The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hasselblad Lunar

stephengilbert

"A fool and his money are soon parted" doesn't cast doubt on Hasselblad's "producing" the Lunar. Unless you believe that there is a shortage of fools, Hasselblad may well make a great deal of money by this move.

I'd think that Hasselblad's involvement in this camera is largely in the area of branding and PR: they didn't design the inside. The question is whether Hasselblad's doing this will have any adverse effect of what they used to do: will they continue to develop and produce cameras that their historic customer base would buy? In part, I think that depends on who is running the company, and what their values are. It may be that there's more money (at least in the short term) in making Sony knock-offs than in making "real" Hasselblads.

Whatever one thinks of Leica's rebadged or designer cameras, Leica kept making Leicas. I hope Hasselblad will do so as well.

cerett

I think this is crazy, it's a camera! You guys are all bonkers, sure we all have passion for the tools we use but they are just things.

Hasselblad is a business like any other, heritage and history don't pay the bills. If medium format could sustain the business and let it grow then I guess that's all they would do, it obviously doesn't though. I doubt that the V has been discontinued due to terrific sales but the bosses just feeling spiteful, it's gone because there's no money in it.

For me, and I appreciate I don't share the same opinions as a lot of you, if making daft cameras keeps the brand afloat, people buy them and the company stays in business then I'm all for it! I hope they sell loads of them and can continue to shore up the MFD sales, it would be a huge loss to photography in general if the company folded.

These cameras are obviously not aimed at any of you guys so why not just wish them well and let them get on with it? The release of the lunar will in no way affect the output of any Hasselblad MFD camera, they will still be helping talented photographers produce excellent images.

I think we should all have a beer and chill out!

Have a lovely afternoon!

Mat
I couldn't agree more! Everything has been said that needs to be said and now this thread is getting repetitious and ugly. I love my H4D-60 and it serves my needs very well. Hasselblad, I wish you the best going forward.

BANKER1

I love my H4D60 as well, and it is a great camera system. I love the lenses, Phocus, and all the pieces and parts. I have also found the the service is world class. However, when you think about it, Hasselblad quit with the V system. The backs are of Imacon heritage, the camera is Fuji, and the lenses are Hasselblad design but are made by Fuji. So one could argue that the current line of H cameras are a cobbled together hodgepodge of parts that make a quite fine digital imaging tool.

All serious amateurs and professionals know the Lunar was not designed for their needs. The real thorn in our sides is to see an outdated sensor and imaging device that is well past its digital lifespan being sold for such an inflated price. It all seems so unseemly to use the Hasselblad heritage to hawk the brand name for a price. Every Hasselblad owner knows the actual fact that they need money to survive if not thrive, and we are all wanting to see them survive for our own self interests. Maybe even some of us want them to succeed for nostalgic reasons as well.

It just seems Fuji or Sony or Panasonic or someone could partner with them and bring up to date digital imaging systems they could sell at a fair price (a la Leica) to bring in the added revenue they need. To many of us, it seems they are simply trying to cash in the name to pay for their investment. That may work short term, but we are pulling for Hasselblad to succeed in the long run.

Greg

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
It seems a shame that they're looking at a different demographic today. Rebadging other cameras and lenses isn't new, my XPan and lenses is a Fuji TX1 system reskined after all, but at least they didn't mark it up 7x and wrap it up in complete bull$$$t.

As Stephen said, at least Leica's bling 'specials' were versions of their own real cameras and even then not so outrageously overpriced compared to Hasselblad pushing the limits. In the case of the PanaLeicas they are premium priced but not stupidly priced.

MaxKißler

I think it's sad that a camera manufacturing company doesn't even care about the images on their website (not all of course). The "people behind the camera" look like really nice guys who deserve a much better representation.
I'm sorry, but IMHO these portraits of their employees are just horrible. It looks like they were shot on the fly with something like a Sony NEX camera ( ;) ).

No seriously, it doesn't have to be very complicated but at least not mixing different like sources with different colour temperatures would be appropriate.

Swissblad

I think the "people behind the camera" says it all - an average < 1 year experience with HB.
It seems that marketing and not the product is the actual issue.
To me HB has ceased to be a serious photographic manufacturer.
This is quite unlike Leica, where there is a premium price - but there is a passion for optical perfection and photographic experience.

Leigh

To me HB has ceased to be a serious photographic manufacturer.
I agree.

I've been a flag-waving card-carrying Hasselblad user since 1970.
My last purchase was a CFV-39 digital back.

That will be my last Hasselblad purchase.

- Leigh

jduncan

Sad, but true......:(
Disagree, I don't see any other thing but Cameras, scanners and related equipment on their site.

This, for me, reads like propaganda or FUD or overwhelming frustration. The made what seems to me a very bad decision.

You can argue they are turning into a Luxury collectable camera company.
But saying, "forget about " and "they are not a camera company" appears to be coming from a different source than factual analysis.

Tibor

You can argue they are turning into a Luxury collectable camera company.
I think this is just part of the story.

If we look closer at the VM Cap website we may conclude that:

1. Ventizz Capital Fund IV L.P. bought Hasselblad in June 2011 because:
- it is an iconic brand for more than 50 years
- the extraordinary quality of the company’s products became famous in 1962 when Hasselblad cameras were selected for NASA space missions, which resulted only a few years later in the first world-renowned images taken on the moon
- there is a strong increase in demand worldwide for Hasselblad cameras, particularly in Asia

2. Ventizz Capital Fund IV L.P. bought Hasselblad to:
- provide it with additional capital for growth strategy
- support it and its management team in entering new market segments

3. The goal of Capital Fund IV L.P. is:
- three to six year investment horizon through to a trade sale or IPO

Source: Vorndran Mannheims Capital - Press and Vorndran Mannheims Capital Advisors GmbH

The VM Cap investment process is described so that after buying a new company (as Ventizz Capital Fund investment) the following steps are taken:
1. care and support, 2. financing of growth and finally 3. exit (IPO / trade sale).

The sole purpose of VM Cap funds is therefore to make profit for its investors (the funds shareholders) through a trade sale or IPO of the bought company after 3 to 6 years of investing in it.

According to VM Cap company presentation http://www.vmcap.de/en/download/130627_Company_Presentation_en.pdf (see page 7) Ventizz Capital Funds I and II have already fully exited and Fund III is in the process of selling its investments for a profit.

To me, the future of Hasselblad therefore looks something like this:

1. 2011 - 2012: market research (particularly with focus on Asia)
2. 2013 - 2014: launch of new products and entering new market segments particularly in Asia (luxury consumer products); building a luxury brand
3. 2015: selling Hasselblad to Sony

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
But why would Sony buy it? Not because of the Lunar. That's their own camera. Not because of the H-system. That's a Fuji, one of their competitors. The brand name? They already rent the Zeiss name when needed, but buy a "luxury" brand when their own name is one of the most recognised in the world? I doubt it.

Fuji might have been interested before the Lunar, but buying a company that uses a camera from a competitor as basis for their most prominent marketing effort is probably out of the question.

Zeiss? If Zeiss were interested, the Lunar would have had Zeiss lenses. This is what strikes me as the most odd thing about this whole spectacle: Hasselblad had a close relationship with Zeiss almost since the beginning of time. Zeiss do make lenses for Sony, the source for the Lunar. Still, Hasselblad have chosen cheap, run-of-the mill lenses for the camera. Using Zeiss lenses would have been such an obvious thing to do for a luxury product. The only reason I can see is if Zeiss is as appalled by the whole project as many of the members of this forum. I wouldn't be surprised.

drevil

Staff member
i dont understand the agitation about this lunar thing, i mean i agree with most people who criticize hasselblad for the lunar, but relax.
if too rich people need to waste their money on stuff they dont need(and most do that all the time)... good for hassel...not bad for you, is it?

i dont care about this camera, like most people who understand at least a bit about photography and technical aspects

cheers

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member

We are just having a nice time talking together, exchanging our opinions and our hopes for the company.

I believe all participants here care about the old and venerable company and think it deserves a better fate than just ending up with the usual trivial 'overpriced luxury' business model.

A lively conversation is not a bad thing, and actually it doesn't happen too often these days :)

jduncan

But why would Sony buy it? Not because of the Lunar. That's their own camera. Not because of the H-system. That's a Fuji, one of their competitors. The brand name? They already rent the Zeiss name when needed, but buy a "luxury" brand when their own name is one of the most recognised in the world? I doubt it.

Fuji might have been interested before the Lunar, but buying a company that uses a camera from a competitor as basis for their most prominent marketing effort is probably out of the question.

Zeiss? If Zeiss were interested, the Lunar would have had Zeiss lenses. This is what strikes me as the most odd thing about this whole spectacle: Hasselblad had a close relationship with Zeiss almost since the beginning of time. Zeiss do make lenses for Sony, the source for the Lunar. Still, Hasselblad have chosen cheap, run-of-the mill lenses for the camera. Using Zeiss lenses would have been such an obvious thing to do for a luxury product. The only reason I can see is if Zeiss is as appalled by the whole project as many of the members of this forum. I wouldn't be surprised.
I will not say that the 35-90 is "cheap, run-of-the mill", but you rise interesting points.

Now, in the other hand, "Sony" is a tinny part of Tibor argument.
So maybe it won't be to Sonny.

In a dream word it will be Phase One, or someone that buys Phase One too.

But I agree with you that I don't see a clear buyer.
They can also go the to the Stock Exchange as Tiber says.

Best regards,

James

fotografz

I will not say that the 35-90 is "cheap, run-of-the mill", but you rise interesting points.

Now, in the other hand, "Sony" is a tinny part of Tibor argument.
So maybe it won't be to Sonny.

In a dream word it will be Phase One, or someone that buys Phase One too.

But I agree with you that I don't see a clear buyer.
They can also go the to the Stock Exchange as Tiber says.

Best regards,

James
He wasn't talking about the Hasselblad designed/Fuji made lenses like the HCD 35-90 which is superlative. He was referencing the Sony made consumer level zoom on the Lunar which is mediocre ... especially at these prices.

- Marc

Tibor

Sony buying Hasselblad at the end was just my speculation. It could be anyone really.

I don`t know if you are familiar with the new Victor magazine by Hasselblad VICTOR by Hasselblad It is big, hardback with high quality glossy printed photographs for just 20 EUR. More a book than a magazine. I have both the Victor Photography Book 1 and 2 and they are really good. I think this move from digital Victor magazine back to a printed one is also a part of their strategy to move to a luxury segment of the market. Imagine these books as coffee table books in jewelry stores, high fashion stores (like Gucci, Prada, ...) and their own Hasselblad photo stores. However, contrary to the Lunar move this one is not expensive and IMHO actually quite good. I must say I prefer a printed magazine / book to a digital one.

And BTW the Lunar ad is of course featured in both Victor Photography books as are a few more ads for luxury fashion (like Gucci). The ads are placed just at the begining and end of the book (I think just 4 or 6 pages of ads in total).

So I think Hasselblad is a very strange photographic brand at the moment but I also expect it will be clear where it is headed within the next 6 months or so.

Swissblad

We are just having a nice time talking together, exchanging our opinions and our hopes for the company.

I believe all participants here care about the old and venerable company and think it deserves a better fate than just ending up with the usual trivial 'overpriced luxury' business model.

A lively conversation is not a bad thing, and actually it doesn't happen too often these days :)
Thanks for putting it into perspective Steen ;)

Chuck Jones

Subscriber Member
Sony buying Hasselblad at the end was just my speculation. It could be anyone really.

I don`t know if you are familiar with the new Victor magazine by Hasselblad VICTOR by Hasselblad It is big, hardback with high quality glossy printed photographs for just 20 EUR. More a book than a magazine. I have both the Victor Photography Book 1 and 2 and they are really good. I think this move from digital Victor magazine back to a printed one is also a part of their strategy to move to a luxury segment of the market. Imagine these books as coffee table books in jewelry stores, high fashion stores (like Gucci, Prada, ...) and their own Hasselblad photo stores. However, contrary to the Lunar move this one is not expensive and IMHO actually quite good. I must say I prefer a printed magazine / book to a digital one.

And BTW the Lunar ad is of course featured in both Victor Photography books as are a few more ads for luxury fashion (like Gucci). The ads are placed just at the begining and end of the book (I think just 4 or 6 pages of ads in total).

So I think Hasselblad is a very strange photographic brand at the moment but I also expect it will be clear where it is headed within the next 6 months or so.
Tibor, you could be right but honestly I am not so sure about Hasselblad anymore. It takes more than money to build a company and to design successful products. You have to have corporate vision & leadership, neither of which I am seeing a whole lot of from Hasselblad anymore. Sad. Very sad.

When the best thing you can point to is VICTOR, in the day and age when print media is dying so rapidly publishers are chasing each other to the bottom, you seriously have to wonder.... I love the book, don't get me wrong. I just have to wonder can it ever be more than a beautiful but costly marketing piece that is questionable how many cameras it moves?