The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Pentax 645d - experience and/or advice?

Ken_R

I used the eyefi card with the 645D and it worked great. Its not tethering but it transmitted jpg's to my iPad perfectly. Even in direct mode! so there was no need to have the laptop around or even a wifi network.

The high iso performace of the 645D is good and the long exposure image quality also, specially up to 30 sec and a touch more.

tsjanik

The 645D does quite well at long exposures beyond 30s. I haven't taken many, but here's a crop of a night sky ; 8 minute exposure, with no noise reduction in post. Of course, I then had to wait for the 8 minute dark frame.

Ed Hurst

Totally agree that the 645D does surprisingly well for a MFD with high ISOs and long exposures (though not both together)... It really is a lot of camera for the money (at least in MFD terms).

Ed Hurst

When/if they bring out a 645Dii, I hope the noise at base ISO is a little better than with the current model. Don't get me wrong, it's good as it is. But it is not the super-clean result you would hope for. In the pursuit of higher resolution and continuing with the great higher-ISO performance, it would be great if this were not overlooked.

tsjanik

Ed, my ISO 200 shots are virtually noise free; there is a very slight amount of luminance noise I can see at 300%. I don't mind it, maybe because it's film-like. Have you tried ISO 100? According to DxO increases the DR by a stop and I see no noise at all.

Tom

Last edited:

Ed Hurst

Hi Tom,

I frequently use both 100 and 200, depending on the situation - and find both to be pretty clean. 100 is very good, which is interesting because of the way in which the camera offers this up as an 'extended' ISO, suggesting that 200 is the base - which would normally lead 100 to have less noise but less DR. However, I have not found that to be the case (maybe 100 is the base and they only offer it as extended because some of the auto functions like highlight priority etc. require a stop below what you are shooting at?).

Anyway, that aside, I have indeed tried 100 and find it to be excellent. But I do still feel that it could be better still given the sensor size.