The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Arca Swiss Cube........ OMG!!

gazwas

Took delivery of my Cube yesterday and posting this during a lunch break following a mornings shoot.

...... why has it taken me so long to find you??

Its hard to quantify what makes it so good to someone whos never touched or used one (I was never convinced all these years) but as soon as you do you quickly realise.

I thought I'd miss geared pan off my 405 but its not needed as the pan on the Cube is so silky and easy to lock down. Forget the price, as far as I'm concerned no other head comes close.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
In five years working with customers on selecting, purchasing, and learning many brands of very finely made equipment, I have never found another item which is met so consistently with absolute love after purchase.

For clarity, I'm the first one to point out to someone that it is an incredibly expensive still-photography tripod head. For many (most) people it's crazy to spend that much money on a head (as compared to putting that money into lenses, bodies, travel, beer, family, etc).

But for architectural, interior, landscape, product, and still life photographers that can afford it, an Arca Swiss Cube is the tripod head.

RVB

Took delivery of my Cube yesterday and posting this during a lunch break following a mornings shoot.

...... why has it taken me so long to find you??

Its hard to quantify what makes it so good to someone whos never touched or used one (I was never convinced all these years) but as soon as you do you quickly realise.

I thought I'd miss geared pan off my 405 but its not needed as the pan on the Cube is so silky and easy to lock down. Forget the price, as far as I'm concerned no other head comes close.
I broke out the plastic for one two years ago,one of the best purchases I have made.. superb quality and excellent to use... enjoy it.. :thumbup:

gazwas

I just thought a tripod head is probably the most used piece of equipment (without realising it) we own so why not spend on it. I have lenses I rarely use that I paid a lot more for and in the grand scheme of things that made the Cube an easier decision.

Just a bit shocked how a humble tripod head can be this good to use. Sure makes working with the Rm3di easier. The sun is shining in the right places on the buildings I'm photographing and the head is a joy to use..... I'm one happy Arca customer today.

tashley

Subscriber Member
+1 Gareth. I practically sleep with mine I love it so much. It's not just that it does its job so utterly gorgeously but it feels so damned good, like a craftsman's tool, and that makes me feel like the process is more of a craft.

Only thing to watch: you can't trust the spirit levels on all of them.

gazwas

I really don't see the need to swap the quickset.

I got the classic quickset clamp version and unlike what I've read the chuck adjustment screw is captive and doesn't fall out if slackened too much. Perfect setup IMO as it locks down very tight and couldn't be happier.

gazwas

Peter, I think I see red gunk on the screw that holds the clamp to the head so probably locktite but there really is no need to worry about changing it. Not sure what the RSS could offer over the Arca to warrant a change?

Pemihan

I read that Arca improved the clamp compared to the older models, so maybe no need to change it now...

Peter

Don Libby

When changing the newer heads you'll need to be prepared to heat the area around the mounting bolt a lot in order to loosen the lock tight; this isn't a problem with the older heads from a couple years ago. (A hairdryer won't work - it needs to be a heat gun.) I had no problem with my Cube however I did when attempting to change out the D4.

The only thing I've owned longer than my Cube is my WRS by just a couple months.

Don

jlm

Workshop Member
issues I have with the cube: (I can still love it)

levels suck
O-rings on the knobs seem to disappear
knobs are too small (clearance to body of cube does this)
same for pan lock levers
I use the RRS screw clamp
i get a bit of excessive looseness at the bottom panning joint until I tighten the lock lever. (haven't been able to solve this yet)
it identifies me as a GETdpi member ;)

thomas

In five years working with customers on selecting, purchasing, and learning many brands of very finely made equipment, I have never found another item which is met so consistently with absolute love after purchase.

For clarity, I'm the first one to point out to someone that it is an incredibly expensive still-photography tripod head. For many (most) people it's crazy to spend that much money on a head (as compared to putting that money into lenses, bodies, travel, beer, family, etc).

But for architectural, interior, landscape, product, and still life photographers that can afford it, an Arca Swiss Cube is the tripod head.
after 2 years almost only shooting with my tech cam last year I've used the Contax somewhat more often. Since I really enjoy to use the leveling base for the Cambo WRS I was a bit annoyed by the handling of my tripod heads I could chose from to shoot the Contax. And so I decided to invest in a new tripod head. Of course I've looked at the Cube (again) ... but finally decided to go with the Arca D4 (the geared model). It was absolutely not a question of price (also the D4 is not exactly a steal)... but I am finding the handling and the "feel" of the D4 much better. In fact I prefer the large knobs on the D4.
And BTW the levels are accurate ...
Of course I am not saying you are wrong... but IMO there are at least 2 tripod heads for "architectural, interior, landscape, product, and still life photographers" ;-)

geesbert

issues I have with the cube: (I can still love it)

levels suck
O-rings on the knobs seem to disappear
knobs are too small (clearance to body of cube does this)
same for pan lock levers
I use the RRS screw clamp
i get a bit of excessive looseness at the bottom panning joint until I tighten the lock lever. (haven't been able to solve this yet)
it identifies me as a GETdpi member ;)
you might be a candidate for a photoclam multiflex:
- no o-rings to loose
- there are add on knobs that are removable should they get in the way
- levels are better, but still not 100%
- rrs clamp fits easily
- they have a website (sort of)
- service is exceptional (they repaired mine for free three years after purchase within 4 days sent to korea and back to germany)

you have to make good with your conscience, whether you want invest in a copycat product, though.