Site Sponsors
Results 1 to 33 of 33

Thread: Problems tethering H4? - Contact me

  1. #1
    New Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    9
    Post Thanks / Like

    Problems tethering H4? - Contact me

    Hello all,

    I have owned or tested 4 Hasselblad H4's over the past two years and currently own two H4D's which I use professionally. I wont bore you all with the entire story here however, I have had countless problems getting this camera to work correctly tethered to the point that it does not work in a professional setting as a tethered camera. I have tried absolutely everything, changed cables, computers etc. etc and have been given a phenomenal amount of "run around" by Hasselblad. In the end, I have figured out the problem and Hasselblad's solution was to come up with the H5 and change the configuration while pretending I'm the only person who has had trouble with the H4.

    If you own or owned an H4 and use it tethered or have had a problem using it tethered, I'd like to hear from you and find out what your experience has been or if you found a solution. Please message me if you have any experience or thoughts on Hasselblad H4's and any issues related to tethering.

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Senior Member stngoldberg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    newport, RI
    Posts
    805
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    12

    Re: Problems tethering H4? - Contact me

    Quote Originally Posted by oneword View Post
    Hello all,

    I have owned or tested 4 Hasselblad H4's over the past two years and currently own two H4D's which I use professionally. I wont bore you all with the entire story here however, I have had countless problems getting this camera to work correctly tethered to the point that it does not work in a professional setting as a tethered camera. I have tried absolutely everything, changed cables, computers etc. etc and have been given a phenomenal amount of "run around" by Hasselblad. In the end, I have figured out the problem and Hasselblad's solution was to come up with the H5 and change the configuration while pretending I'm the only person who has had trouble with the H4.

    If you own or owned an H4 and use it tethered or have had a problem using it tethered, I'd like to hear from you and find out what your experience has been or if you found a solution. Please message me if you have any experience or thoughts on Hasselblad H4's and any issues related to tethering.

    Thanks
    I tethered my H4D50 to Phocus for a difficult photo shoot last week. I had the camera on a Kessler Crane overhanging a bannister of a second floor balcony.
    I could not reach the camera to change aperture, speed or ISO; so I operated the camera completely from Phocus including shutter release from the computer which provided me with essentially "live view."
    The system worked without incident for over 90 minutes while I shot 75 images.
    When I have a situation like the one you have described, I visit my dealer and he always finds a solution for me.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    313
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Problems tethering H4? - Contact me

    Hi Dan
    I see you have cross-posted this in at least two other forums

    I'm sorry you have had a bad experience and my offer to help stands. If you are looking for data that suggests the H4D40 is fundamentally unstable I think you'll be disappointed as this is not the case.

    Nick-T

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    35
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Problems tethering H4? - Contact me

    Hi,
    I've been using an H40D tethered for about a year now to photograph artwork. I have to say that Has been very stable. The software has crashed two or three times but I was able to restart Phocus and it was fine after that. I would try reinstalling Phocus if you haven't already tried this.
    Mike

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    35
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Problems tethering H4? - Contact me

    By the way, to Nick T, thanks for the link to hasselblad digital forum I did'nt even know it existed. I'll certainly be joining.
    Mike

  6. #6
    New Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    9
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Problems tethering H4? - Contact me

    Hi Nick,

    Glad to hear yours has worked well for you. Unfortunately, not so for me, I own two H4's now and have had one H3 and an H4 loaner. All have had ongoing, repeatable issues with file corruption and loss of communication with both Phocus and Lightroom. I have tried multiple computers, all iterations of firmware and no less than 10 Firewire cables as well as signal boosters. Hasselblad claims they were unable to duplicate the problem but, when the last camera came back to the retailer, we were almost immediately able to create the fault again. I have spoken with at least twenty photographers who have had ongoing tethering issues and I have spoken to a few like yourself who have had no issues.

  7. #7
    Member Jay Emm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    93
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    8

    Re: Problems tethering H4? - Contact me

    Another user with H4D-40 tether problems. I did 75 shots yesterday that saw Phocus crash twice, plus two corrupted file transfers. That was quite good as usually I have the camera completely lock up at some stage (requiring removal of the Firewire cable and the battery in order to re-boot everything). I have been through two laptops and countless FW cables. Firmware is up to date. Of course my re-booting fix doesn't take long, but it breaks the flow of the shoot.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    313
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Problems tethering H4? - Contact me

    It would be useful to find a common denominator here..

    Always with laptops?

    Shooting fast?

    Plenty of free HD space?

    Nick-T

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    313
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Problems tethering H4? - Contact me

    BTW back in the beginning Phocus was very unstable as I was often shooting with alphas and betas so I developed a few workflows that helped mitigate crashes:

    Set Phocus as a log in item (along with Photoshop etc..) this means after a bad crash you can re-boot and walk away knowing all the apps you need will re-launch.

    Get in the habit of setting up Phocus for that day's shoot ( setup, destination folder etc..) then quit Phocus, this will save your prefs so if you have to force quit, the software will relaunch pointing at the correct folder.

    Finally treat the camera as a computer too. If you have a crash, disconnect and restart the camera and check it works untethered (always have a CF card in the Camera eve when tethered). Then quit and restart the software, *then* reconnect.
    Nick-T

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    84
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Problems tethering H4? - Contact me

    My H3DII-31 had all sorts of tethering issues. Like you I tried all kinds of cables, and so many various and logical workarounds, but it was intermittent. Some days, I was crippled tethering and others it would just work without issue. After many exchanges with Hasselblad, they determined it may be the link board. I can imagine you may have heard that already, but if not, it may be worth exploring as a potential source of the problem.

  11. #11
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Royal Oak, MI and Palm Harbor, FL
    Posts
    8,498
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    44

    Re: Problems tethering H4? - Contact me

    I no longer have a H camera system, but not because of any issues. I retired from most commercial photography.

    Shot tethered to a Mac Tower in studio for hours on end, and used a 15" Mac laptop on location. Nine different Hs from a H2D/22 all the way through a H4D/40 and 60.

    Some instability with Phocus at the very beginning, but that stabilized fairly fast. I did experience a few issues afterward but solved them.

    I have two other commercial photography friends that shoot the H tethered ... one photographer has up to 7 of them running production jobs. No issues.

    My dealer warned me that the H system is very power sensitive, and I took him at his word. When shooting tethered, the back is powered by the computer and the camera by the grip battery. When I had an issue it was with a FW800 to the Laptop ... so I changed to a FW800 to FW400 tether cord. Seems the FW800 port on some laptops is flakey at the levels of draw the back requires. Even though it'll run other devices the heavy demand these backs produce can apparently cause intermittent issues. Changed to FW800/400 for my Mac Pro tower as that sometimes acted flakey. There was no noticeable difference in transfer speed using the FW800/400 (which came with the camera). I also changed over to using the AC grip for power on long shoots.

    Not sure this helps or hinders ... just my own expereinces.

    - Marc

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    461
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Problems tethering H4? - Contact me

    I demo'd a couple H4D-40s about 2 years ago and had all kinds of issues trying to get the to tether and be stable. Just couldnt get it to work for more than 10 minutes before it shut down or disconnected. Had the dealer and Hassy try to problem solve and it never worked right. Ended up buying a phase back with an H body and that works great.

  13. #13
    Senior Member Bildifokus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Sweden, Spain
    Posts
    390
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Problems tethering H4? - Contact me

    I use H4D-50 and Phocus on a Macbook Pro and wireless to my iPad (Phocus App) and it works absolutely marvelous. At first there was some problems, but I did a safestart and used the disc tools on my Mac. After that it worked as it should.

  14. #14
    New Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    9
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Problems tethering H4? - Contact me

    I wont bore you with all the details but I have owned an H3D39, an H431 and an H440 and none have worked well tethered. I have also had demo units in H440 and H460 which worked equally poorly. Either the camera or the software locks up and it stops transferring files or corrupts those files it does transfer

    All my cameras have been back to Hasselblad for "testing and repairs" and all have been returned without any improvement

    I've tried dozens of Firewire cables and multiple MacBook Pro computers as well as having had one custom built especially for tethering on location.

    I've always maintained the most current version of all firmware and software.

    When I completely gave up on Phocus, I asked Hasselblad if there was any way I could tether to Lightroom and they said it was not possible. A digital tech on a shoot in LA later told me about the plug in Hasselblad had on their website for this exact purpose. I found it and discovered it had been available for at least 6 months prior to when the Hasselblad rep told me there was no such thing.

