The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hasselblad Lunar

jduncan

About a month ago I was visiting HB dealear in Singapore. When i've seen empty shelves, i've asked the guy what's going on, where is all the stuff. He said that the shelves are getting ready to take new toys - H5D and Lunar. On my question "Do you really hope to sell that Loonie here", he replied that all first batch, despite hasn't arrived yet but all sold already. Rich folks from Malaysia and Indonesia have got them all pre-ordered

Agreed with most of you that the camera is at least weird, I must admit that HB has done market research and is selling this strange tool
I will love to be wrong.
If the thing sales like crazy I will do the following:

1. I will be happy for them, and for the Medium format market. Strong Hasselblad is good news.

2. Eat my words with extra hot sauce, so I remember not to talk that much.

3. Be concern about humanity love from non sense, and hope Vulcans don't learn about the succeed of the lunar, because if then know, they ain't coming :)

Best regards,

James

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
About a month ago I was visiting HB dealear in Singapore. When i've seen empty shelves, i've asked the guy what's going on, where is all the stuff. He said that the shelves are getting ready to take new toys - H5D and Lunar. On my question "Do you really hope to sell that Loonie here", he replied that all first batch, despite hasn't arrived yet but all sold already. Rich folks from Malaysia and Indonesia have got them all pre-ordered

Agreed with most of you that the camera is at least weird, I must admit that HB has done market research and is selling this strange tool
I'm not surprised that they sell, particularly in Asia. The question is if they'll they sell enough to become profitable. The more important question is the one about ethics. On one side, they are selling a grossly overpriced, re-packaged consumer camera with run-of-the-mill consumer lenses, while on the other side, they expect us to believe that their H cameras are not overpriced.

Another question arises as well: When Hasselblad say that "The H-System is largely designed and manufactured by Hasselblad, with Fuji's involvement being limited to finalizing Hasselblad's lens designs and producing the glass for the lenses and viewfinders.", is there as much truth in that as in "Vintage and high-tech Italian design paired with Swedish tradition" (Lunar marketing)? In that case, I wonder how "limited" Fuji's involvement have been. Is the H-system in reality a re-branded Fuji, further developed by Hasselblad?

"Lunar is the result of meticulous engineering research.
The impeccable calibration of its body makes it possible for
Lunar to support both compact and professional DSLR type lenses
whilst always ensuring excellent balance."

Lunar catalogue

Meticulous engineering research by who?

Last edited:

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I've downloaded the Lunar catalogue. Of the 84 (!) pages, 8 are reserved for technical information, 2 are about lenses (technical information: focal length and aperture), and non – zero, 0, zilch, nada – about photography. There is a 2 page photo of the ruby thingy though...

Just when I thought my respect for this project couldn't fall lower, they provide me with the documentation that makes me want to throw up on their "camera".

Hasselblad is not a camera company anymore. Just forget about them. They're history.

http://www.hasselblad-lunar.com/media/22168/lunar-catalogue.pdf

Ken_R

I've downloaded the Lunar catalogue. Of the 84 (!) pages, 8 are reserved for technical information, 2 are about lenses (technical information: focal length and aperture), and non – zero, 0, zilch, nada – about photography. There is a 2 page photo of the ruby thingy though...

Just when I thought my respect for this project couldn't fall lower, they provide me with the documentation that makes me want to throw up on their "camera".

Hasselblad is not a camera company anymore. Just forget about them. They're history.

http://www.hasselblad-lunar.com/media/22168/lunar-catalogue.pdf
That must be one of the greatest masterpieces in creative writing ever made. 84 pages about a rebadged camera from another manufacturer.

It's like putting a beer can cooler on a Coors Light (or similar) and selling it as a Goose Island Beer Co. product.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I am greatly dissappointed they haven't included your Corolla version into their portfolio.

I consider developing a Lexus version as well. It will be identical but obviously carry the Lexus logo, be an ES instead of an S and the shutter button will be covered with leather from the eyelid of Norwegian tigers, an animals so rare that even I hadn't heard about it until this very minute. Price hasn't been decided upon yet, but I expect it to be several hundred dollars cheaper than the Lunar.

Did I mention that I will get a whole village of Italians, many of whom will possible become designers in the near future, to make sketches for the design of this superb product? I will send them a case of Norwegian aquavit, so that they can get a feel for Norwegian traditions as well. The camera is obviously deeply rooted in Norwegian culture, and a shortened, synthesized version of Edward Grieg's Piano Concerto will play every time it's switched on.

The pages 284-315 in the catalogue will feature original oil paintings by deceased artists while the following 200 pages will be left blank to symbolise the limitless artistic visions behind this revolutionary new piece of photographic genius.

fotografz

Hasselblad needs to send all these cameras, and the executives who made it happen ... to the moon.

Make it all Lunar space debris.

Bet that would go viral.

- Marc

Paul Spinnler

It is the new world order. Asia has more wealthy individuals with very high net income that one can imagine. It is hard to understand from the point of view of a normal working photographer / hobbyist in the US/EU, but for a Singapore/HK lawyer/banker earning 500k in their mod 30s with very low tax rates spending 6k on a camera its a non-issue.

I bet Hasselblad calculated very well and this forum's majority view on the matter is just a tiny fraction and one perspective on the photography market.

Times are changing, money is made and spent in Asia!

Douglas Fairbank

I am delighted that there is news that the Lunar is selling well and not just in the Asian markets. So much better that the 'company' can benefit from using it's name in this way and hopefully the 'professional' camera development will benefit from the cash injection.
This thread has been very entertaining, naturally no-one reading this is likely to be in the demographic that the cameras was designed to appeal to so I dont really think the companies direction will be altered by anything said here.
I cannot see that any other Hasselblad cameras have been devalued as a result of this new camera.
When all the criticism is over it is possible that some of the styling or concepts of the Lunar will appear elsewhere, I did find that the prototype was a nice camera to hold whereas the NEX7 just did not seem to fit in the hand. I recovered my old 500C with wood to improve it's grip and surprisingly many people commented on it and it will be familiar to you as the camera in the 'Old Horse' advert. The camera is still used everyday.

Jorgen, could you be goading Hasselblad into letting you have a camera by any chance.:angel:

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member

After all it's nothing but the good old Prestigious Luxury Items strategy.
There are differences, and there are similarities, but it's pretty obvious that basically Hasselblad is trying to replicate the successful Leica business model.

They just need to figure out that perhaps they cannot charge an exaggerated major premium for the low-end rebranded products, but only for their own genuine high-end products.
All beginnings are difficult and so far the artistic impression isn't all that convincing.
But they will probably figure it out sooner or later, and hopefully before it's too late.

red dots​

© • captured with Nikon D300 • Carl Zeiss Makro-Planar 2/100mm ZF • 1/1250 sec at f/2 ISO 200 • Capture NX

© • captured with Nikon D300 • Carl Zeiss Makro-Planar 2/100mm ZF • 1/1250 sec at f/2 ISO 200 • Capture NX

crop of a screendump from the Hasselblad Lunar catalogue

crop of a screendump from the Hasselblad Lunar catalogue

white gloves

crop of a screendump from Hasselblad tv

from Leica Rumors

and the good old Overpriced Prestige strategy
nothing new here, it's a well proven concept
(though admittedly it always surprises me how well it works)

crop of a screen dump from: justluxe dot com

(The yellow and blue markings are mine)

crop of a screen dump from: overgaard dot dk

(The yellow and blue markings are mine)

☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I suppose it's true that there will always be a clientele for this type of luxury items.
Which is why it is too early to rule out that Hasselblad will actually get it rolling before they go bankrupt.
It depends on how deep pockets the new owners have and how much they are willing to invest in the project.

Regarded as business cases very interesting to follow, with differences and similarities and all.

Swissblad

It may be a labelled as a luxury brand - doesn't change the fact that "a fool and his money are soon parted".

2nd hand Leicas are still regarded as valuable, as are vintage Bentleys, Porches etc.

I cannot see a 2nd hand looney having any value.

Digital cameras have become consumer items with very short shelf life.

A gold plated iPod etc dies a quick death.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
While the Lunar and whatever comes after it may sell and even become profitable, there's one major difference between this product and almost all other famous luxury products: Apart from the Hasselblad logo, there's not a single Hasselblad chromosome hidden in the box. That doesn't change one iota by the repeated claim from Hasselblad that it's built on "Swedish traditions". Leica, Rolex, Ferrari etc. all sell products that are mainly developed by themselves and more often than not with a design that reflects decades of tradition. Rolex and Louis Vuitton are prime examples. Few of their products can be called pretty seen with 21st century eyes, but they are genuine Rolex and LV products with genuine Rolex and LV technology. Those in the market for that stuff will recognise them with closed eyes and their hands tied on their back.

The Lunar on the other hand is alien technology with a design that doesn't resemble anything Hasselblad have ever done, aimed at a market they have no experience from. Again: They may still succeed, but I can't really see why they should, and the statements in their marketing are so close to outright lies that they are more than dubious from an ethical point of view. That's where the damage to the brand name and their original product line starts, and that's one of the reasons why I would be extremely hesitant to buy a new Hasselblad product these days.

T.Karma

The Lunar on the other hand is alien technology with a design that doesn't resemble anything Hasselblad have ever done, aimed at a market they have no experience from. Again: They may still succeed, but I can't really see why they should, ..........
Well said.
I would like to add that rich customers in Asia may fall for some European brand names. But they are not completely dump and after some time and experience with the products the pendulum may swing into the other direction, hate that was desire before.
So it is sufficient to say that Hasselblad borrows their faith and surely has to pay interest for that, after some time. ......... and if they are gone in the meantime then other Mfg's will have to reestablish the faith.

M

mjr

I think this is crazy, it's a camera! You guys are all bonkers, sure we all have passion for the tools we use but they are just things.

Hasselblad is a business like any other, heritage and history don't pay the bills. If medium format could sustain the business and let it grow then I guess that's all they would do, it obviously doesn't though. I doubt that the V has been discontinued due to terrific sales but the bosses just feeling spiteful, it's gone because there's no money in it.

For me, and I appreciate I don't share the same opinions as a lot of you, if making daft cameras keeps the brand afloat, people buy them and the company stays in business then I'm all for it! I hope they sell loads of them and can continue to shore up the MFD sales, it would be a huge loss to photography in general if the company folded.

These cameras are obviously not aimed at any of you guys so why not just wish them well and let them get on with it? The release of the lunar will in no way affect the output of any Hasselblad MFD camera, they will still be helping talented photographers produce excellent images.

I think we should all have a beer and chill out!

Have a lovely afternoon!

Mat

T.Karma

........ For me, and I appreciate I don't share the same opinions as a lot of you, .......
These cameras are obviously not aimed at any of you guys so why not just wish them well and let them get on with it?
Mat
Because their design, pricing and marketing is obscene and sick by any standard of taste and sense?
Don't you know that bad taste is contagious? :ROTFL: