The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

645D Time Lapse

Charles Wood

Nice stuff Ed...you're using up that shutter. :)

Wife and I will be in Sydney in August...any suggestions for night sky shooting locations? I imagine the light pollution is pretty high as is typical around metro areas. I'll be lugging 645D and K5 on the trip.

Last edited:

Ed Hurst

Hi Charles,

It depends on what you are aiming for. If you want night sky with the city, there are some good locations at Blues Point and around Lavender Bay (with super-wides, you can get the celestial pole in the shot over the city). However, those certainly are juggling light pollution with the stars in a way that is always a pretty stiff compromise and you most certainly won't want to try and do proper star pictures (i.e. close-ups of constellations, etc.) from the city. If you want to avoid light pollution, much better to head into the bush. You won't avoid all lights without going for several hours inland, but you can avoid them enough - with judicious choice of locations/angles - by heading out to Kangaroo Valley and other similar places. Let me know what you have in mind and I will do my best to recommend spots!

Charles Wood

Thanks Ed, I'll be looking to create some night scapes, sky and light painting, but just checking the lunar calendar, I find we'll be just past a full moon when I'm there, third week in August. So, I likely won't have much opportunity for night sky shots, as such.

Ed Hurst

Well, in the city, the man-made lights often create more pollution than the moon anyway - so not sure that is the greatest obstacle ;-)

Charles Wood

Understood, I was thinking in terms of an hour or so drive away from the heart of the city, if better skies are to be found. We'll also be spending some time on the NE coast up in Cookstown, so I'm sure dark skies will be easier to come by.