Site Sponsors
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Hasselblad Lunar

Post Thanks / Like

Hasselblad Lunar

Looks like Amazon not only stocks the Lunar, it also sold 3 in the past 2 hours! (When I first saw this they had 7 in stock). Check it out

Amazon.com: Hasselblad Lunar Titanium/Brown Leather Grip 1100182: Camera & Photo

For 6995, you will get this Lunacy and! if you click to enlarge the Amazon stock photo, you will find that the lens hood in the photo is all smudged with finger prints. I mean, come on.

Post Thanks / Like

Talking Re: Hasselblad Lunar

Please use this section Sony - The GetDPI Photography Forums

lens hood in the photo is all smudged with finger prints
    My Flickr
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Hasselblad Lunar

those come standard

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

"Customers Who Viewed This Item Also Viewed"

Makes it interesting.

Through that I found that there is an expensive red painted Pentax 645D that otherwise is listed for the same money as the Lunar.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The sunshade is not covered with fingerprints, this I fear shall imitate some kind of black Marble. I remember I had a waterpistol with that structure when I was about 8 years old...... :-)

because photography is more than technology - and " as we have done this all the time "
    facebook:hcam.de - www.hcam.de - www.hartblei.de

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Stefan Steib View Post
    The sunshade is not covered with fingerprints, this I fear shall imitate some kind of black Marble.
    +1. You can see the same marbling look on the front of the body.

Maybe it's actual marble.
    Doug Peterson , Digital Transitions | Email
    Dealer for: Phase One, Mamiya Leaf, Arca-Swiss, Cambo, Eizo, Profoto
    Office: 877.367.8537. Cell: 740.707.2183

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by dougpeterson View Post
    +1. You can see the same marbling look on the front of the body.

Maybe it's actual marble.
    Sounds heavy. Can we hope that it will sink?
    Things I sell: https://www.shutterstock.com/g/epixx?language=en
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

absolutely horrendous. Hasselblad is doomed.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

What cracks me up is that the NEX7 is listed on the same page for $1,098.

A fool and their money are soon parted ... a blind fool even faster.

- Marc

Post Thanks / Like

Think about the conversations that took place within Hasselblad while creating this camera...

Unbelievable!

It's so sad to see a brand, such as Hasselblad, take to such obnoxious and silly efforts.

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like they've managed to create their own camera version of the Ford Edsel...

Post Thanks / Like

Not fingerprints, just patterns in the carbon fiber. Why is this in MF?

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by JoelM View Post
    Not fingerprints, just patterns in the carbon fiber. Why is this in MF?

Great question.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like

Do you think they will do a Sigma, drop the price and apologize to the suckers? Joe

Post Thanks / Like

i should've posted it in the Sony section. but Hasselblad just linked me to MF!

Post Thanks / Like

Here the first Cutomer Review...some of the best poetry I've read in a long time:

Reflecting on reflecting my individuality individually, June 13, 2013

As Hasselblad puts it, "choosing your grip and top plate material lets you reflect your individuality." This is extremely important to me. When everyone calls himself or herself a "photographer" and takes snapshots with their iphones and Rebels and little NEX cams, I carry around my HASSELBLAD LUNAR knowing better. In a crowd, I take it out in deliberate slow motion, turn it on, and allow it to start. In these few seconds alone, I reflect my individuality (which I believe comes from within me so it's "reflection" only metaphorically) on the others so brightly and powerfully that they are immediately stunned to silence. With the LUNAR they are forced to realize that their own photography is nothing but mass ant-like behavior, whereas mine is one of a kind. This is really Hasselblad's cure to the interrelated foremost diseases of our contemporary world--an oversaturation of images, a consequent visual insensitivity, and uncritical mass conformity.

In terms of photographic functionality, the LUNAR works as it should. It flashes and autofocuses and takes photos, etc. The real purpose of the camera is well summarized by its name: unless I'm mistaken, it is called the LUNAR because it reflects your individuality far and deep into outer space while also bathing our earth with it. HASSELBLAD is the sun, you the moon. There's but one moon in the universe, and it is the primordial photograph. Everybody bears witness to it, loves it, and must reckon with its unique being. The HASSELBLAD LUNAR will render you the very reflection of the moon and, in turn, the moon the very reflection of the reflection of your reflections.