    Using Lightroom has made the system "barely usable and frustrating" whereas with Phocus is was "completely unusable"

    Hasselblad eventually told me to stop contacting them and to deal with the original retailer who is a really great guy and has since appealed to Hasselblad multiple times on this matter, loaned me cameras for testing etc etc. however, has been completely brushed off by Hasselblad (not a small dealer either, probably one of the biggest in fact)

    Multiple emails to the President of Hasselblad USA have gone un replied to (message me, I'll happily share his email address).

    The new H5 now has the ability to power the back from the camera or the firewire cable which indicates to me that they are fully aware of the problem and are hoping it will just go away without them having to make good on the previous models shortcomings.

    They have offered to take both my cameras back at wholesale used prices against a new H5 however, their offer will mean I eat about $12,000 for cameras that never worked properly so, I've refused. They have said it's a "take it or leave it offer" and they have no further interest in discussing it or coming to any agreeable solution.

    I've already spoken to a lawyer and am meeting him again in the next few weeks to discuss the matter, but, if anyone else can think of anything or wants to share their experiences, I'd love to hear from you.

  15. #15
    New Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    2
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Problems tethering H4? - Contact me

    Quote Originally Posted by oneword View Post
    I've already spoken to a lawyer and am meeting him again in the next few weeks to discuss the matter, but, if anyone else can think of anything or wants to share their experiences, I'd love to hear from you.
    Had similar issue years earlier, dealer actually gave up because Hasselblad didn't fix the issues. I'm keeping my name private, sorry. There are some other recent posts saying similar to you too, legal action.

    You all should know there is almost no one left at Hasselblad, meaning, most have been laid off, in Denmark, Sweden, UK and NJ. All gone. The H5 is likely the end of the line. All focus is on Lunar and nothing more.

    P1 has picked up a lot of H employees too.

    Good luck and sorry for your issues, I hope you can get something back.

  16. #16
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Royal Oak, MI and Palm Harbor, FL
    Posts
    8,498
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    44

    Re: Problems tethering H4? - Contact me

    Quote Originally Posted by itsnotme View Post
    Had similar issue years earlier, dealer actually gave up because Hasselblad didn't fix the issues. I'm keeping my name private, sorry. There are some other recent posts saying similar to you too, legal action.

    You all should know there is almost no one left at Hasselblad, meaning, most have been laid off, in Denmark, Sweden, UK and NJ. All gone. The H5 is likely the end of the line. All focus is on Lunar and nothing more.

    P1 has picked up a lot of H employees too.

    Good luck and sorry for your issues, I hope you can get something back.
    Dear anonymous ...

    Where are those "other posts" about legal action, etc.? Links please.

    How do you specifically know there is almost no one left at Hasselblad ... as in the hyperbolic ... "all gone"?

    How do you know that "all focus is on the Lunar?" Do you have secret inside info on Hasselblad's R&D projects?

    Hasselblad has improved its' lenses (150N, 120-II, 50-II, all new 24), offered a new optical close-up attachment for the new 50/3.5-II lens, brought out the H5 ... all in the past two or so years ... most in the past year.

    The OP repeated his post twice as if no one can read or something. While I commiserate with the situation, I haven't had it happen at all after nine different H cameras ... so it is perplexing as to what is actually happening.

    BTW, as mentioned, I no longer have a Hasselblad ... nor a Leaf or Phase One kit. So I'm not protecting anything.

    - Marc

  17. #17
    New Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    2
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Problems tethering H4? - Contact me

    Quote Originally Posted by fotografz View Post
    Dear anonymous ...

    Where are those "other posts" about legal action, etc.? Links please.

    How do you specifically know there is almost no one left at Hasselblad ... as in the hyperbolic ... "all gone"?

    How do you know that "all focus is on the Lunar?" Do you have secret inside info on Hasselblad's R&D projects?
    - Marc
    Legal action:
    http://www.getdpi.com/forum/medium-f...oing-saga.html

    I also quote the following insightful words:

    Hasselblad management has robbed Peter to pay Paul ... sadly, in this case, "Peter" is the H system which received very little attention for the H5 launch and the general Hasselblad community has not taken it very well. Few want to upgrade their H4Ds to H5Ds, because virtually nothing was done to the digital backs over the H4D. This in the face of Phase One accelerating their digital backs at every opportunity. Keep in mind that you cannot just buy a H5 camera and use your existing back on it. This means you are paying a huge amount of money for just a H5 camera body upgrade with virtually the same back you already own. Illogical reasoning at best.

