The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hy6 mod2 focus offset adjustment

Rollei6008i

Hello , Hy6 experts,

I have an question on adjustment of Hy6 mod2 focus offset , is it neceessary for MF lenses ? If I only focus by my eye sight , is it still need for this adjustment ?
Is it the adjustment for those use AF or AF asist only ?

Thank you in advance for your explaination.

Last edited:

yaya

It adjusts the AF sensor and display so if you use the display for focus confirmation with manual lenses then it is probably useful...

Rollei6008i

Can I say that if I focus thru the focus screen & ignore the focusing confirmation , I do not need to calibrate focusing offset ?? Of course, I miss some unique function. !!

Geoff

Yes, true, but calibrating and then using the focus confirmation is one of the treats of the camera, giving really good results with the older manual lenses.

Rollei6008i

Yes, true, but calibrating and then using the focus confirmation is one of the treats of the camera, giving really good results with the older manual lenses.
Quite good, I can calibrate my MF PQ/PQS when I have leisure while I still enjoy my photography by focusing via screen .

Rollei6008i

Hi GEOFF ,

I have read your PDF for AF offset setting method , I am happy to get this useful info & appreciate to your working, (why Rollei do not state the method in the manual ?) for those AFD lenses , will the setting automatically recorded in camera body?

Any other hidden functions in the Hy6 mod2 body ?

Geoff

A myriad of choices are buried within the Hy6, an Alladin's castle of options. There's focus offset, changing AF or metering zone sizes, focus trapping, and a bunch of ways to customize as needed. Eric Hiss (Rolleiflex.us) is the best source on this, as he really knows the gear well.

The difficulty with the camera is not the engineering, but rather the marketing, which never fully explained what the designers had put in the camera.

Rollei6008i

A myriad of choices are buried within the Hy6, an Alladin's castle of options. There's focus offset, changing AF or metering zone sizes, focus trapping, and a bunch of ways to customize as needed. Eric Hiss (Rolleiflex.us) is the best source on this, as he really knows the gear well.

The difficulty with the camera is not the engineering, but rather the marketing, which never fully explained what the designers had put in the camera.
Thank you very much. I got the answer from your suggested way.

You are right, Hy6 mod2 have many hidden functions but the instruction book do not mention the working methods.

Geoff

These functions are largely in all the Hy6 models; the mod2 simply improved a few issues.

EH21

Two of the other 'hidden' functions are focus bracketing and focus trap. Really cool features of the Hy6.

One other kind of neat thing you can do is also use your Hy6 as a distance meter (works only with AF lenses, I think). Just go to options menu and find the status window and it will tell you the distance the camera is focusing at.

Also there is the ultra fast shutter release….

Rollei6008i

Hello , Hy6 experts,

I have an question on adjustment of Hy6 mod2 focus offset , is it neceessary for MF lenses ? If I only focus by my eye sight , is it still need for this adjustment ?
Is it the adjustment for those use AF or AF asist only ?

Thank you in advance for your explaination.
Ok, let me explore them.

Rollei6008i

Two of the other 'hidden' functions are focus bracketing and focus trap. Really cool features of the Hy6.

One other kind of neat thing you can do is also use your Hy6 as a distance meter (works only with AF lenses, I think). Just go to options menu and find the status window and it will tell you the distance the camera is focusing at.

Also there is the ultra fast shutter release….
Hi EH21,

I am interested in what makes the design & produce the focus bracketing , when is the most suitable occasions to use this function ? In portrait photography ? macro photography ?

EH21

Hi EH21,

I am interested in what makes the design & produce the focus bracketing , when is the most suitable occasions to use this function ? In portrait photography ? macro photography ?
Hi,
First let me tell you focus bracketing works only with auto focus lenses. You would choose to use focus bracketing if you wanted to stack a series of images together for better DOF in landscape or macro shots, or you might just take a stack of images and decide which part of the image to keep in focus for emphasis later.

Here's a little bit from the Hy6 Manual on how it works:

BRACKETING F (Focus bracketing) There is a choice of 3, 5, 7 or 9 exposures per series. If you choose five bracketing exposures, for example, one will be made with the focus-ing determined by AF, plus two each in 1/1 and 2/1 focus steps in front of and behind the optimum focal point determined. The camera will adust the plane of focus automatically from exposure to exposure. To do this, the mirror is locked up, and the exposures are made with autofocus and shutter interacting. A tripod should be used.

Rollei6008i

Hi,
First let me tell you focus bracketing works only with auto focus lenses. You would choose to use focus bracketing if you wanted to stack a series of images together for better DOF in landscape or macro shots, or you might just take a stack of images and decide which part of the image to keep in focus for emphasis later.

Here's a little bit from the Hy6 Manual on how it works:

BRACKETING F (Focus bracketing) There is a choice of 3, 5, 7 or 9 exposures per series. If you choose five bracketing exposures, for example, one will be made with the focus-ing determined by AF, plus two each in 1/1 and 2/1 focus steps in front of and behind the optimum focal point determined. The camera will adust the plane of focus automatically from exposure to exposure. To do this, the mirror is locked up, and the exposures are made with autofocus and shutter interacting. A tripod should be used.
Hi EH21,

THe shutter release should set in 'C' mode or even 'S" can do that .
It sounds quite good as the focus point set in the center of the frame, when taking portrait, accurate focus on the eyes maybe easily obtain ??
For stacking macro photos, no need to purchase other focusing rails for the purpose ??
:thumbs::thumbs:

EH21

Hi EH21,

THe shutter release should set in 'C' mode or even 'S" can do that .
It sounds quite good as the focus point set in the center of the frame, when taking portrait, accurate focus on the eyes maybe easily obtain ??
For stacking macro photos, no need to purchase other focusing rails for the purpose ??
:thumbs::thumbs:
You have to enter the focus stacking through the custom mode. It only works with lenses with autofocus. Yes, you can use it for macro work. Sometimes when you are very close it, its better to move the subject or camera distance.