The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

What lens to bring to Iceland for Hasselblad H4d 40?

powerziggy

I am going to Iceland for a week in August for a photography trip. I am planning to bring my Fuji XE1 and Hasselblad H4D 40. I do landscape photography. I have the following Hasselblad lens, which lens do you think I should bring? Any suggestion is very much appreciated.

35-90mm, 50mm II, 28mm, 100mm, 150mm

Thank you very much.

johnnygoesdigital

Many will comment, but for me based on the wide open expanse of Iceland the 100mm would cover more distant landscapes and still cover medium to wide range if only bringing one lens for travel. Enjoy your trip, stunning country!

MaxKißler

Doesn't this solely depend on what kind of subjects you want to photograph? If you don't know yet, take the zoom. If you can get really close i.e. you want to emphasize the foreground a lot, take the 28mm.

I personally would use the 50mm II as I like this FL and it suits a lot of subjects. Anyway, have a great trip.

powerziggy

I don't plan to shoot birds, or wild life. I intend to focus on landscape. I am hoping not to bring 35-90mm. Is bring 28mm, 50mm II, and 100mm suffice? Thank you very much.

Landscapelover

Senior Subscriber Member
I guess you will do mainly landscape.
I've never been to Iceland but just came back from the Big Island, HI with my family. The lenses I used the most with my H4D-40 were 28, 35-90 and 150mm (with/without 1.7 TC).
If I were you, I'd bring them all! They will certainly fit in a carry-on bag. It's an "Iceland for photography trip"!!
I've never had only "a photography trip" in my life, always with my family.
Best regards,
Pramote

johnnygoesdigital

The 28mm is a fantastic lens, but in many circumstances, too wide for certain expansive landscapes. The 28mm will also vignette with filters. I was under the impression you needed only one, but if that's not an issue, bring them all, better to have and not need then need and not have.

Landscapelover

Senior Subscriber Member
The 28mm is a fantastic lens, but in many circumstances, too wide for certain expansive landscapes. The 28mm will also vignette with filters. I was under the impression you needed only one, but if that's not an issue, bring them all, better to have and not need then need and not have.
This is a fun part of photography. Different POV :)
Landscape is all I've been doing! Eighty percent of my Hasselblad 's works have been captured with 2 lenses 28mm and 35-90mm. Without rotating the Lee filter holder, the 95mm adapter ring is OK. The "Push on" Lee filter holder is fantastic too. If you need only graduated neutral density, just bracket 3 pictures (without any filter) and spend few minutes in photoshop.
It doesn't make sense to go to Iceland for photography trip with one lens. Otherwise the trip would not be called "photography trip". Or it's better to bring Nikon with 28-300mm.

Regards,
Pramote

Jeffg53

I've just got back from two weeks in Iceland. I only took the 35-90 and a 120. Last time I was there two years ago I had the 35-90, 100, 150 and 210. Going over my images from 2011, over 90% were with the 35-90. My style is to shoot long rather than wide so the 35-90 may not work for you.

You need to check what your carry on allowance is. I only had 7KG this time. Those lenses add up very quickly. Additionally, you will probably need to do a bit of hiking. I'm not good at that lugging a load of gear.

Whatever you take, it is the most fascinating place that I have ever been!

If you are an FB user, here are a few shots with the H4D and an OM D: https://www.facebook.com/jeff.grant.7731/photos

Last edited:

powerziggy

I am sorry I gave the impression that I am only going to bring one lens for the trip. I just wonder what combination of lenses I should bring. Currently, I have decided on either of those 2 choices:

1. 28mm, 35-90mm, 150mm
2. 28mm, 50mm, 100mm, 150mm

Any thoughts on those two combinations. I am hesitant with the 35-90mm only because of its size for an international trip, although I do use frequently at home. Icelandic air is quite generous with its hand carry luggage. Two hand carry luggage with 22 lbs weight each.

Landscapelover

Senior Subscriber Member
To me, lenses are liked my kids. I've known them well, for example, what f-stop to use to get the maximal DOF w/o significant diffraction.
I think you will not go wrong with either #1 or #2. You know your comfort zone. I don't think you will get much different quality between the 50/100mm and 35-90mm. Zoom can be very helpful especially sunrise/sunset when time is critical. The HCD 35-90mm is the best zoom in this range for me. When it's on the tripod, it's not that heavy :)
I've found the 1.7 TC is also very useful and it's very light. Sometimes 1% of your photos may turn out to be a winner and you will regret you haven't been well prepare! At least I know Graham has the same philosophy from his reputation :) Graham, if you read this comment, I'd like to let you know you are one of the greatest guys at GetDPI!
I hope you have a wonderful trip and am looking forward to seeing your pictures.
Best,
Pramote

Jeffg53

Another reason for the zoom is wind. Iceland is a windy place so minimised lense changes make sense. Phocus is great for bulk dust removal if you need it.

powerziggy

Yes. Thank you for reminding me about the lens change issue. I did read somewhere about Iceland being very dusty because of the wind outside of the capital city. It's probably wise for me to take the 35-90mm zoom since it covers a wide focal range.

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

It's been a few years since I was in Iceland. I'd take all your lenses, though if I were limited I'd take my 55 LS (I use Phase gear.)

Enjoy!
Bill

Jeffg53

My recollection is that the 35-90 is considered the equal or better of the primes that it covers - 35, 50, and 80.