By The Qing Dynasty (Leiden, Netherlands)

Post Thanks / Like

incredible prose. It was my fault for not thinking deeper and ridiculing the Lunar based on its surface attributes. Never did I consider the philosophical intentions and consequences of such a bold device

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by kipling View Post
    Here the first Cutomer Review...some of the best poetry I've read in a long time:

Reflecting on reflecting my individuality individually, June 13, 2013

As Hasselblad puts it, "choosing your grip and top plate material lets you reflect your individuality." This is extremely important to me. When everyone calls himself or herself a "photographer" and takes snapshots with their iphones and Rebels and little NEX cams, I carry around my HASSELBLAD LUNAR knowing better. In a crowd, I take it out in deliberate slow motion, turn it on, and allow it to start. In these few seconds alone, I reflect my individuality (which I believe comes from within me so it's "reflection" only metaphorically) on the others so brightly and powerfully that they are immediately stunned to silence. With the LUNAR they are forced to realize that their own photography is nothing but mass ant-like behavior, whereas mine is one of a kind. This is really Hasselblad's cure to the interrelated foremost diseases of our contemporary world--an oversaturation of images, a consequent visual insensitivity, and uncritical mass conformity.

In terms of photographic functionality, the LUNAR works as it should. It flashes and autofocuses and takes photos, etc. The real purpose of the camera is well summarized by its name: unless I'm mistaken, it is called the LUNAR because it reflects your individuality far and deep into outer space while also bathing our earth with it. HASSELBLAD is the sun, you the moon. There's but one moon in the universe, and it is the primordial photograph. Everybody bears witness to it, loves it, and must reckon with its unique being. The HASSELBLAD LUNAR will render you the very reflection of the moon and, in turn, the moon the very reflection of the reflection of your reflections.

By The Qing Dynasty (Leiden, Netherlands)
    Do you have a link, Kipling? Leiden is closeby and I could attempt to witness the real thing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

"and takes snapshots with... and little NEX cams"

Yeah, we can't create proper photographs with those dinky, little NEX cams, can we...
    Last edited by Jorgen Udvang; 13th June 2013 at 17:24.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mmbma View Post
    i should've posted it in the Sony section. but Hasselblad just linked me to MF!
    It's funny - I had already posted it in the Sony section before you posted it here. But this thread has got way more hits and replies! Probably the Sony guys are too embarassed to acknowledge the association with the Lunar.

Ray

Post Thanks / Like

Ray, my bad!

Here's an actual handheld shot. The Chinese part in me likes it!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Suddenly, this one doesn't look so bad after all:

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mmbma View Post
    Ray, my bad!

Here's an actual handheld shot. The Chinese part in me likes it!

You know, that's pretty cool looking. I can't afford it, so my bank account is safe. ;-)

G

Post Thanks / Like

As a carpenter by trade I can tell you that the wood is not even properly treated. The pores of the grain should be completly filled by filler and the final laquer should be a closed, smooth surface - best high polished with many layers of coating. For this price it should look as smooth as an iphone. This is really reverse of what Hasselblad was in V-times.

"choosing your grip and top plate material lets you reflect your individuality. This is extremely important to me. And the poor who think with ...... "

In all honesty, where can you get those customers? I want some of them. I can give it to them for a much higher price, because it will make them even more individual.

Post Thanks / Like

..... hey, thinking about it:

anyone wants to pimp up his / her camera. I can do it for you - custom made - "made in Germany". Wood, metal - all available, under highest manufacturing standards.

Dont be shy.

I am in service for your individuality.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

For this price, one would also expect the front and back parts to come from the same piece of wood, with matching patterns. And look at the bottom; the pieces don't even align. But maybe they are going for the "Natural Look". In that case, they should watch out. The competition is already getting their revs up. This one even has an optical viewfinder:

Likes 5 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post
    For this price, one would also expect the front and back parts to come from the same piece of wood, with matching patterns. And look at the bottom; the pieces don't even align. ...
    Edit:
    The gaps are really ugly on this one. And imagine all the dirt that gets stuck in these which are all over this design. Even the shutter release has a dirt collector on top. This will fill up with sweat and dust.

Ughhhh, ..... I wonder when the first Lunar's will appear on the bay saying: " .... properly cleaned".

I am heading for the more natural model I think.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by T.Karma View Post
    Edit:
    The gaps are really ugly on this one. And imagine all the dirt that gets stuck in these which are all over this design. Even the shutter release has a dirt collector on top. This will fill up with sweat and dust.

Ughhhh, ..... I wonder when the first Lunar's will appear on the bay saying: " .... properly cleaned".

I am heading for the more natural model I think.
    Oh... but the beautiful people who will buy the Lunar don't sweat, and they will never ever get close to anything dirty. If you want to become clean, you can just shake hands with one of them

Post Thanks / Like

However, all the 'nasty' comments aside: We have to thank Hasselblad to let this exemplary test ballon rise. I cannot remember this has been done before.

But imagine it will be successful. ....... and others want to follow.

Post Thanks / Like

So.... no one making a "fun with" page for the Lunar then?
    If we do, perhaps we can just fill it with good jokes and all

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Admin:

Please chuck this thread out. Not even worth putting it in the sunset section, IMO.

Not only poisons a brand (well, it is the manufacturers mistake) but the whole section (just like the other worthless piece of c%ap elsewhere).