    Hasselblad thinks we are gullible, or fools ... they are sorely mistaken.

    We do have a choice ... and we are voting with our checkbook. After 40+ years with Hasselblad, I canceled my order for a H5D, sold my H4D/60 kit, and Leica now has my loyalty and money. I no longer have any faith in a company that once was a shining brand name, producing products with real substance for the price paid. The Lunar has little substance for the price paid, and drives a stake into the heart of the Brand's heritage.

    What baffles me about Hasselblad is that they abandoned all the proprietary technologies they had invented for the H system ... which arguably makes the H camera the best available if one understands and uses those technologies. True Focus APL, True Color, Programed Mirror Delay, micro AF adjust to correct any focus shift for each lens, the T/S 1.5 unit ... all work to solve real world creative and technical problems.

    It doesn't require a massive amount of imagination to conjure up a more compact, 35mm type form factor, self enclosed camera that leverages those technologies they already invented and paid for. Which would have lead to more sales of H lenses and accessories they already have. Heritage kept intact.


    All of the above quoted from this link: Future cameras in the Hasselblad Lunar family - Photo.net Medium Format Forum

  18. #18
    Senior Member KeithL's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    832
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Problems tethering H4? - Contact me

    Quote Originally Posted by itsnotme View Post
    You all should know there is almost no one left at Hasselblad, meaning, most have been laid off, in Denmark, Sweden, UK and NJ. All gone. The H5 is likely the end of the line. All focus is on Lunar and nothing more.
    If you're going to make statements such as that then at least have the balls to do so using your own name.

  19. #19
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Royal Oak, MI and Palm Harbor, FL
    Posts
    8,498
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    44

    Re: Problems tethering H4? - Contact me

    Quote Originally Posted by itsnotme View Post
    Legal action:
    http://www.getdpi.com/forum/medium-f...oing-saga.html

    I also quote the following insightful words:

    Hasselblad management has robbed Peter to pay Paul ... sadly, in this case, "Peter" is the H system which received very little attention for the H5 launch and the general Hasselblad community has not taken it very well. Few want to upgrade their H4Ds to H5Ds, because virtually nothing was done to the digital backs over the H4D. This in the face of Phase One accelerating their digital backs at every opportunity. Keep in mind that you cannot just buy a H5 camera and use your existing back on it. This means you are paying a huge amount of money for just a H5 camera body upgrade with virtually the same back you already own. Illogical reasoning at best.

    Hasselblad thinks we are gullible, or fools ... they are sorely mistaken.

    We do have a choice ... and we are voting with our checkbook. After 40+ years with Hasselblad, I canceled my order for a H5D, sold my H4D/60 kit, and Leica now has my loyalty and money. I no longer have any faith in a company that once was a shining brand name, producing products with real substance for the price paid. The Lunar has little substance for the price paid, and drives a stake into the heart of the Brand's heritage.

    What baffles me about Hasselblad is that they abandoned all the proprietary technologies they had invented for the H system ... which arguably makes the H camera the best available if one understands and uses those technologies. True Focus APL, True Color, Programed Mirror Delay, micro AF adjust to correct any focus shift for each lens, the T/S 1.5 unit ... all work to solve real world creative and technical problems.

    It doesn't require a massive amount of imagination to conjure up a more compact, 35mm type form factor, self enclosed camera that leverages those technologies they already invented and paid for. Which would have lead to more sales of H lenses and accessories they already have. Heritage kept intact.


    All of the above quoted from this link: Future cameras in the Hasselblad Lunar family - Photo.net Medium Format Forum
    My opinion is just that ... an opinion. You are stating specifics such as "no employees", etc. as if they are facts. So, I wondered what the source of those facts were? If your quoted response above is any indication, it turns out that most of your facts are supported by ... my opinion.

    That there are those with issues I have no doubt. There are issues with every camera in some way or another.

    BTW, I also didn't hide behind anonymity ... I attached my name to my opinion.

    - Marc

  20. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    313
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Problems tethering H4? - Contact me

    Quote Originally Posted by itsnotme View Post
    You all should know there is almost no one left at Hasselblad, meaning, most have been laid off, in Denmark, Sweden, UK and NJ. All gone.
    This is not true.

