Site Sponsors
Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: I need an advice on wide angle lens

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    122
    Post Thanks / Like

    I need an advice on wide angle lens

    I'm thinking about adding a wide angle lens for my studio view camera + IQ 160. Since I do studio still life it won't be my main lens, so I don't want to spend too much money. I'll be buying used, something in 45-60mm range.
    I narrowed my search to Rodenstock Apo-Sironar Digital 45mm and 55mm, and Schneider Apo Digitar 47mm, or even 60mm.
    I don't have any experience with WA lenses for large format, so is there any big difference between these lenses in terms of overall image quality, sharpness etc?
    Since, there are, for some reason, many Apo Sironar Digitals 55mm for good price on Ebay, I may buy this one? I'll be using it in the studio for some more dramatic still life shots.
    Thanks!

  2. #2
    Workshop Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    3,275
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    7

    Re: I need an advice on wide angle lens

    If buying a used lens I'd try very hard to get your hands on it for hands-on testing before committing. Especially with wide angles minor misalignments can make big differences in final quality. Also add the cost of an early shutter replacement as it's hard to know how much use the shutter has gone through and whether they user followed best practices (e.g. not changing shutter speed when the lens is cocked).

    Technical Camera Overview has lens image circles, weights, and sizes
    Technical Camera Visualizers has a comparison of image circle size and sensor size

    Both will leave you a bit shy of a full understanding of the relative movements allowed since Schneider is a bit optimistic with their image circles and produce more color cast (at similar focal lengths and the same movement).

    If the 60XL is in your budget and is acceptably wide for your needs I'd go with that personally. Incredibly sharp, virtually no chromatic aberration, and great look to out of focus areas.
    Doug Peterson , Digital Transitions | Email
    Dealer for: Phase One, Mamiya Leaf, Arca-Swiss, Cambo, Eizo, Profoto
    Office: 877.367.8537. Cell: 740.707.2183
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    122
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: I need an advice on wide angle lens

    Thanks, Doug! yes, I think 60 would be wide enough.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,387
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: I need an advice on wide angle lens

    My initial reaction would also be the SK60XL but I'd want to test it out first.

    The problem with the SK glass is at the expense of their compact size and virtually none existent distortion comes chronic field curvature and I'm guessing the further from infinity, the worse it gets. Also as image height increases (closer focusing) the more detraction limited the lenses get. So, while at infinity f11 - f16 is acceptable, the closer you focus, the wider the aperture to get acceptably sharp images and compounds the issue with overcoming the field curvature.

    With that in mind and depending on the subject the 47XL (and wider) might struggle, especially under movements. Worth a test before you buy any IMO.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    122
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: I need an advice on wide angle lens

    Thanks Gareth.
    It's becoming confusing for me now. There is nothing revolutionary happening in the macro range lenses for ages, and since I mostly use macro, I didn't even notice these XL lenses.
    Why are they not listed at official Schneideroptics site? It's very hard to find any info about 60XL. And I just saw in non XL Digitar 60mm (and 80mm, too) specs that the recommended sensor size is 36/48mm. I can't even use it with IQ160.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,387
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: I need an advice on wide angle lens

    Sorry, I think we're confusing you as after checking I'm not sure Schneider refer to the new 60mm as an XL lens but that is how it's usually refered to in this forum.

    There are two versions of the SK60mm. An f4.0 and an f5.6, the latter being the new lens.

    https://www.schneideroptics.com/ecom...=1326&IID=8299

    Still not much info on the site though so possibly Doug has more info and the charts for this lens?

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    122
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: I need an advice on wide angle lens

    Ok, I see that now, thanks!

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    US
    Posts
    41
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: I need an advice on wide angle lens

    Not sure what you're using for a view camera but you may also find the need for a wa bellows.

    FWIW, I shoot with a Cambo Ultima 23. Typically use either the 100 or 150 mm Rodenstock Sironar's for table top food (non-digital and left over from my film days). For WA I use an old 90 Super Angulon which definitely needs the soft bellows and recessed lens board.

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    122
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: I need an advice on wide angle lens

    Quote Originally Posted by FoodShooter View Post
    Not sure what you're using for a view camera but you may also find the need for a wa bellows.

