The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Arca Swiss Cube........ OMG!!

weinlamm

Had you considered the Linhof 3D Micro before buying the Arca? Had you compared them? Or did you say "Arca-camera = Arca-cube!" :D

I don't know why, but I saw them both and today, if I would buy one, I would prefer the Linhof. Can't explain excatly why - perhaps of the price...? ... perhaps because it's easier to find informations about the Linhof ( they have at least a website... :rolleyes: ).

Perhaps you can help me? For me it's not very urgent - but I would buy one of them 'the next time'.

And don't forget: congratulations! It seems, that it's a very well tool and it works perfect. Nice, perfect picture you have shown!

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I've looked at and used the Linhof a few times myself plus tried a couple of friend's Linhofs. I think it is an excellent head and definitely a Cube alternative. I like the smaller size and I doubt that I'd miss the ability to shift it out to 45 degrees to then adjust for verticals which I can do with the Cube. I do use this on the Cube at times when I need to shoot verticals with a body without L adapter or at a steep upwards angle. The build quality of the Linhof, at least over the very short times that I've used it, seems to be exquisite.

I'd definitely consider one today and may do so for a smaller travel solution. It's certainly smaller and lighter which can be more appropriate when using smaller travel gear such as my Fujis and XPan. Don't misunderstand me though as it seems as every bit as good for larger gear but is just smaller.

cly

I doubt that I'd miss the ability to shift it out to 45 degrees to then adjust for verticals which I can do with the Cube. I do use this on the Cube at times when I need to shoot verticals with a body without L adapter or at a steep upwards angle.
There is a special L-adapter for the Linhof head shown on page 4 of the following pdf:

http://www.linhofstudio.com/products/accessories/documents/Linhof3dMICROBROCHURE.pdf

If I was thinking about a Cube today, I'd probably go for the Linhof. I use the Cube's 45 degree from time to time but it's hardly as vibration free as I'd like it to be. I suppose in this situation the Linhof L-adapter is a far better solution.

Chris

i agree! can't imagine how anyone could resist to love this wonderful peace of mechanic.

bubbles are slightly of in one direction at least a littlebit different to the ones on my rm3di. but can't say if the camera levels are 100% accurate.

it's all relative. i purchased mine together with the rm3di, sk43, hr-s28, rotaslide and viewer, so the costs for the cube where infinitesimal :D

I only realized what I was missing until I purchased this year.

Now I want to replace AS clamp with RRS clamp since my DF & Canon 5D MKIII has RRS L Plate.

How can I modify the Arca Swiss RM3Di to mount on RRS, as RRS clamp are slightly wider than Arca?

tashley

Subscriber Member
Indeed that is very difficult - trial and error is my only way currently. I was thinking a solution might be a Disto to measure each side of the camera to see if its square. Has your Disto arrived yet and if so what do you think so far?
Hi Gareth - I have thought the same thing but it will be very fiddly I think, though I will try it and report back.

I love the disto, it is a marvel. But (you know me) it's not quite useful enough in that it really tops out when used outside in sunlight at a lot less than 100 metres, with the exact distance depending on whether you use tripod and on the sort of surface. However, with the Rodie 40 it is enough. We're I to get a 90, 120 or 150 though, I would need something that does longer like one of the Nikons...

edouard

'Just received a Manfrotto 405 head (bd present!), in what an arca-cube is "better": More compact? precise? lighter?

Geoff

I've looked at and used the Linhof a few times myself plus tried a couple of friend's Linhofs. I think it is an excellent head and definitely a Cube alternative. I like the smaller size and I doubt that I'd miss the ability to shift it out to 45 degrees to then adjust for verticals which I can do with the Cube. I do use this on the Cube at times when I need to shoot verticals with a body without L adapter or at a steep upwards angle. The build quality of the Linhof, at least over the very short times that I've used it, seems to be exquisite.

I'd definitely consider one today and may do so for a smaller travel solution. It's certainly smaller and lighter which can be more appropriate when using smaller travel gear such as my Fujis and XPan. Don't misunderstand me though as it seems as every bit as good for larger gear but is just smaller.
Not to interfere with the Cube love-fest, but only to share: I'm using the Linhof 3d, as the Cube seemed a bit over-the-top. A bit of savings, a smaller size, a bit simpler. And like our cube-friends, couldn't be happier. Its the most exciting addition to the photo kit in years: instant levelling, pleasurable to use, and just gives you a kick every time. There is something sublime about having all those fiddly issues of levelling resolved so easily. Most of my shooting is done without angling, so this works out well.