    The H5 is likely the end of the line. All focus is on Lunar and nothing more.
    This is not true.

    Be nice if people stopped making stuff up...

  21. #21
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Royal Oak, MI and Palm Harbor, FL
    Posts
    8,498
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    44

    Re: Problems tethering H4? - Contact me

    Back to the original post and a few questions for the OP based on the first post ... in an effort to assist rather than making stuff up to bash Hasselbald:

    Quote Originally Posted by oneword View Post
    Hello all,

    I have owned or tested 4 Hasselblad H4's over the past two years and currently own two H4D's which I use professionally. I wont bore you all with the entire story here however, I have had countless problems getting this camera to work correctly tethered to the point that it does not work in a professional setting as a tethered camera. I have tried absolutely everything, changed cables, computers etc. etc and have been given a phenomenal amount of "run around" by Hasselblad. In the end, I have figured out the problem and Hasselblad's solution was to come up with the H5 and change the configuration while pretending I'm the only person who has had trouble with the H4.

    If you own or owned an H4 and use it tethered or have had a problem using it tethered, I'd like to hear from you and find out what your experience has been or if you found a solution. Please message me if you have any experience or thoughts on Hasselblad H4's and any issues related to tethering.

    Thanks
    If you have "figured out the problem" ... what was it?

    Since no-one has been through each step along the way looking for a solution in this specific case, and Nick's offer to assist in finding a solution apparently hasn't been met with acceptance, all anyone can do is offer speculative solutions or ask specific questions. One can use multiple cameras, different computers, swap out tether cords, etc, ... however, if the same mistake is made with each attempt, then the result is likely to be the same.

    I say this because it is highly unlikely that multiple H4 cameras, using different computers, are all defective or have an inherent design flaw when others have indicated no issues with the same H4 model ... I had a H4D/40 and then a H4D/60, and my former partner has a H4D/50 ... and the tethered operation was quite stable allowing continuous use all day.

    One poster here offered the suggestion to run the Disk Utility application and clean up Permissions (or the PC equivalent). That is the first suggestion my dealer makes when there are issues. Run it multiple times. In past, I recall some trashing their preferences altogether, but you need to know the specific ones to trash. Nick probably knows which. My dealer did it for me when we first set up the camera. There has been no response from the OP on this suggestion.

    In setting up the tethered operation, was a folder created on the desktop to shoot to?

    I also mentioned that since the back is not powered by a separate battery (the grip battery powers the camera and the back), and the backs are very power sensitive, (more so than other FW800 devices), some computers (such as some laptops) may not have the juice through the FW port to run tethered consistently. Aux power may be required. My laptop is an older Mac Pro 15" with 8 gigs of RAM ...but when using it in the field for longer shoots, I plug it into either a Profoto BatPac, or now a much smaller, less expensive PCB Lithium inverter. I also went to using an AC powered grip to maintain a very consistent level of power in studio. No discussion or clarification on this from the OP.

    The above may be why those who use a H2 or H4X camera and Phase back have no issues, Phase backs have a separate power source for the back.

    In terms of power management, Hasselblad has increased the juice in the grip battery for the H5D to accommodate new more demanding functions, but according to my rep and Hasselblad NJ, it can be used on the H4D cameras ... it may also be of some help when using a laptop with poor FW power management (???). The new configuration on the H5 backs now accepts a separate battery and that battery will be usable on the H4D/60. My assumption was this was done so the backs could be used on an untethered tech camera. Of course that is of no help to those with a H4D/40 or 50, but the new grip battery may ... however, I'm not sure if it will if all of the power for the back is switched over to the computer source when tethered to a laptop with inconsistent FW power management.

    I also assume that all components of the camera and software were configured consistently. There is firmware for the body/finder, lenses, and digital magazine which have to be in concert with the correct version of Phocus. All are available on the Hasselblad website and are user doable.

    The camera's FW port itself can be an issue if not seated correctly, or if too much downward torque is applied when in use. I installed a simple Tether Tools device that removes any possibility of such torque or accidental yanking of the cord during shooting.

    The tether cord cannot exceed a certain length as power diminishes with any longer cord for almost anything. For example, when you add extensions to a strobe cord, the effective W/s is cut. IMO, an even shorter FW cord is sometimes required when working with certain Laptops.

