The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Weird dust particles on the Leica sensor??

aCIDfire

I´d like to ask what do you think about these "unusual" particles on the Leica S2 sensor, are they dust particles, some defect on sensor? Images bellow are from Leica S2 camera which I´am going to buy from one FM member. Cropped 100% from DNG file. He tried to clean the sensor with sensor swabs and the dots are still there after using 3 sensor swabs. Maybe really small dust that's very stuck?? They look different from other dust particles but I don´t think they could be some defects on the sensor, Leica has very tight output quality control so the sensor would not go out from factory? What do you think? Camera is almost in new condition with about 1400 auctuations but used&without warranty.

Paul2660

I would be confident to say those are from a liquid of some type. More than likely oil. I had similar issue with Canon with their 1ds and 1ds mkii. Give away is hard bot in the center initial impact then outer larger area is spread.

Should clean off with the correct solvent. However as its a Lecia it might need to be sent to them.

Paul Caldwell

Last edited:

Shashin

It could be some stubborn dust. Simply clean the sensor again. Are you putting pressure on the swab or are you lightly touching it. The glass is not something easily broken.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Give it a wet clean. As mentioned they just look like dust/oil spots and nothing unusual. If you're not sure then ask for it to be cleaned professionally before you accept it.

johnnygoesdigital

It seems to be the infamous "spittle", when one decides to blow on the sensor instead of using a blower brush. I doubt this will show on photos even at the closest focus point.

coulombic

Having experienced the exact same aberration, I do not believe any of these answers are actually correct. The best way I can describe it is "ringworm around a dark spot." I don't believe it's liquid or "spittle," as my sensor is completely dry, and I do not clean it with canned air. I suspect it's some sort of diffraction-based aberration with very small particles of dust. In the past, when I have noticed this, a thorough cleansing of the sensor with Eclypse and Pec Pads has done the trick.

coulombic

Doesn't seem like you read all the replies ... :)
No, I did. I just don't think any of them were necessarily correct in the root of the cause. I do absolutely agree that it's something that will clean off with a wet cleaning solution, however, as I have personally experienced the same.

ondebanks

They're just some specks on the filter over the sensor. The tell-tale sign is that they cast a broad diffuse shadow. If they were specks on the CCD itself, they would cast a small hard shadow with hardly any light transmission.

Ray

johnnygoesdigital

Actually, there' s no way of knowing what it is on the S2 sensor, but pec-pads do work great, although they can also leave lint. Always use just one side per cleaning direction so you don't drag dirt across the sensor again. Try to view the sensor glass at an angle to see if there's any pitting, but otherwise agree with Graham, get it professionally cleaned by a reputable camera tech.