THANK YOU!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    Admin:

Please chuck this thread out. Not even worth putting it in the sunset section, IMO.
    Hey, you can't just seek to wipe a thread because it irritates you. People have put effort into composing their posts here. Please respect that. No-one's broken any site rules.

Ray

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ondebanks View Post
    Hey, you can't just seek to wipe a thread because it irritates you. People have put effort into composing their posts here. Please respect that. No-one's broken any site rules.

Ray
    He bought one

Kidding aside, I don't think these good natured humor would "poison" the hasselblad brand. They've been around for a while, and they can take some sarcastic criticism

Post Thanks / Like

Vivek is right, that this and the other tread do not hold anything inspiring.

But hey, maybe this will scare other Mfg's off to follow the temptation.
    (I do not really think so, but hope dies last, as we all know)
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

atrocious on all levels.

Post Thanks / Like

I´m lost for words. The plastic used for the top plate and the buttons literally screams "cheap". They should have taken the money they had to use for conceiving and advertising this thing and invested it in building some commemorative 503cw instead. Would have been a greater success...

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Slixtiesix View Post
    I´m lost for words. The plastic used for the top plate and the buttons literally screams "cheap". They should have taken the money they had to use for conceiving and advertising this thing and invested it in building some commemorative 503cw instead. Would have been a greater success...
    No, IMO it wouldn't have. Hasselblad has made a number of limited edition Vs and Hs which sold like lead life-preservers to a drowning man.

Not arguing that this Lunar is anything to defend by any criteria ... the fit and finish looks stone-aged ... literally.

If we are going to engage in "Coulda, Woulda, Shoulda" ... they coulda brought out a digital X-Pan or mirrorless full frame 36 X 36 square format camera, and coulda made a unique mark in the marketplace ... most importantly they shoulda killed this abomination right after Photokina, if not well before.

- Marc

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE
    ...a digital X-Pan...
    - Marc[/QUOTE]

Now that is something I would have bought in a heartbeat.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fotografz View Post
    they coulda brought out a digital X-Pan or mirrorless full frame 36 X 36 square format camera
    Two very nice ideas, Marc. I especially like the second one - I'm assuming that by mirrorless you mean something with the fast CMOS technology of a Sony NEX or Fuji X camera.

As for a digital X-Pan...I don't know of any outfit making photographic sensors with a dimension as long as 65mm.

Ray

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well, somehow these Lunar threads remember me to reps filibustering the senat. But there is an important difference: Elvis has neither entered the building, nor has he left the building. At the moment this whole camera is only a lot of hot air marketing "event" which probably causes Hasselblad enormous costs and definitely no income.

Just wait a bit, this thing will kill itself in silence.........
    because photography is more than technology - and " as we have done this all the time "
    facebook:hcam.de - www.hcam.de - www.hartblei.de

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ondebanks View Post
    Two very nice ideas, Marc. I especially like the second one - I'm assuming that by mirrorless you mean something with the fast CMOS technology of a Sony NEX or Fuji X camera.

As for a digital X-Pan...I don't know of any outfit making photographic sensors with a dimension as long as 65mm.

Ray
    Yep, CMOS mirrorless 36 X 36 using Zeiss AF lenses

The X-Pan coulda been 56 wide like the Leaf backs are ...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fotografz View Post
    Yep, CMOS mirrorless 36 X 36 using Zeiss AF lenses

The X-Pan coulda been 56 wide like the Leaf backs are ...

These would be great products Marc .. the question is who would make the sensor's?

Rob

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe this sort of stuff is the future and the highly anticipated new Phase One camera will infact be a high-res Sony (?) CMOS chipped luxury FF 35mm camera??

No sensor manufacturers are jumping to make large CMOS chips and while the new IQ260 chip has some new features, IQ increase was more of a skip than a jump thus forcing MFD manufacturers to rethink their future product road map.

Sobering thought!

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by gazwas View Post
    Maybe this sort of stuff is the future and the highly anticipated new Phase One camera will infact be a high-res Sony (?) CMOS chipped luxury FF 35mm camera??

No sensor manufacturers are jumping to make large CMOS chips and while the new IQ260 chip has some new features, IQ increase was more of a skip than a jump thus forcing MFD manufacturers to rethink their future product road map.
    In case anyone is wondering there is not one thing in this post which is accurate .

Phase One is employee owned and the employees have zero interest in becoming a luxury brand. Not the marketing team, not R+D, not management.

And P1 is always working on the future, including obvious and less obvious paths.
    Doug Peterson , Digital Transitions | Email
    Dealer for: Phase One, Mamiya Leaf, Arca-Swiss, Cambo, Eizo, Profoto
    Office: 877.367.8537. Cell: 740.707.2183

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by RVB View Post
    These would be great products Marc .. the question is who would make the sensor's?