    So, this is more in the spirit of possible solutions rather than bashing Hasselblad or seeking fodder for a lawsuit ... which of course remains the OP's option.

    - Marc
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

  22. #22
    Senior Member Bildifokus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Sweden, Spain
    Posts
    390
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Problems tethering H4? - Contact me

    To run the Disk Utility application and clean up Permissions usually solve the problem when my MB Pro is acting strange. I also do a safestart and then restart the computer.

  23. #23
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    201
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Problems tethering H4? - Contact me

    I know it's not the H4D, but I've shot my H3DII39s tethered without issue on my Windows 7 PC (you didn't indicate PC or Mac). I do have a laptop with a small FW port which won't work tethered unless I attach it to a powered FW hub and then it will work, and I can even update the firmware that way. If you have been trying with a laptop with a FW port, that could be the issue.

    If you have not already, as already suggested, try hasselbladdigitalforum.com - Index as there might be a lot more people who can help you as it's a dedicated forum just for H digital camera users.

    Hasselblad has always taken care of issues; if you are in the US, contact Paul in the NJ office.

    Kind regards,
    Derek

  24. #24
    New Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    9
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Problems tethering H4? - Contact me

    Thanks, I appreciate you taking the time to suggest something but, I have already tried absolutely every thing possible. Some cameras work and some don't. Hasselblad technical support asked me to do that (and I did about 1000) times in the early days of this problem but, it does not fix it in my case

    Cheers

    Quote Originally Posted by Bildifokus View Post
    To run the Disk Utility application and clean up Permissions usually solve the problem when my MB Pro is acting strange. I also do a safestart and then restart the computer.

  25. #25
    New Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    9
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Problems tethering H4? - Contact me

    Thanks for the reply

    I have tried the powered and they are an improvement but not a fix in my case.

    I am using Macs

    I suspect the problem is that the back is being powered from the FW and some backs use more power than others so, some cameras work and some do not which is why they made it possible to power the back in the H5 from the camera itself

    I believe Paul is no longer there but, I dealt with him early on and he gave up . Hasselblad also asked me to deal with the distributor and not their people directly.

    As for them doing something, they have already told me to "stick it" they have offered to allow me to trade them against an H5 but only if I pay full MSRP for the H5 and they will give me less than I can sell them used even though I have never had a working camera from them. Essentially, I'd like to return them but, that window closed long ago while they jerked me around for 2 years pretending to find a fix to a problem I think they know exists.

    Pretty bad customer service to a guy who's owned multiple Hassys, makes their living with them and helps tons of others make buying decisions on cameras. I cant tell you how many peers have told me they wont buy Hassy any more and most have switched to Phase. I've spoken to multiple DT's who say Hassy and Phocus are hopeless and am on a shoot this week where the Art Director actually asked me in the pre pro not to shoot Hasselblad because we dont have time to deal with all the tethering issues. I rented a Phase



    Quote Originally Posted by jecxz View Post
    I know it's not the H4D, but I've shot my H3DII39s tethered without issue on my Windows 7 PC (you didn't indicate PC or Mac). I do have a laptop with a small FW port which won't work tethered unless I attach it to a powered FW hub and then it will work, and I can even update the firmware that way. If you have been trying with a laptop with a FW port, that could be the issue.

    If you have not already, as already suggested, try hasselbladdigitalforum.com - Index as there might be a lot more people who can help you as it's a dedicated forum just for H digital camera users.

    Hasselblad has always taken care of issues; if you are in the US, contact Paul in the NJ office.

    Kind regards,
    Derek

  26. #26
    New Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    9
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Problems tethering H4? - Contact me

    Thanks Marc,

    I appreciate you taking the time to detail suggestions however, I have tried them all as has the dealer and their technical people. I have also worked with digital techs in LA and Toronto on shoots who have more experience likely than Hassys own people and none can make the camera work in a consistent and stable way.

    Everything in your list of suggestions has been tried.

    As detailed in my other replies, I believe that some backs draw more power or draw inconsistently (due to manufacturing tolerances or some other variable) which is why some work well consistently and some do not.

    At this point, I'm not left with many choices, I have $50 K plus in Hasselblad gear and two years waiting for them to start working reliably tethered. My assistants are pretty used to the phrase "switch to Canon" while on a shoot because the starting, restarting and pulling and replacing of batteries has slowed down the shoot so much that the client/model/art director are all getting impatient. Call Hasselblad bashing or seeking fodder for a lawsuit but, at this point, I'm left hanging with gear that does not work as promised and I was originally trying to find out how many others are out there in the same boat (which turns out to be a pretty substantial number).

    Quote Originally Posted by fotografz View Post
    Back to the original post and a few questions for the OP based on the first post ... in an effort to assist rather than making stuff up to bash Hasselbald:



    If you have "figured out the problem" ... what was it?

    Since no-one has been through each step along the way looking for a solution in this specific case, and Nick's offer to assist in finding a solution apparently hasn't been met with acceptance, all anyone can do is offer speculative solutions or ask specific questions. One can use multiple cameras, different computers, swap out tether cords, etc, ... however, if the same mistake is made with each attempt, then the result is likely to be the same.

    I say this because it is highly unlikely that multiple H4 cameras, using different computers, are all defective or have an inherent design flaw when others have indicated no issues with the same H4 model ... I had a H4D/40 and then a H4D/60, and my former partner has a H4D/50 ... and the tethered operation was quite stable allowing continuous use all day.

    One poster here offered the suggestion to run the Disk Utility application and clean up Permissions (or the PC equivalent). That is the first suggestion my dealer makes when there are issues. Run it multiple times. In past, I recall some trashing their preferences altogether, but you need to know the specific ones to trash. Nick probably knows which. My dealer did it for me when we first set up the camera. There has been no response from the OP on this suggestion.

    In setting up the tethered operation, was a folder created on the desktop to shoot to?

    I also mentioned that since the back is not powered by a separate battery (the grip battery powers the camera and the back), and the backs are very power sensitive, (more so than other FW800 devices), some computers (such as some laptops) may not have the juice through the FW port to run tethered consistently. Aux power may be required. My laptop is an older Mac Pro 15" with 8 gigs of RAM ...but when using it in the field for longer shoots, I plug it into either a Profoto BatPac, or now a much smaller, less expensive PCB Lithium inverter. I also went to using an AC powered grip to maintain a very consistent level of power in studio. No discussion or clarification on this from the OP.

    The above may be why those who use a H2 or H4X camera and Phase back have no issues, Phase backs have a separate power source for the back.

    In terms of power management, Hasselblad has increased the juice in the grip battery for the H5D to accommodate new more demanding functions, but according to my rep and Hasselblad NJ, it can be used on the H4D cameras ... it may also be of some help when using a laptop with poor FW power management (???). The new configuration on the H5 backs now accepts a separate battery and that battery will be usable on the H4D/60. My assumption was this was done so the backs could be used on an untethered tech camera. Of course that is of no help to those with a H4D/40 or 50, but the new grip battery may ... however, I'm not sure if it will if all of the power for the back is switched over to the computer source when tethered to a laptop with inconsistent FW power management.

    I also assume that all components of the camera and software were configured consistently. There is firmware for the body/finder, lenses, and digital magazine which have to be in concert with the correct version of Phocus. All are available on the Hasselblad website and are user doable.

    The camera's FW port itself can be an issue if not seated correctly, or if too much downward torque is applied when in use. I installed a simple Tether Tools device that removes any possibility of such torque or accidental yanking of the cord during shooting.

    The tether cord cannot exceed a certain length as power diminishes with any longer cord for almost anything. For example, when you add extensions to a strobe cord, the effective W/s is cut. IMO, an even shorter FW cord is sometimes required when working with certain Laptops.

    So, this is more in the spirit of possible solutions rather than bashing Hasselblad or seeking fodder for a lawsuit ... which of course remains the OP's option.

    - Marc

  27. #27
    Workshop Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    3,275
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    7

    Re: Problems tethering H4? - Contact me

    Quote Originally Posted by oneword View Post
    At this point, I'm not left with many choices, I have $50 K plus in Hasselblad gear and two years waiting for them to start working reliably tethered. My assistants are pretty used to the phrase "switch to Canon" while on a shoot because the starting, restarting and pulling and replacing of batteries has slowed down the shoot so much that the client/model/art director are all getting impatient. Call Hasselblad bashing or seeking fodder for a lawsuit but, at this point, I'm left hanging with gear that does not work as promised and I was originally trying to find out how many others are out there in the same boat (which turns out to be a pretty substantial number).
    There are alternatives to Hasselblad without switching to 35mm, which includes strong trade-in value for your current digital back, and with which you could continue to use your HC lenses...
    Doug Peterson , Digital Transitions | Email
    Dealer for: Phase One, Mamiya Leaf, Arca-Swiss, Cambo, Eizo, Profoto
    Office: 877.367.8537. Cell: 740.707.2183