Nits? the knobs are a bit exposed, and one of the more critical ones (bottom pan or lock) is quite small, and can be subject to some bending if not careful. The adjustable lock for the top plate mounting works well, panning on the top and bottom good, and the feel of the gear mechanism is very nice.

If I had to make a choice of the Linhof or the camera, I'd probably choose the Linhof, although it probably doesn't take very good pictures.

Last edited:

rayyen

I had a Linhof 3D before, sold, and then bought a D4. I like to use D4 very much, particularity the capability to switch between gear movement and non-gear movement (I know some may find its a disadvantage)

But accidentally, I bought a cube this morning...really looking forward to try it...

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I love the disto, it is a marvel. But (you know me) it's not quite useful enough in that it really tops out when used outside in sunlight at a lot less than 100 metres, with the exact distance depending on whether you use tripod and on the sort of surface. However, with the Rodie 40 it is enough. We're I to get a 90, 120 or 150 though, I would need something that does longer like one of the Nikons...
Tim,

With longer glass / focus distances I find it convenient to use both a Disto (for close in) and a digital rangefinder for longer distances. It would be great if one solution fitted both needs but this works for me and the rangefinders are pretty small.

With that said, in many situations you can also pretty easily estimate by eye and then review if needed, particularly in landscape.

But accidentally, I bought a cube this morning...really looking forward to try it...
Accidentally? Only on GetDPI ... :ROTFL:

Last edited:

gazwas

:ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:

Awesome, amazing, excellent, sensational, astounding, spectacular are all very over used words but not with Cube in the same sentence.

It really is that good and you'll totally fall in love with using it.

gazwas

'Just received a Manfrotto 405 head (bd present!), in what an arca-cube is "better": More compact? precise? lighter?
I've just come from a 405 and don't get me wrong it is a great head. I have always thought (probably trace my comments on here) that nothing could get better than the 405 and the Cube just seemed a but funny and overpriced.

Shooting more and more interiors and exteriors I soon became dissatisfied with the 405. In the studio it was ok but out on location the sheer bulk and off centre weight started to bother me. Using it on a carbon Gitzo with anything less than the series 5 was not pleasant especially when moving between shots. It seems more at home on a heavy stand (studio) or one of the big aluminium Manfrotto tripods.

The older the heads get, the more stiff the gearing becomes and they are almost impossible and expensive to service yourself. I've had the pan control totally seize up on me and the head had to be sent away for a service for replacement gears and adjustment arm costing about £120 to fix.

I also noticed as the design is very open more like an pan/tilt head than a geared head there was always some play. Firing the camera with the shutter button (Canon) was enough to induce this play and if doing multiple exposures to marry up in post, sometimes they would not match 100%. Cable release or self timer was the only way to ensure no movement.

Levels were totally and utterly off and using with a levelling base was preferable or making sure the tripod legs are level is a must as slight pans can sent the levels off again. The double pan on the Cube eradicates all this.

Not to put an damper on your Birthday present as it is a great head but its defiantly not a Cube.

EDIT: And I forgot, the Arca QR is worlds better than the Manfrotto RC4 QR and 410PL plates.

don't know if it had been mentioned yet, but rrs l-plates fit well into the arca quickrelease.

i use one for my h3d and swap it with the rm3di without any readjustment of the friction.

sorry - don't know why the picture is turned... but you get the idea ;-)

don't know if it had been mentioned yet, but rrs l-plates fit well into the arca quickrelease.

i use one for my h3d and swap it with the rm3di without any readjustment of the friction.

sorry - don't know why the picture is turned... but you get the idea ;-)
Thanks, and I will try one more time. However, when I had attempted first time, it was very very hard for me to slide it in, and didn't want to use any force. I believe RRS plates are 2mm wider than Arca.

edouard

to reply to myself (in case it's of any interest for others):

Found in Arca Cube Take 2

Of course there are several geared heads on the market, so the question is what does the Cube get you over a Manfrotto 405 or 410 that costs 1/3-1/4 the price.
It's smaller and lighter than even the 410 (and weighs about half what the 405 weighs)...
The Cube keeps the camera centered over the tripod and has a low center of gravity for maximum stability.
I think the Cube can support more weight.

half the weight of my (too heavy) 405: nice!