The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

eBay S2 listings are too good to be true

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
Like most MF systems the Leica S2 has not been immune to significant depreciation . While the new model "S 006" has some very nice improvements ..it is an evolution of the S2 sporting the same sensor . As usual the resale value of the S2 bodies has dropped to below 50% of original cost and many are selling right at around $10K from established dealers .

So I have been watching the used market to see if I can pick up a 2nd body at a "steal " (almost always a bad strategy ).

I found a nice s2P that was promised with warranty and was in open bidding . Plenty of warning signs ...you have read them before . So I sent a email to the seller that sold baseball equipment as it looked like he had been hacked . (thru eBay) .

Got back a nice message saying no ..he had the S2 and the sale was legitimate . So I sent a second message asking about the warranty and if he had proof of sale to support it . Never before have I received a reply on anything that looked like a hacked account .

eBay sent me a message that indicated in fact the account had been hacked and outlined a procedure had I dealt with the seller outside of ebay .

Today another hacked account posted an S2 for sale .

Beyond the normal things to check a quick test is to look for the pictures on the completed listings . You will see the same S2 sold a few times and listed again .:facesmack:

monza

Every day on eBay. :(

Use google image search with the posted images. I found one listing that had been advertised on LUF last summer using the same photos.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I have a really hard time spending over what I would accept as a loss on eBay. For me I won't go over 2k on the risk/reward. Unless its like Adorama or a known company with a eBay presence. Even than I may call them first to verify. My opinion and its my opinion not of this forums is I won't buy anything outside a mail order house, dealer or friend that I'm not afraid to take a major loss. That's my comfort zone. I've been very lucky along this path, maybe a few quality issues but never a loss. Fingers crossed.

I usually buy used from members, KEH, Camera West, Capture integration and well known dealers. Ill buy used from B&H as well after that I'm very careful who I buy from on eBay. Things marked too low raise red flags and most times for a few bucks more I can buy something that I know will be a safer purchase.

That's me though and others have different comfort zones. I will not buy any MF back or S2 from eBay though that I can tell you right off the bat too much money at risk.

monza

There are some legit bargains to be had, so I don't eliminate eBay as a source out of hand, as the fraudulent ones are pretty easy to spot. There is also buyer protection. I've only had to use that one time with a fraudulent listing, a couple of years ago for $6k. It was pretty painless.

mmbma

I had been lucky dealing on ebay. got my S2 that way but not as those crazy prices of course. More inline with the 10k for the body