The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Any experience with the Leica S 30-90 vario

mmbma

I am not able to find a detailed review of this lens anywhere online. Does anyone use it here? How does it compare to the primes such as 70/2.5 in terms of image quality? (I understand the different aperture).

Thank you

Michael

mmbma

Thanks
Really looking for a DOF comparison between the primes and the zoom. For example. what's the DOF different between 2.5 and F4 on the 70mm Summarit and the 70mm zoom equivalent.

mmbma

Not much difference between F2.5 and F4 right? Even on the prime lenses. I'm trying to figure out if I could live with F4. I shoot mainly outdoors

mmbma

well I grabbed both of the primes and the zoom. I'll do a comparison and post it here. Then return the ones I don't need

GMB

I posted some shots in the "show us your S2 shots" thread in the leica section of this forum. Frankly, this lens s a killer. I also reported in that thread about a test a German pro dod comparing the 30-90 and the primes where, if anything, thevzoom came out on top.

If you want very narrow DOF, there is no alternative to thevprimes, but the zoom does allow to isoate a subject, and i did some very nice portraits at 90 mm.

AreBee

Georg,

I also reported in that thread about a test a German pro dod comparing the 30-90 and the primes where, if anything, thevzoom came out on top.
I don't doubt that the zoom is exceptional, and that some compositions will lend themselves to the zoom performance across the frame moreso than the equivalent prime. However, according to the MTF plots, the primes (including interpolating between the 70mm and 120mm for a theoretical 90mm) are clearly superior to the zoom, principally toward the edges and corners of the frame.