).

Leica have obviously figured out that many, if not most, medium format photographers get into a particular system for its lenses...their look, or their speed, or their range, or their shutters, or their reputation, or whatever. So they are hoovering up users of other systems by adapting their lenses.

I bet that Mamiya 645AF and Rollei 6000/Hy6 lenses will be next. There, I called it!

Ray

gogopix

Subscriber
Digital backs are still way too expensive for what they do and what they are.

The S2 is a more attractive body, simple and beautiful, and more compact for travelling.
Having spent time with the Contax and S2 systems, I thought I would share my experiences. Your mileage may vary! :ROTFL:

Actually, I tried the S2 four times, total of over a month and was very impressed with the package. Beautiful IQ, and the 70mm was every bit as satisfying as my 80mm on the Contax.

I had the Contax 645 since it came out (pre-ordered even from Penn in DC area) and had ALL the lenses. They are great... Use on all backs from Kodak through IQ 180.

Then I sold everything...:mad: Including eight cameras, close to 100 lenses and six different systems (I'm thinking of starting "GA" Gearheads Anonymous!)

Was considering a lot of things over the last six months, including Hassey, P1, S2 Pentax even etc.

What I concluded in my deliberations was to go with what was most convenient in my hand, for treking, and carrying a lot of stuff (I actually to Mt Blanc took two contax/P30 and P65 systems), And so now I am back to Contax 645 with P65+ and Contax lenses.

Why?? BALANCE. Not true for all but I just couldn't get used to the lens on the S2 dominating the ergonomics. With the Contax and a back, though heavier, it is MORE compact than the S2, and balanced, even with the 210mm lens. And Ive trekked with them all (but the 350, that I could never get into. I may just buy a 250 or 350 SA again. Sorry but I found the 350mm a bit soft, and WAY heavy)

Would I add an S2 with an adapter? In a heartbeat. I actually considered buying the S2 and using the hassey 80mm 2.8 on it. That's how far I tried to go to get balance on the S2. With the small 80mm Contax, the S2 may just be a competitor for the Contax/Phase setup from a balance POV. But heavier lenses? Not sure; the 45mm 2.8 and 140 are way more compact than their Leica equivalents, so these are the ones to have, at least for my puporses.

I chose the Contax over the S2 largely to get the 60MP and the balance. Would I go for an S3 60MP? now, with the Contax, Hassey, Pentax, Mayia adapters, why not... as long as I get a combo that feels comfrotable to me.

The Contax AF is slower, but unfortunately the Leica, until it gets spot focus, still suffers from the high frequency search; if you have a tree in back of your subject, that's what it will focus on...same as the !#$#$%% Contax LOL

But of all the systems I tried, the one that would wean me away (and that's probably the right term :) ) from the Contax would be the S2. So those of you who have the S Leica are in the enviable position to add a sweet set of lenses, with AF (and it could be faster, as I am sure some AF delay in the Contax is due to its older processor) and I may even rent an S2, once again for my France shoot in September (too late for the Dolomite trip next week.)

If you are comfortable, or never had the Contax, or found it heavy, you will go S2 rather than COntax.

Hope these thoughts are useful

Regards
Victor