The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Arca Swiss Cube........ OMG!!

gazwas

... but IMO there are at least 2 tripod heads for "architectural, interior, landscape, product, and still life photographers" ;-)
Thomas, I so very nearly went for the D4 as it looks a wonderful head and up until very recently was always going to be the head I would purchase. That was until I discovered such things as L-brackets (totally overlooked their existence? :eek:) which overcomes the weird offset portrait shooting on the Cube with my Canons. I'd still like to try the D4 but the sole thing that put me off in the end was the release knobs that send the head floppy for quick adjustments. While they seem like a great idea I just know I'd be clumsy and forget to tighten one while out on a shoot and my camera would end up on the floor.

Don Libby

Gareth, I tried both D4's and as good as they are they still don't beat the Cube and that's why I sold them and still have the Cube I bought back in 2009.

gazwas

To my eyes the levels look spot on. In fact I'd say they are the most accurate levels I've experienced on any tripod head or camera I've ever used.

Can this head impress me any more!! :clap:

Stefan Steib

kdphotography

I think hardest thing to overcome is the initial price (shock). But once you see how easy the Cube makes photography, the shock becomes more of a realization of a long-term investment. RRS clamp, AS Clamp? Doesn't matter. Both work well; it's really a matter of personal preference.

The D4 doesn't really count as being much different from the Cube, since she is a lighter cousin of the Cube. (yes, Thomas, I see you as still being related to the Cube love-fest :D) I'd love to have one (in addition to the Cube) but would prefer the profile of the D4 to be slimmer yet. I love the RRS tripod quick release dovetail plates which makes it so easy to swap out different tripod heads.

ken

Last edited:

gazwas

I hardest thing to overcome is the initial price (shock). But once you see how easy the Cube makes photography, the shock becomes more of a realization of a long-term investment.
Just knowing I can trust the levels has saved me hours of checking and making slight keystone corrections as I was constantly doing with the 405. That alone has more than made up for any money paid.

jlm

Workshop Member
i haven't gotten around to it, but has anyone compared the cube bubble level accuracy/sensitivity to the IQ back built-in levels?

tashley

Subscriber Member
Gareth, you are lucky - a number of people have levels that are slightly off (mine included) - not by a lot but as you know, any miss means a later correction. I think it comes down to how accurately the levels themselves are glued into place because clearly a lot of them are good. All that said, when levelling really matters I use the one built into my IQ... and I'm not even sure that that is 100%. In any event, for so many shots where levelling matters, the really tricky part is getting the camera square to the subject and ain't no level can do that...

gazwas

In any event, for so many shots where levelling matters, the really tricky part is getting the camera square to the subject and ain't no level can do that...
Indeed that is very difficult - trial and error is my only way currently. I was thinking a solution might be a Disto to measure each side of the camera to see if its square. Has your Disto arrived yet and if so what do you think so far?

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

i haven't gotten around to it, but has anyone compared the cube bubble level accuracy/sensitivity to the IQ back built-in levels?
Yes, Jim, I have. Neither was completely accurate! However, as I live on the shore of Georgian Bay, I have a truly flat horizon in front of me. As the levelling tool on the IQ180 is adjustable I was able to get it 100% accurate.

I find the bubbles on the Cube (sorry, The Cube) very good as a starting point but they are often too high, with the camera at eye level, for me to see without a parallax error. So I use them to "rough in" then fine tune with the IQ180.

Long live The Cube!

Bill

jlm

Workshop Member
if i get a minute! i'll haul out the precision level (.005"/ft) and set up some tests tomorrow

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Indeed that is very difficult - trial and error is my only way currently. I was thinking a solution might be a Disto to measure each side of the camera to see if its square. Has your Disto arrived yet and if so what do you think so far?
We use this sometimes in Art Reproduction in situ. It works brilliantly. In fact once you do it a few times you can get it in <3 total measurements (in theory the difference between the two legs of the tripod tell you exactly how far to moe the camera practicality and measurement error often require a second move followed by a third set of measurements to confirm.

By far the most precise way to measure "squareness" at a distance assuming the object itself is in a plane.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Yes, I have. The level in the IQ is ok but you need a good reference for it and set it once. My shooting with the IQ / Cube follows the same workflow as Bill - approximate set using the Cube levels and then fine tune using the IQ settings.

When we visited RRS location I had them check and set my IQ 160 and also check my Alpa levels on their reference tables. The Alpa was perfect. The IQ was set to match and so these agree with each other and I can trust them.

The levels on my Cube were obviously mounted between gaulois smoke breaks using ready reckoning because it doesn't match either. It's not wildly off but it's off enough to not be accurate. It's the one thing that I really wish Arca would pay more attention to.

That foible aside, I have absolutely loved my Cube from the very first day I got it. It was insanely expensive but when I consider how much I use it and how much better it makes my shooting experience I think that it has been worth every single penny. It is a long term investment that genuinely does what people said it would. That said, it's totally inappropriate for action, wildlife, or other scenarios where you need the versatility of a ball head. However, it never claims to be the tool for that job.

As much as I love using my Cube I can't justify getting a second one for my other tripod when I'm shooting two systems side by side. At least, not yet thankfully :facesmack:

Btw Gareth you need to look after your new Cube as if it's your favourite prime lens. Always cover it when it's in the boot of the car (I have a neoprene lens pouch that fits mine) and whenever you travel. I remove mine and put it in my luggage inside a ThinkTank padded lens pouch so that it arrives in one piece.

jlm

Workshop Member
for squareness shooting flat art, i use a reflective glass across the lens front and a little laser enlarger aligner on the art. line up the reflecting dots

justinpoulsen

I waited 5 years for a used cube to come on the market at a "reasonable" price. This year it happened for me and I couldn't be happier. When people find out how much I paid I literally see the fire of hell ignite in their eyes. My nitpicks..my tension adjustments seem to do very little if anything? they're basically on and off switches. ....and I love the flip clamp.. it works wonders for me despite everyone's hate on it.