Rob
    Again, these are just "Coulda, Woulda, Shoulda" pipe dreams ...

Leica just forged a new relationship with a sensor maker for the M240 camera. As far as I know, it's a custom design just for them. With the imaging abilities of sensors today, a 36 X 36 square would have been a more appropriate "Lunar" camera and restored Hasselblad's square format mode ... maybe elegant grey leather with silver piping like a Nasa V,

Oh well ...

- Marc

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dougpeterson View Post
    In case anyone is wondering there is not one thing in this post which is accurate .
    Doug relax, not one thing in my post suggests any of what I said was fact.

What I will say though is who would ever have expected Hasselblad to release a rebadged Sony compact camera........?

.... and in the same way I didn't expect Phase One to release the IQ2 without CMOS and the lame DF+........?

Dissapointment all round IMO but at least we're allowed to snipe at the Lunar without repercussion.

Post Thanks / Like

I have been very busy as of late but I felt I had to reply here.

I don't think one can compare the trajectory of the Phase One IQ series products with a rebadge of a Sony compact camera by Hasselblad.

Hasselblad lost a LOT of credibility doing that although the Lunar is what it is. A luxury item. It can be used as a camera but most of the cost is into making it a luxury piece.

The Phase One backs and specially the IQ series are very serious hard core photography tools. The IQ2's are an evolution of the large CCD chip back. They seem well sorted out and the highest realization of a product of that type.

Honestly the only things missing are: great high iso full resolution performance and high quality live view. (and clean long exposures on the 80mp sensor). Not long ago the list was much longer.

I am sure the next generation will take care of the remaining items. As they are now, the backs are superb.

The Lunar, well, it can be compared to a birkin bag, for photography people.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_R View Post
    I don't think one can compare the trajectory of the Phase One IQ series products with a rebadge of a Sony compact camera by Hasselblad.
    I agree that the Phase backs are superb products but I think while we balk at the Lunar, its attempting to find a market for itself where the fact that its so expensive makes it desirable to some. With that I find similarities to the whole MFD ecosystem where it has become more of a rich boys club of photography rather than a necessity.

I'm sure few of us need to shoot with a MFD over other cameras (formats) but I wanted the best. However, I'd be the first to admit that part of that attraction was because it was so expensive and that made it so special and desirable.

While we can all sit back with the knowledge we are the top tier as we all have large CCD's in our cameras and pass judgement over a camera that is more about looks and the person holding it than anything else, a piece of me feels a bit hypocritical.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I wanted the best quality I could afford. While my cash outlay may signal my seriousness, I'd be just as happy with the same equipment at half the price---or less. What drove me to the MFDB and the tech cam was a love of exquisite detail and that love goes all the way back to the film days when I was willing to work with sheet film for that same effect. I don't find it essential all the time but at other times it is the icing on the cake.

I agree that the Phase backs are superb products but I think while we balk at the Lunar, its attempting to find a market for itself where the fact that its so expensive makes it desirable to some. With that I find similarities to the whole MFD ecosystem where it has become more of a rich boys club of photography rather than a necessity.

I'm sure few of us need to shoot with a MFD over other cameras (formats) but I wanted the best. However, I'd be the first to admit that part of that attraction was because it was so expensive and that made it so special and desirable.

While we can all sit back with the knowledge we are the top tier as we all have large CCD's in our cameras and pass judgement over a camera that is more about looks and the person holding it than anything else, a piece of me feels a bit hypocritical.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I see it differently. If I may explain ...

While I'm sure there are those who fit the description of "Rich Boys Club of Photography", I'd hazard a guess that there are many advanced amateurs who made a financial stretch to get into MFD ... perhaps at the sacrifice of other nice things in life. Many who quietly go about making images with a passion for photography, and a love of the MFD process as much as the results.

Then there are the more practical practitioners, (on this forum represented by folks like me, Guy and others), who make/made money from MFD tools. For many, many years, I charged a digital capture fee for every job because I bought my gear rather than rented it. In a sense, I paid less of my own money than most have to in order to get into MFD, or to upgrade every 2 years ... until the economy collapsed ... and then I decided to retire anyway.

Now, I am much more like the advanced amateur in that I enjoy shooting for the sake of it, and do so with my S2 kit at every opportunity. I sold all of the big gun Hasselblad H4D/60 stuff because it had served its purpose, and am using the extra cash to get the other things in life I had sacrificed to build and equip a commercial studio.

Personally, I don't prance around toni locations with my Leica dangling at my side. I go off on my own and enjoy making some photos ... with a finely made tactile tool, and excellent lenses with image making qualities I appreciate. The whole process is therapeutic, and creatively involving. If I didn't have the money for this tool, I'd use another ... but I do have the money, so I do.

- Marc