The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New Mac Pro: What it means for Phase, Leaf

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
We've published a short technical note in response to the new Mac Pro announcement:
New Mac Pro: What it means for Phase, Leaf

Also notably Capture One strongly leverages the video card for Open CL for both on screen adjustment ("responsiveness") and processing to JPG/TIFF. I fully expect the new dual video card option to provide a great Capture One experience.

As always, I'd recommend waiting for us to test rather than assume. We'll have one the moment their available.

This new Mac Pro sure looks like a big winner to me. Though the lack of internal upgradability is a bit disconcerting.

stephengilbert

I can't imagine what they'll charge for the new Mac Pro. Have you seen the pix on the Apple website?

I sure hope OWC has memory for it soon. :)

RVB

How long before someone markets a case that holds all your external drives and express cards to match this,with a hard raid function...

robertwright

Diglloyd was predictably dour on it. I think it kills his consulting sideline. Move along, nothing to configure here....:facesmack:

I think the internal architecture of the old macpro was limited anyway to the pci bus / sata speeds. You could see all these bodges coming on, ssd on pci-e cards etc all trying to get in on the truly fast throughput of 10gb and higher. So spinning drives have to go. Where they still work is in raids and the existing internal raid structure of the macpro was limited to sata times x drive speed which was always 4 or maybe 5 if you used the optical bay.

Why not just get a 5 drive external box (with ssd?) on thunderbolt and get speed and security in one. Offline storage is great with those voyager Q toasters. Take all your old 1tb drives from inside the box and use them as backup now.

its not the end of the world. CC is the end of the world:eek::facesmack::ROTFL:

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Why not just get a 5 drive external box (with ssd?) on thunderbolt and get speed and security in one.
Thunderbolt is a slow lane but this will work for photographers who do not need realtime video in 4K....most of us.

The G Tech storage folks will have something that will interface well with this.

Presently this:

G-RAID with Thunderbolt | External RAID Up to 8TB | G-Technology

Not this:

G-SPEED eS PRO - External RAID Up to 32TB | G-Technology

Wish I could pick one up tomorrow.

Bob

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Already full vested in T bolt. The writing was on the wall

Promise Pegasus 4R running Raid 0 and its as fast as my SSD drives. I may add a second one running Raid 5 for long term storage. Right now I just use 3tb dives and store them.

Hard drives as we know them will eventually disappear. Its all coming down to flash drives it seems

Guy Mancuso

I know the size thing would mean very little to some people but given that it is small for me at least when i do big shows i could actually take this with me. I rent monitors anyway on those gigs. Now i would have to chain it to a desk though. LOL

mmbma

I am so getting this baby. I think it'll be consistent with previous Mac Pro in terms of pricing. The 4 RAM slots worries me, but then again they make 16GB ram per stick now. Upgrading to 64G Ram was the single most effect and cheapest upgrade to my machine

Guy Mancuso

Not sure we as photographers need much more than 64gb machines anyway. Im running 16gb on a MBP and Im not running into many issues, sure if i opened every stinking program yea but if you work smart it is easy to run smoothly without too many issues. Would I like 32bg or 64gb of course but it is what it is.

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
I am ordering one as soon as possible.
Mostly I am looking for an improvement in PS real-time tracking of pen movements with the wacom tablet.
24G is what I consider the minimum for usable performance although the 16G MBP is not bad as a travel machine,
-bob

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
This has been a long time coming and interestingly enough Apple has adopted a Cray kind of structure with cooling in the center and wrap-around electronics to minimise interconnect delay.
Go ahead, load it up with 64G (or at least 32) that will just about eliminate paging as well as improve the file system cache.
The dual GPUs should really give a punch to both C1 and CS6 real-time performance.
I will have one as soon as it is possible.
The current 15 inch macbook Pro with retina and 16GB is just about tolerable as a travel machine. My current MP smokes it and I am looking forward to smoking it twice more.
-bob

Wayne Fox

Workshop Member
This has been a long time coming and interestingly enough Apple has adopted a Cray kind of structure with cooling in the center and wrap-around electronics to minimise interconnect delay.
-bob
I thought of it looking like a micro-Cray as soon as I saw the images too. Will order one the second I can - sweet looking, and specs sound amazing.

Wayne Fox

Workshop Member
Thunderbolt is a slow lane but this will work for photographers who do not need realtime video in 4K....most of us.
So you think this applies to thunderbolt 2 which is what the machine will have? Apple knows this is headed to a lot of video production companies, and the fact the box will support 3 4K displays seems to imply they are making sure Pixar and others are happy with it ...

jduncan

Hi,

I have some concerns but we will now better after tomorrows demonstration.
My concerns are:

1. Are the graphics cards user upgradable? This is very important because we are finally getting Nvidia to create native drivers for Mac OS X for cards like the gtx 780 and the K5000.

2. The selection of fireGL cards, this will probably rise the price big time, but more important, for adobe users, adobe applications are optimized for CUDA. OpenCL will work, but it's not as fast.

3. Whats with only 4 RAM slots? is the machine is a 12 core single ship? If so, I am concerned about clock rate.

4. Some people need high performance cards from AJA and the like, but they seem to work fine with Thunderbolt 1. It seems to me that Apple and Intel want to do, with Thunderbolt and the Mac Pro, what apple did with USB1 and the iMAC. If they want to succeed price is key.

If I think of my normal use, my only concern will be price, and long time upgrades.
I really don't need the PCIe slots. In my opinion they should have target a machine a tittle bigger and gave people an open PCIe slot even a half size one, but that is what I will do.

Best regards,
James

Ed Hurst

This is interesting and slightly concerning for me. With the work I do, I already have 32GB of RAM on my existing Mac Pro and have been considering trying to get more. This seems to suggest the new Mac Pro cannot run more than 32GB of RAM... Unless anyone knows better. (that is aside from whether spreading RAM across only 4 slots is optimally efficient)

Guy Mancuso

Go ahead, load it up with 64G (or at least 32) that will just about eliminate paging as well as improve the file system cache.
The dual GPUs should really give a punch to both C1 and CS6 real-time performance.
I will have one as soon as it is possible.
The current 15 inch macbook Pro with retina and 16GB is just about tolerable as a travel machine. My current MP smokes it and I am looking forward to smoking it twice more.
-bob
Speed junkie. LOL

Wayne Fox

Workshop Member
This is interesting and slightly concerning for me. With the work I do, I already have 32GB of RAM on my existing Mac Pro and have been considering trying to get more. This seems to suggest the new Mac Pro cannot run more than 32GB of RAM... Unless anyone knows better. (that is aside from whether spreading RAM across only 4 slots is optimally efficient)
You can put 16 gig modules in the current Mac Pro and certainly the new one would support at least that size, but 32 gig modules are available. If it supports those that means your limit would be 128GB of ram.

fmueller

FWIW, my experience with raid 5 and an OWC QX 2 has been supremely disappointing. I have reverted to backing up to individual drives, multiple copies (all in the same enclosure) with another copy kept offsite using a a Q drive "toaster" . The theoretical fault tolerance of raid 5 has resulted in two lost backup sets due to the raid controller. YMMV.

Already full vested in T bolt. The writing was on the wall

Promise Pegasus 4R running Raid 0 and its as fast as my SSD drives. I may add a second one running Raid 5 for long term storage. Right now I just use 3tb dives and store them.

Hard drives as we know them will eventually disappear. Its all coming down to flash drives it seems