The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Lens corrections for Rodenstock 40HR?

tashley

Subscriber Member
Not sure why but C1 doesn't have the correction profiles for this lens built in but from time to time I would really like to correct the files and am having problems using the simple distortion corrections built into C1 and LR.

I'd rather avoid a round trip through the Alpa software if possible. Any tips from other users as to how best to deal with it?

Thanks!
Tim

Frederic

AFAIK you can build your own lens correction profiles for use in LR/ACR, but that means creating one for each shift/rise movement... for now the the Alpa plugin seems the easiest way to me.

narikin

I just ran an Alpa HR90mm image through PS lens correction to remove a very small amount of Barrel distortion, and the image is notably softened by it. Very visible difference.

I'll take the sharper image with a bit of distortion, thank you very much

tashley

Subscriber Member
I've been experimenting with the Alpa corrector today and didn't notice any softening (but I am on a Retina display so that's equivalent to about a 227dpi print which can hide a touch of softness).

However, I have realised that there's nothing to be done for tilt.... I took this shot this morning with 0.7 degree tilt and here's a version slightly tweaked in LR but the crop that follows is from the original and shows the sort of distortion that it would be nice to be able to correct. I am not sure whether, with tilted shots (possibly tilted and shifted) one should apply as much as the software allows (i.e. with the correct parameters for lens and shift etc. I am also unsure as to how best to use the correction profiles with Sinf and S33 at the end of their filenames. At which subject distance should one switch from Sinf to S33 and can I assume that the short barrel versions of the lens mounted on Alpa shift adaptor use the same profiles. As usual with Alpa, the documentation is rather brief, and written in Swinglish.... on the other hand, I am finding it quite easy to get my movements and focus right. This one has focus everywhere.