  28. #28
    New Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    9
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Problems tethering H4? - Contact me

    Thanks Doug,

    What do you mean strong trade in value? who is offering this? More details would be great as I'm exploring all options

    Thanks

    Quote Originally Posted by dougpeterson View Post
    There are alternatives to Hasselblad without switching to 35mm, which includes strong trade-in value for your current digital back, and with which you could continue to use your HC lenses...

  29. #29
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    201
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Problems tethering H4? - Contact me

    Quote Originally Posted by oneword View Post
    I believe Paul is no longer there but, I dealt with him early on and he gave up . Hasselblad also asked me to deal with the distributor and not their people directly.
    That's not been my experience with Paul and he is still there. I have worked with him since 2005 and know him to never give up or send you back to the retailer. What state are you in and who is the retailer/distributor? Have your issues only been on Mac laptops or desktop too?

    Kind regards,
    Derek
    Last edited by jecxz; 22nd July 2013 at 10:13. Reason: Spelling error

  30. #30
    Senior Member stngoldberg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    newport, RI
    Posts
    805
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    12

    Re: Problems tethering H4? - Contact me

    There is something amiss with this complaint, if he claims Paul is no longer there or gave up.
    I spoke to Paul last week and have been communicating with him occasionally for over six years.
    Paul never gives up-he has always found a solution to every problem that either I or my dealer has ever presented. Paul is an outstanding and venerable fixture at Hasselblad.
    Stanley

  31. #31
    Workshop Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    3,275
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    7

    Re: Problems tethering H4? - Contact me

    Quote Originally Posted by oneword View Post
    Thanks Doug,

    What do you mean strong trade in value? who is offering this? More details would be great as I'm exploring all options
    I think it would be poor form to post competitive pricing in a thread of this nature. Shoot me an email ([email protected]) and I'll make sure you get a straightforward quote.
    Doug Peterson , Digital Transitions | Email
    Dealer for: Phase One, Mamiya Leaf, Arca-Swiss, Cambo, Eizo, Profoto
    Office: 877.367.8537. Cell: 740.707.2183

  32. #32
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    191
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Problems tethering H4? - Contact me

    This whole thread is starting to feel like a bad play...

    Sorry guys... perhaps I am wrong here but I seriously have my doubts...

  33. #33
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    66
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Problems tethering H4? - Contact me

    Despite your having tried "everything" I suggest you concentrate on the voltage/amperage source. If your cameras works fine with the 7.2v battery grip, but provide intermittant operation tethered via firewire, then it's likely volts and/or amps.

    The Gretag I1 usb spectrophotometer for monitor calibration provided similar intermittent failures if plugged into the keyboard USB port on a Mac. When plugged directly into a USB port on the motherboard, no problems. I only cite the Gretag I1 experience to illustrate the tethering problem is not limited to just Hasselblads.

    I have a H4D-60. On my 15" Macbook Pro the tethering is undependable. With my Mac Pro, tethering is consistent and reliable, for long periods of time. The cable is the same for both computers.

    Why the voltage/amperage problems? Could be cable or could be the FW port on your mac. 7.2 volts and 1800 milliamps is a lot. I suspect that your FW cable and/or computer do not ever deliver those volts and amps to your digital back. More likely cable or computer puts out the bottom of the required range of volts or amps the DB requires.

    You describe that it happens over multiple cameras. That would make me focus on the cables and the computer's FW port. Of course, you could have poor solder connections with the FW port on the DB, but I would think that was the least likely cause.

    The path I would take is to hunt down a computer that works with my camera in tethered mode. Buy a variety of different configurations of FW cable: 800>800, 800>400, 400>400. Visit friends with PC's and Macs. Load Phocus and try every cable. If nothing works, move to another computer until you've tried four or six different types. That's the pathway with the lowest outlay of money.

    You know tethering with Hasselblad H3 and H4's is possible. Too many people report success to say the feature is broken or has a fundamental design flaw.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •