The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

I need an advice on wide angle lens

Pics2

I'm thinking about adding a wide angle lens for my studio view camera + IQ 160. Since I do studio still life it won't be my main lens, so I don't want to spend too much money. I'll be buying used, something in 45-60mm range.
I narrowed my search to Rodenstock Apo-Sironar Digital 45mm and 55mm, and Schneider Apo Digitar 47mm, or even 60mm.
I don't have any experience with WA lenses for large format, so is there any big difference between these lenses in terms of overall image quality, sharpness etc?
Since, there are, for some reason, many Apo Sironar Digitals 55mm for good price on Ebay, I may buy this one? I'll be using it in the studio for some more dramatic still life shots.
Thanks!

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
If buying a used lens I'd try very hard to get your hands on it for hands-on testing before committing. Especially with wide angles minor misalignments can make big differences in final quality. Also add the cost of an early shutter replacement as it's hard to know how much use the shutter has gone through and whether they user followed best practices (e.g. not changing shutter speed when the lens is cocked).

Technical Camera Overview has lens image circles, weights, and sizes
Technical Camera Visualizers has a comparison of image circle size and sensor size

Both will leave you a bit shy of a full understanding of the relative movements allowed since Schneider is a bit optimistic with their image circles and produce more color cast (at similar focal lengths and the same movement).

If the 60XL is in your budget and is acceptably wide for your needs I'd go with that personally. Incredibly sharp, virtually no chromatic aberration, and great look to out of focus areas.

gazwas

My initial reaction would also be the SK60XL but I'd want to test it out first.

The problem with the SK glass is at the expense of their compact size and virtually none existent distortion comes chronic field curvature and I'm guessing the further from infinity, the worse it gets. Also as image height increases (closer focusing) the more detraction limited the lenses get. So, while at infinity f11 - f16 is acceptable, the closer you focus, the wider the aperture to get acceptably sharp images and compounds the issue with overcoming the field curvature.

With that in mind and depending on the subject the 47XL (and wider) might struggle, especially under movements. Worth a test before you buy any IMO.

Pics2

Thanks Gareth.
It's becoming confusing for me now. There is nothing revolutionary happening in the macro range lenses for ages, and since I mostly use macro, I didn't even notice these XL lenses.
Why are they not listed at official Schneideroptics site? It's very hard to find any info about 60XL. And I just saw in non XL Digitar 60mm (and 80mm, too) specs that the recommended sensor size is 36/48mm. I can't even use it with IQ160.

Not sure what you're using for a view camera but you may also find the need for a wa bellows.

FWIW, I shoot with a Cambo Ultima 23. Typically use either the 100 or 150 mm Rodenstock Sironar's for table top food (non-digital and left over from my film days). For WA I use an old 90 Super Angulon which definitely needs the soft bellows and recessed lens board.

Pics2

Not sure what you're using for a view camera but you may also find the need for a wa bellows.

FWIW, I shoot with a Cambo Ultima 23. Typically use either the 100 or 150 mm Rodenstock Sironar's for table top food (non-digital and left over from my film days). For WA I use an old 90 Super Angulon which definitely needs the soft bellows and recessed lens board.
Thanks, I forgot about that. I'll have to purchase that, too.

Steve Hendrix

I'm thinking about adding a wide angle lens for my studio view camera + IQ 160. Since I do studio still life it won't be my main lens, so I don't want to spend too much money. I'll be buying used, something in 45-60mm range.
I narrowed my search to Rodenstock Apo-Sironar Digital 45mm and 55mm, and Schneider Apo Digitar 47mm, or even 60mm.
I don't have any experience with WA lenses for large format, so is there any big difference between these lenses in terms of overall image quality, sharpness etc?
Since, there are, for some reason, many Apo Sironar Digitals 55mm for good price on Ebay, I may buy this one? I'll be using it in the studio for some more dramatic still life shots.
Thanks!

I feel that the APO Sironar 55 and the Schneider 60 L (it is technically an L, not XL lens) would be your best choices. The Schneider 60 is an outstanding lens, but it is expensive, and I don't know that the lens curvature would come into play in the manner in which compact Schneider lenses do. The Schneider 60 is actually not compact at all (95mm thread).

The Apo Sironar 55 is a bargain if you find one, and a better choice than the 45mm of the same family or the Schneider 47mm.

Steve Hendrix
Capture Integration

Pics2

Thanks, Steve. I narrowed my choice to Apo Sironars 45 and 55, so this information will help me decide now. I'll go with 55 for now, since 6oXL is a bit expensive, having in mind that it will not play very important role in my workflow. If it turns out to be more important than I thought, I'll go with more serious investment.
Thank you all!

Steve Hendrix

I feel that the APO Sironar 55 and the Schneider 60 L (it is technically an L, not XL lens) would be your best choices. The Schneider 60 is an outstanding lens, but it is expensive, and I don't know that the lens curvature would come into play in the manner in which compact Schneider lenses do. The Schneider 60 is actually not compact at all (95mm thread).

The Apo Sironar 55 is a bargain if you find one, and a better choice than the 45mm of the same family or the Schneider 47mm.

Steve Hendrix
Capture Integration

Actually, (I have to correct myself), the Schneider 60/5.6 is classified as an XL, not an L, though you may find it displayed both ways on Schneider data sheets. Makes sense it is classified as an XL, given the large image circle. Not that it matters much what it's called, it's a great lens.

Steve Hendrix
Capture Integration

Pics2

Yes, I figured out that it was a mistake. 60/4 has much smaller image circle, not suitable for IQ160. I didn't know that before, luckily I didn't buy one without asking you guys first.

Pics2

OK, I just came across another dilemma, so I thought to take advantage of already existing thread. I see there are two 55mm Rodenstock digital lenses. The standard Apo Sironar Digital with purple color line and Apo Sinaron Digital with green line (with Sinar word on it). Is this the same lens, just with Sinar brand on it, or is it a different lens?