    FWIW, I shoot with a Cambo Ultima 23. Typically use either the 100 or 150 mm Rodenstock Sironar's for table top food (non-digital and left over from my film days). For WA I use an old 90 Super Angulon which definitely needs the soft bellows and recessed lens board.
    Thanks, I forgot about that. I'll have to purchase that, too.

  10. #10
    Senior Member Steve Hendrix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    420
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    4

    Re: I need an advice on wide angle lens

    Quote Originally Posted by Pics2 View Post
    I'm thinking about adding a wide angle lens for my studio view camera + IQ 160. Since I do studio still life it won't be my main lens, so I don't want to spend too much money. I'll be buying used, something in 45-60mm range.
    I narrowed my search to Rodenstock Apo-Sironar Digital 45mm and 55mm, and Schneider Apo Digitar 47mm, or even 60mm.
    I don't have any experience with WA lenses for large format, so is there any big difference between these lenses in terms of overall image quality, sharpness etc?
    Since, there are, for some reason, many Apo Sironar Digitals 55mm for good price on Ebay, I may buy this one? I'll be using it in the studio for some more dramatic still life shots.
    Thanks!

    I feel that the APO Sironar 55 and the Schneider 60 L (it is technically an L, not XL lens) would be your best choices. The Schneider 60 is an outstanding lens, but it is expensive, and I don't know that the lens curvature would come into play in the manner in which compact Schneider lenses do. The Schneider 60 is actually not compact at all (95mm thread).

    The Apo Sironar 55 is a bargain if you find one, and a better choice than the 45mm of the same family or the Schneider 47mm.


    Steve Hendrix
    Capture Integration
    Steve Hendrix, Sales Manager, www.captureintegration.com (e-mail Me)
    Digital Cam: Phase One | Leaf | Leica | Sinar Authorized Reseller
    TechCam: Alpa | Cambo | Arca Swiss | Sinar Authorized Reseller

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    122
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: I need an advice on wide angle lens

    Thanks, Steve. I narrowed my choice to Apo Sironars 45 and 55, so this information will help me decide now. I'll go with 55 for now, since 6oXL is a bit expensive, having in mind that it will not play very important role in my workflow. If it turns out to be more important than I thought, I'll go with more serious investment.
    Thank you all!

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    655
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: I need an advice on wide angle lens

    HR32...

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    122
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: I need an advice on wide angle lens

    Quote Originally Posted by shortpballer View Post
    HR32...
    Yes, I hear that it's a great lens. But, a bit expensive and too wide for what I want to use it for.

  14. #14
    Senior Member Steve Hendrix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    420
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    4

    Re: I need an advice on wide angle lens

    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Hendrix View Post
    I feel that the APO Sironar 55 and the Schneider 60 L (it is technically an L, not XL lens) would be your best choices. The Schneider 60 is an outstanding lens, but it is expensive, and I don't know that the lens curvature would come into play in the manner in which compact Schneider lenses do. The Schneider 60 is actually not compact at all (95mm thread).

    The Apo Sironar 55 is a bargain if you find one, and a better choice than the 45mm of the same family or the Schneider 47mm.


    Steve Hendrix
    Capture Integration

    Actually, (I have to correct myself), the Schneider 60/5.6 is classified as an XL, not an L, though you may find it displayed both ways on Schneider data sheets. Makes sense it is classified as an XL, given the large image circle. Not that it matters much what it's called, it's a great lens.


    Steve Hendrix
    Capture Integration
    Steve Hendrix, Sales Manager, www.captureintegration.com (e-mail Me)
    Digital Cam: Phase One | Leaf | Leica | Sinar Authorized Reseller
    TechCam: Alpa | Cambo | Arca Swiss | Sinar Authorized Reseller

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    122
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: I need an advice on wide angle lens

    Yes, I figured out that it was a mistake. 60/4 has much smaller image circle, not suitable for IQ160. I didn't know that before, luckily I didn't buy one without asking you guys first.

  16. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    122
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: I need an advice on wide angle lens

    OK, I just came across another dilemma, so I thought to take advantage of already existing thread. I see there are two 55mm Rodenstock digital lenses. The standard Apo Sironar Digital with purple color line and Apo Sinaron Digital with green line (with Sinar word on it). Is this the same lens, just with Sinar brand on it, or is it a different lens?

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •