The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Arca Swiss Cube........ OMG!!

edouard

I've just come from a 405 and don't get me wrong it is a great head. I have always thought (probably trace my comments on here) that nothing could get better than the 405 and the Cube just seemed a but funny and overpriced.

Shooting more and more interiors and exteriors I soon became dissatisfied with the 405. In the studio it was ok but out on location the sheer bulk and off centre weight started to bother me. Using it on a carbon Gitzo with anything less than the series 5 was not pleasant especially when moving between shots. It seems more at home on a heavy stand (studio) or one of the big aluminium Manfrotto tripods.

The older the heads get, the more stiff the gearing becomes and they are almost impossible and expensive to service yourself. I've had the pan control totally seize up on me and the head had to be sent away for a service for replacement gears and adjustment arm costing about £120 to fix.

I also noticed as the design is very open more like an pan/tilt head than a geared head there was always some play. Firing the camera with the shutter button (Canon) was enough to induce this play and if doing multiple exposures to marry up in post, sometimes they would not match 100%. Cable release or self timer was the only way to ensure no movement.

Levels were totally and utterly off and using with a levelling base was preferable or making sure the tripod legs are level is a must as slight pans can sent the levels off again. The double pan on the Cube eradicates all this.

Not to put an damper on your Birthday present as it is a great head but its defiantly not a Cube.

EDIT: And I forgot, the Arca QR is worlds better than the Manfrotto RC4 QR and 410PL plates.

ok, so when my 405 broke/need servicing: I'll buy a cube! ;-)

(the cube is half the weight of my 405!)

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Until you've had one or used one you'll never fully appreciate the difference. Typically at that point, assuming that you can overcome the cost issue, you'll kick yourself for not buying one years earlier.

Just sayin' ... :chug:

gazwas

Until you've had one or used one you'll never fully appreciate the difference. Typically at that point, assuming that you can overcome the cost issue, you'll kick yourself for not buying one years earlier.

Graham indeed, I've got a nice bruise developing!

Like I said in my original post, its difficult to quantify the differences to someone until they get one in their hands and all becomes instantly apparent!

jotloob

Subscriber Member

Graham

My fast reading of your post was : . . . you will kick yourself for not buying one every year .:D

fmueller

So, I need to keep telling myself I have lenses that get used twice a year that cost just as much as a Cube, but The Cube will get used every time I use my proper tripod. You guys are killing me... This thread is gonna cost me. :cry:

Don Libby

Or, in Grahams case one for each body....:angel:

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
So, I need to keep telling myself I have lenses that get used twice a year that cost just as much as a Cube, but The Cube will get used every time I use my proper tripod. You guys are killing me... This thread is gonna cost me. :cry:
Dante's got you under a spell. Lol

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Well that's the important point about value. Once you have a Cube you'll use it for every shot and so the benefits of using it compound over time :thumbup:

Last edited:

GMB

How much does Arca pay you guys for this thread. This is torture for all of us who don't have the magic Cube.

:wtf: And it works: I am no seriously considering getting one.

The excuse is the same as always: You only live once. :D

torger

I'm considering the D4 as a "cheap" alternative to the Cube. I also like the possibility to use the D4 unlocked as a "wimberley" head, could use that with my DSLR for some (lighter) tele photo. And it is a bit lighter.

I guess the disadvantage compared to the Cube is that tilt rotation axis will be below the camera rather than inside it, and that may lead to stiff/unprecise tactile feeling of the gears when my ~4 kg Linhof camera is on top. Anyone who has tested both the D4 and the Cube has any comment on that?

Guy Mancuso

How much does Arca pay you guys for this thread. This is torture for all of us who don't have the magic Cube.

:wtf: And it works: I am no seriously considering getting one.

Not enough since I don't have one but I did at one time. Great head but it also has to fit your needs. Tech cam owners its perfect for it. I sold mine and went back to a Arca Z1 DP which works well for my current gear. Cube is a bit slow in some ways and not the greatest people head but it still works good for it. For fashion and such a ballhead is just more flexible . Ideally you have both

gazwas

If I had known earlier what I know now about the Cube you're quote should actually read - "You only need buy once."

Every photographer who enjoys the craft of making pictures should own a Cube IMO..... that's how good I think it is! :lecture:

gazwas

Not enough since I don't have one but I did at one time. Great head but it also has to fit your needs. Tech cam owners its perfect for it. I sold mine and went back to a Arca Z1 DP which works well for my current gear. Cube is a bit slow in some ways and not the greatest people head but it still works good for it. For fashion and such a ballhead is just more flexible . Ideally you have both
Exactly Guy......

I'm coming at this from a Architectural/Product photographers perspective so I suppose I'm the perfect end user. All the Arca heads look great and I'm looking towards a P0 next.

GMB

I actually have the D4m (i.e, the version without geared movements). Great head. When I bought it, the guy from the Arca shop Germany advised to either get the Cube, if you need geared movements, if you do product or architectural shooting, or the D4m, if you do mostly landscape.

I must also admit that the D4m works very well for landscape. But then there is this tread and GAS kicks in....

Guy Mancuso

Well absolutely GAS takes over but on the same hand .spending money on tripods and heads is a great investment in photography. They are products that rarely go out of style or need and they can last a lifetime so its worth it. My RRS legs are almost 1000 dollars but it can last me 10 years without thinking of replacing it. Hate to say it but money spent here is maybe the best long term investment in photography since you may change camera systems a number of times before you wear these out. The cube is a great head no question, its needs that screw up our GAS attacks. Lol

Okay that was just to logical. Go buy one

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Guy,

+1.

I never regret a penny spent on better tripods or heads (Haven't succumbed to Gitzo Giant yet...). For me, (and granted, I'm not doing this as a business,) saving money on equipment has never paid off.

Best,

Matt

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Statement's that start "Graham owns..." are generally true.:ROTFL:

I was going to ask if the tripod spec summary sheet posted on this site was all from his personal collection....