The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Contax 645 35mm lens hood alternative ?

A

Aitor

Hi,
I have a contax 35mm without the hood. I use to check ebay to try to find one but it is very hard to find it. ( and I figure out very very pricy ).
Does you know any alternative hood for this lens.
I have been checking the LEE Wide-Angle Lens Hood but dont't know it it will vigñetting.
Any ideas ?
regards.

engel001

If you are looking for a wideangle hood to fit the Contax bayonet, the correct one is the BG-101. An alternative original hood which to me looks almost identical and works perfectly is the BG-103 for the 17-35mm N zoom lens (diagonal angle of view 102 degrees). It is also hard to find and expensive. For this reason searched for and bought a 95mm generic threaded wide-angle metal hood. Heliopan sells a rubber hood at B&H. I got a 95mm metal hood from eBay seller heavystar ($48). I do find it is a bit shallow for the 35mm lens which has a 90 degree angle of view. I like those generic metal hoods, they are well made and using a polarizer is as easy as rotating the hood instead of groping inside.

By the way, I recently got a Pentax K20D which is a really nice, carry-around camera. The kit lens (18-55mm II) is unusually good for the price and in my tests beats some excellent Pentax primes. What I particularly like about the Pentax hood is that you can remove a part of the hood to rotate a 49mm polarizer without having to reach from the front.

irakly

Hi,
I have a contax 35mm without the hood. I use to check ebay to try to find one but it is very hard to find it. ( and I figure out very very pricy ).
Does you know any alternative hood for this lens.
I have been checking the LEE Wide-Angle Lens Hood but dont't know it it will vigñetting.
Any ideas ?
regards.
if you could afford the lens, i am sure you can skip a couple of sushi lunches and buy the hood. remember that it actually increases value of your system should you want to resell it, among other things.

carstenw

The hood can be rather expensive. After getting a really good deal on the 35mm f/3.5, I blew it by getting impatient and buying the only one I could find at the time for $220... Still, I would do it again.

A

Aitor

Yes, I know the BG-101 is the way to go but it is very very hard to find . I use to check ebay fot it and never find it. I have seen it once or two times but one must bid inmediately and sometimes is not the best budget moment so the time goes and I don´t have it. That's why I have beeen searching another option and when I could afford and find it go for it.

carstenw

A

Aitor

thanks for the links.
In the 1º web I can't find the contact email .
Unfortunately I don´t know any chinese .
But I have write to the japan website.
thanks again.

fotografz

Man, that is getting ridiclous ... depending on use, I'd skip the over priced Contax hoods and get a LEE system hood ... you can get any sized adapter to fit all your lenses and ones for other cameras also ... not to mention that the LEE Bellows hood is more effective anyway.

D

DougDolde

I use the Lee wide angle hood without any vignetting. Only the Lee 105mm polarizer vignettes with this lens.

carstenw

Jack, I am not sure if the Tiffen and Heavystar hoods make much sense on a lens this fine, and this expensive. The Heavystar especially only appears to cover the very lowest level of the original hood, depicted here.

If you are looking for good flare control, and can't find the original, then perhaps the Lee is the better choice, at least if the one mentioned here is the bellows version. It looks somewhat more cumbersome though, but probably provides better shading of the lens, especially if you are using a crop-factor digital back.

View attachment 10321

View attachment 10322

A

Aitor

Jack, I am not sure if the Tiffen and Heavystar h

If you are looking for good flare control, and can't find the original, then perhaps the Lee is the better choice,
I will try to find the original, If I can´t I will buy the LEE. There is a good exchange pounds vs. Euro now and its price have drop.
And the filter holder option is interenting too, specially for ND graduated that I use very often.
Thanks for all of your answers .
Happy New Year. :thumbs: