The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Renting Phase One on a (very tight) budget

jars121

G'day everyone,

I'm a university student that's got a 3-4 day shoot lined up for July. I'd really love to try a Phase One back on my Fuji GX680III, but the rental prices I've found are astronomical! I'd be looking for one of the older P series backs, but even these are around the $3-400 mark per day!

Is there a way to try out a MFDB on the (relative) cheap?

I'm in Sydney, Australia (if that helps), which may explain the exorbitant price...

gazwas

Actually sounds cheap for a day rate!

Short of a dealer lending you one to try because you want to buy a back (which you're not) and someone lending you theirs for a week which is highly unlikely and a big ask (they cost the owner a lot to buy), I think you have no choice.

Pass the hire charge onto the customer if they stipulate the large file size of MFD or shoot/hire another format.

jars121

When in July?
Either the 11th-14th or the 12th-15th (depending on the final schedule).

EDIT: Thanks for replying :)

Actually sounds cheap for a day rate!

Short of a dealer lending you one to try because you want to buy a back (which you're not) and someone lending you theirs for a week which is highly unlikely and a big ask (they cost the owner a lot to buy), I think you have no choice.

Pass the hire charge onto the customer if they stipulate the large file size of MFD or shoot/hire another format.
This is pretty much what I had determined :( I've always planned on getting a DB for the 680III at some point, and figured this shoot (food, product and some portraiture) would be a pretty good testing ground. As I'm looking for a P series, it's unlikely that I'd find a distributor with one to 'try out' given their age.

So, it's either buy without testing, or rent an iQ which I won't be able to buy! haha

EDIT: Thanks for your input :)

gazwas

Both P40 and P65 are still current products and both are available new and refurb through dealers as far as I'm aware.

However, as a student I wouldn't recomment MFD as its a money pit which you will never recoupe. I would have thought a Nikon D800 would serve you better as even many full time pro's are jumping to these and selling off all their MF kit.

jars121

Yeah that's a fair call. I don't look to make money out of my photography, but I do get opportunities like these from time to time. I've almost finished building a large commercial-ish darkroom with two friends, which is part of my plan to move more towards film/medium format and away from DSLR. I've got decent Nikon gear already, but I just don't enjoy shooting with it, so I will be selling all of that, which is why I don't mind spending on the MFDB.

Pics2

Gareth is right, you can still buy P series new or refurbished from dealers. But, if your budget is real tight and you still want to enjoy MF digital, you could go with Leaf Aptus 5. It's still an amazing back and the cheapest around.

jars121

I'd love an Aptus 5, I'm afraid it's out of my price range for the moment. I'd be looking to spend around the $3000 mark, which is why I'm looking at the P20 generation of backs. I've explicitly listed Phase One, as I have a Phase One One-Shot adapter for the GX680III, but I'd just as happily get an Aptus 22.

Pics2

Yes, I meant Aptus 22, too. It's older, but it's the same sensor. And for some reason used Leaf backs are cheaper than P1.

jars121

Yes, I meant Aptus 22, too. It's older, but it's the same sensor. And for some reason used Leaf backs are cheaper than P1.
Yeah I've found that as well which is interesting...

I quite like the physical design of the Aptus over the P1, but that's just being picky :)

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Unfortunately the dates don't work for me - I'm in Sydney for work at the moment but away those dates. I have a P25+ & IQ160 with me but only with my Alpas. For the Fuji you'd need an adapter anyway.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
However, as a student I wouldn't recomment MFD as its a money pit which you will never recoupe. I would have thought a Nikon D800 would serve you better as even many full time pro's are jumping to these and selling off all their MF kit.
Of course every day we have pro's jumping into MF kit.

Net net the last few years have been very good to MF.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
G'day everyone,

I'm a university student that's got a 3-4 day shoot lined up for July. I'd really love to try a Phase One back on my Fuji GX680III, but the rental prices I've found are astronomical! I'd be looking for one of the older P series backs, but even these are around the $3-400 mark per day!

Is there a way to try out a MFDB on the (relative) cheap?

I'm in Sydney, Australia (if that helps), which may explain the exorbitant price...
Basically no. $300-$400/day is pretty low already. Prices in NYC are significantly higher.

At this end of the market (the very tight budget end) it makes almost no sense to rent, as even a few days of rental is a significant % of a purchase.

The only "outside the box" solution I can think of is to find someone who is trying to sell a lower-end back and is having trouble finding a buyer and offer to rent it from them. That kind of situation would engender itself to very favorable pricing as 1) they clearly don't need it themselves 2) it's sitting there not making any money for them while they are looking to sell.

Even so I can't imagine renting even a P25 non plus for less than $200/day, and only to someone with proper insurance or ability to provide a full-value deposit.

As to working with a dealer I'd definitely still call around - can't hurt. As an example our pre-owned digital back inventory usually starts around P30+/P45+ units. But occasionally we have a P25+ or P20+ and on rare occasion even an H25 or H20. If we have one on the shelf and someone wants to rent it we can usually give them a pretty good deal - at least relative to the price of newer backs in the NYC market.

Though as Graham mentioned the Fuji 680 adapter is going to be even more elusive to find in rental inventory than the digital back.

Last edited:

gazwas

Of course every day we have pro's jumping into MF kit.

Net net the last few years have been very good to MF.
Jeeze Doug, stop thinking of the botton line for once. This guy is a student not charging for the shoot and IMO not the best advocate of MFD at this stage in his career.

gazwas

I've got decent Nikon gear already, but I just don't enjoy shooting with it, so I will be selling all of that, which is why I don't mind spending on the MFDB.
Why don't you enjoy shooting the Nikon as in my experience (Canon), 35mm FF SLR are amongst the most accomplished and functionally excellent cameras you can buy. If you select your lenses carefully the quality can be staggering, especially as it will easily adapt to all the subjects you mention above.

What I have found with all my 35mm, MF SLR and tech camera gear is its often not so much about the camera (sensor) you use but the lens, tripod, head and lighting equipment that help make the experience so much more enjoyable and rewarding.

Selling your Nikon gear is a big mistake IMO and I would add a MFD system as funds allow as your career progresses. In the subject areas of the shoot you mention, investment in other areas will present greater rewards than buying a p20.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Jeeze Doug, stop thinking of the botton line for once. This guy is a student not charging for the shoot and IMO not the best advocate of MFD at this stage in his career.
I'd agree with you whole heartedly that for most college students just starting their career would be better served spending the money on marketing, workshops, travel (especially to meet with photographers, art directors, art buyers etc), and expenses for shoots to build their portfolio. For many students the ability of a camera to do many things pretty well (rather than a select number of things excellently) is usually a strong consideration as well, since it's not always clear what area of photography they'll end up doing.

I just don't think this student falls into "most students" based on his post.
- He has a Fuji 680 he enjoys using, so clearly he doesn't need to be warned about the slower pace and lower automation of medium format, nor about the fact that medium format won't do everything (video, high ISO, low light, fast action tracking etc)
- He has a Nikon and doesn't enjoy using it
- He's looking for a back in the $3k range and it sounds like he'll be buying it outright and not going into debt for it
- He's looking for a way to rent/try one, not just buy one sight unseen, so if it isn't right for him (e.g. the crop factor off the 680 format is too much) he'll find out pretty quickly

The guy is in Australia (which we don't normally sell into) and looking to buy a back in a market segment we don't normally participate in (early gen P backs). And I'm not even on commission or in sales (though obviously as an employee of a company that sells gear/education/service I have an inherent interest in sales). You really think I have green clouds in my eyes? :facesmack: You must really have a low opinion of me. :cry:

gerald.d

Never pass up an opportunity to drop in some links for SEO though, eh?

The fact that behaviour like this is allowed to carry on here is why I left this place and will no longer contribute positively to it.

It is disgraceful the way this site is being gamed by Digital Transitions, and judging from the number of supportive PM's I received, I'm not the only one who thinks that way.

kdphotography

The fact that behaviour like this is allowed to carry on here is why I left this place and will no longer contribute positively to it.
Seriously Gerald, please get some thicker skin---and continue to share your Alpa and FPS experiences. I'll probably never be able to own an Alpa, but do enjoy reading about the Alpa and other systems. :)

kdphotography

Ahh you're a legend anyway Graham, thanks for thinking of me :)
You think he's there to help you, and before you know it, you've liquidated your savings and are contemplating buying a roller case (as big as Graham's) to carry all your newly acquired medium format digital booty...

:ROTFL: