The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Contax 645 Lenses on Leica S

chrismuc

:: Paul
PhaseOne - Leica S adapter: Unfortunately impossible because the flange distance of PhaseOne is much longer than of Leica S.
Only Alpa or Bo Ming (Conurus/Metabones) could consider to make a Leica S - Canon EF adapter with autofocus and auto aperture to use on Canon, FPS and Hartblei cameras.

fotografz

I think this is turning around the concept of providing these fully functional Leica adapters.

Leica is slow on delivering S lenses as it is, but seem to do okay making the camera itself. The adapters allow other systems users to either make the transition by using their existing lenses, or to get a S camera to back-up their MFD camera with one that uses their existing lenses while providing a different type of camera.

It'd be kind of interesting if Leica announced a fully functioning M to S adapter to use some of the Schneider CS lenses ... I can say from experience it was nice having a different camera type to use in conjunction with my H4D/60 big gun ... using the same H lenses and HTS/1.5 Tilt-Shif Unit.

However, it is understandable, however unlikely or even technically possible, that some folks would like to bolt the S lenses onto their big gun ... they ARE that deliciously good :thumbs:

- Marc

V

Vivek

Interestingly, the adapters to use 3rd party lenses is not new to the S. Leica made a variety of adapters for their S1 (although for that a mount was not standardized like the current S).

Also interesting is the camera registry. It appears that it is only ~50mm. Not far off from that of the abandoned Leica R (48.5mm).

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
PhaseOne - Leica S adapter: Unfortunately impossible because the flange distance of PhaseOne is much longer than of Leica S.
Only Alpa or Bo Ming (Conurus/Metabones) could consider to make a Leica S - Canon EF adapter with autofocus and auto aperture to use on Canon, FPS and Hartblei cameras.
Then, it's possible. If Phase One had a shorter flange distance, it would have been impossible. The camera with the shortest flange distance is the on that can be adapted to the most lenses, ref Canon EOS.

gogopix

Subscriber
That's right Vivek, especially the longer R lenses. There's in interesting thread here:

Lei-ko R to S Adapter - Leica User Forum
One of the most interesting options is to adapt the R modular 1.4x and 2x focus modules to S2.

I had used a Kapture group Leica R to Contax 645 and used with my complete Modular system. The image circle was fine for the P45 (crop 1.1) but vignette badly on the P65 So I got uninterested (Plus I had to make a 28" long optical bench to keep the lens, focus mod, camera back in line and locked together.)

It worked but not well enough.

Then David Farkas asked for one of the combos and his machinist did an S2 mount (involved repositioning the aperture rig!) But wasnt too expensive, and I ultimately had David find buyers for all My stuffm (if interested see David writeup in the RED DOT forum)

So, can be done, but needs machine work. In the end, the S2 sensor is more than cobvered by the Moduoar system.

Anybody willing to hack $10-20,000 lenses up to change mounts is welcome to try LOL:loco:

But actually, the results are impressive. Otherwise, just yuse the 400/6.8 and Visoflex on a M9...almost as good.:angel:

Regards
Victor

Paratom

I am planning to try the adapter with the zoom 45-90 and eventually the 80/2.0.(Not sure if it makes sense for someone owning the70mm - but I am interested if there is a different character.) Is the 80 Contax smaller than the 70/2.5? I hope so.
I would also be interested to check out a 45 or 55mm.
I will report back as soon as I have some results/impressions.

msadat

mark, leica now has a big stock of leica s lenses (not cs) that they are dumping under code u or something. i have verified this.

i really don't understand the point of S-C adapter. for a pro there is no support of the contax lenses.

I think this is turning around the concept of providing these fully functional Leica adapters.

Leica is slow on delivering S lenses as it is, but seem to do okay making the camera itself. The adapters allow other systems users to either make the transition by using their existing lenses, or to get a S camera to back-up their MFD camera with one that uses their existing lenses while providing a different type of camera.

It'd be kind of interesting if Leica announced a fully functioning M to S adapter to use some of the Schneider CS lenses ... I can say from experience it was nice having a different camera type to use in conjunction with my H4D/60 big gun ... using the same H lenses and HTS/1.5 Tilt-Shif Unit.

However, it is understandable, however unlikely or even technically possible, that some folks would like to bolt the S lenses onto their big gun ... they ARE that deliciously good :thumbs:

- Marc

fotografz

mark, leica now has a big stock of leica s lenses (not cs) that they are dumping under code u or something. i have verified this.

i really don't understand the point of S-C adapter. for a pro there is no support of the contax lenses.
I'm sure that a good number of the S lenses being offered are the recent trades for the CS lenses under the swap deal Leica offered early S2 adopters. I turned in all 4 of my S lenses for brand new CS versions for the retail difference. I can say my S trade-ins were absolutely mint, so someone will get some very nice S lenses for a very good price :thumbup:

Perhaps the interest in CZ645 lenses comes from folks with Contax 645 systems and a bunch of lenses? Maybe some will want a few of the CZs because of the character of specific lenses in that system ... or for a missing focal length in the S lens line-up, or a performance attribute: (while the S120/2.5 Macro is excellent, it only does 1:2, where the CZ120/4 does 1:1) ... so it just depends.

- Marc

peterv

For me the adapter is interesting because I can expand the possibilities of my S2 with a 35 or a 45 and a 120 or 140 for less than €4.000,-. Do I ultimately want the Leica lenses? Of course, but this option might just get me through the coming year or so. There are quite a few mint C645 lenses available.

Please tell us more about the 'code u' lenses. Where can we find them?

ondebanks

This is true. But it might make sense to adapt the 120/2.5 Leica macro to a camera with a longer flange distance...it only makes it "more" macro! Of course, you do lose the infinity range.

Ray

chrismuc

This is true. But it might make sense to adapt the 120/2.5 Leica macro to a camera with a longer flange distance...it only makes it "more" macro! Of course, you do lose the infinity range.

Ray
... theoretically yes, but the lens has an floating element which would be used incorrectly and therefore diminish the IQ a bit if the lens is mounted further away from the sensor than planned by the lens designer

fotografz

... theoretically yes, but the lens has an floating element which would be used incorrectly and therefore diminish the IQ a bit if the lens is mounted further away from the sensor than planned by the lens designer
Which I guess is why Leica has said there will not be any extension tubes for the S120 Macro.

I wonder if they will ever make a S120 Elpro like for the R100/2.8 Macro?

They have made one expressly for the 180/3.5 ... so it should be possible I would think.

- Marc

peterv

I've found a 45 and a 140 I'm going to take a look at. They're supposedly in mint condition, price 500 and 675 euros respectively. Are there any caveats with these lenses I should watch out for?

mmbma

Has anyone actually USED this adapter? How is the autofocus compared to native (contax on contax 645, and S lens on S2). Appreciate it if anyone can share some testing experience

monza

I've found a 45 and a 140 I'm going to take a look at. They're supposedly in mint condition, price 500 and 675 euros respectively. Are there any caveats with these lenses I should watch out for?
I don't know any caveats with any of the CZ 645 lenses...

Has anyone actually USED this adapter? How is the autofocus compared to native (contax on contax 645, and S lens on S2). Appreciate it if anyone can share some testing experience
I don't believe it's shipping yet, although they did say June. I ordered one the day of the announcement...will get a shipment update...

Hi,
I have the adapter in use for some days now and have to say that I am very pleased with the results. I added some quick shots with the 55 and 350 mm Contax lens on the S2. there are full frames and about 100% crops. Please don't punish me for the images, they are only test shots. By the way, it was a very hazy day today when I made the picture of the tv-recover mast.

Best regards

Wolfgang

Last edited: