The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hasselblad Lunar

BANKER1

Many others have said the same thing. Today, I am waiting on UPS to deliver my Leica M, silver version. Had Hasselblad offered a full frame mirrorless camera that could use Zeiss/Leica (or even Hasselblad) lenses, I may have purchased one of them. And, many others have said they are unwilling to put any more money into a company that makes this kind of a decision.

Greg

Tibor

I hope somebody from HB marketing reads this thread!
They do not. See this recruitment ad Corporate Sales Manager for consumer camera line

"You will be responsible for the worldwide sales of consumer-oriented line of Hasselblad products starting with a mirrorless Lunar and followed already this year with 2 compact cameras and a DSLR."

Also, new designs of consumer cameras from their Italian Design Centre are inevitable as they are also recruiting a new design engineer - see this ad Design Engineer

"... support our ambitious plans within the consumer camera market ... We have set extremely high targets for 2013 with planned releases of at least 3 new cameras and supporting camera accessories, and we need more talent to help us on this exciting journey. ... Continuous research for new innovative materials ..."

rsmphoto

They do not. See this recruitment ad Corporate Sales Manager for consumer camera line

"You will be responsible for the worldwide sales of consumer-oriented line of Hasselblad products starting with a mirrorless Lunar and followed already this year with 2 compact cameras and a DSLR."

Also, new designs of consumer cameras from their Italian Design Centre are inevitable as they are also recruiting a new design engineer - see this ad Design Engineer

"... support our ambitious plans within the consumer camera market ... We have set extremely high targets for 2013 with planned releases of at least 3 new cameras and supporting camera accessories, and we need more talent to help us on this exciting journey. ... Continuous research for new innovative materials ..."
Seems like R&D $ are going in a new direction....

Ken_R

Seems like a short duration job too. LOL
That's what I was thinking. Hiring new people from outside makes them expendable and would not affect the current H line of products.

Leica also rebadges Panasonic products although their relationship seems more symbiotic. I think leica also makes more than cosmetic changes to the cameras plus they don't increase the price seven fold!

Geoff

This is really bad folks. Notice that the "new job" page touts the Lunar on its face, meaning the new boys in control are flexing their muscle. 3 new cameras in a year, and a CAD/CAM modelling background looks like quick variations - not in the line of Hassy's well considered and thought-through products. Rather, its quick buck time, traditions be damned. Very ugly and very sad.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Maybe there's something more substantial coming along? Maybe?? We can live in hope I guess although my spidey sense says more lipstick for the pigs. I could see a Hasselblad RX1 for example with more bling. I really hope not.

(btw, not that the Sony gear is a pig at all - it's just when Hasselblad mark it up outrageously).

BANKER1

Graham,

Back in September I had hope. That hope was dashed September 18th with the introduction of the Lunar. Since then, I have lost all hope for Hasselblad. Very sad.

Greg

Stefan Steib

I am trying to imagine the prizing for these new products.
If the base price of a sony nex 7 results in 7000 € for the lunar, will a base price of 2500 € for an A99 result in a 14000 € price tag for the according Hasselblad camera ?

???

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Maybe it's a ruse to upsell to h5d for a tiny uplift?

I'd buy an H4D40 (used or new) tomorrow vs a rebadged and blinged A99.

MikeHlop

Nor do any registered HB dealers, whether in CH or UK.
About a month ago I was visiting HB dealear in Singapore. When i've seen empty shelves, i've asked the guy what's going on, where is all the stuff. He said that the shelves are getting ready to take new toys - H5D and Lunar. On my question "Do you really hope to sell that Loonie here", he replied that all first batch, despite hasn't arrived yet but all sold already. Rich folks from Malaysia and Indonesia have got them all pre-ordered

Agreed with most of you that the camera is at least weird, I must admit that HB has done market research and is selling this strange tool

jduncan

This is really bad folks. Notice that the "new job" page touts the Lunar on its face, meaning the new boys in control are flexing their muscle. 3 new cameras in a year, and a CAD/CAM modelling background looks like quick variations - not in the line of Hassy's well considered and thought-through products. Rather, its quick buck time, traditions be damned. Very ugly and very sad.
I don't have an issue with them entering the costumer market.
Hasselblad needs a complementary source of income. The time they toke to sale the steel version of the H4D shows that is necessary.

Also Phase one is doing an extraordinary work with the backs.

Pentax 645 is an example of how sharing components can be of benefit for all.

That makes the Lunar particularly problematic. The message send does hurt the brand and does not lead to massive sales.

I hope that the collaboration with Sonny includes sensors and other technologies.

Phase One have all but block Hasselblad access to new CCD sensor technology from Leaf.

Best regards,

J. Duncan