The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

IQ 140 Heat Issues

Jwoo

If the IQ back is kept in an awake state for a long period, will there be any effect from the heat generated from the sensor?
Will the IQ suffer or the sensor damaged?
The back will be tethered to computer continuously for up to 10 hours.

Any insight is much appreciated.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
If you intend just having the back powered up but essentially sleeping between exposures then I don't think that you'll experience any issues at all.

If you intend leaving it powered up in zero latency mode then things are a lot different. I dont know that the IQ back itself will suffer but I do know that unless you're taking some measures to cool the back that it'll get pretty warm. In fact I've witnessed an IQ180 back get literally too hot to handle when left on for an hour or so, albeit in the camera bag/car. That wasn't my back but the owner pretty nearly got my fingerprints indelibly burnt into the case!

Jwoo

Thanks Graham.
I am still with a P30+ but intend to trade up to IQ 140 so I don't really have a chance to try it to see how hot it will get.
If left on zero latency, will the image quality deteriorate?

Steve Hendrix

Thanks Graham.
I am still with a P30+ but intend to trade up to IQ 140 so I don't really have a chance to try it to see how hot it will get.
If left on zero latency, will the image quality deteriorate?

It depends. Primarily on the ambient temperature, your exposure duration, and the pace at which you shoot. If you are shooting in a temperature of 70 degrees and your exposures are "normal" (meaning 1/30th, 1/125th, etc) rather than "long", and you either shoot in bursts then rest, or shoot randomly, you probably won't see much difference if any from the first shot to the last.

But if the temperature is 84 degrees, and you're exposing for 5 seconds or 15 seconds, etc, and doing so pretty continuously, you'll definitely see image quality impacted.

Steve Hendrix
Capture Integration