The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

I'm considering a Phase One P45+

adaml

I've got an opportunity to switch from Hasselblad to Phase. In my case, I'd go with an H1 and P45+ back to keep my Hassy lenses and shoot with a Hassy body.

I welcome people's feedback and don't mean at all for this to be a Hassy vs Phase argument, I am more interested in the merits or downside of using an H1 and P45+.

I shoot fashion and portraits if that helps add to the discussions.

Thanks!
Adam

--
Adam Lerner Photography | 718-219-3006 | Commercial Fashion and Portrait Photographer

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
P45+ remains one of my favorite backs. I love the files and they were extremely easy to work and push around. Great long exposure capability too, and the minor crop was actually welcome in many cases since you could see outside the frame in the finder. The rear LCD and button UI is it's Achilles heel as compared to the IQ series.

Given that you shoot fashion and portraits however, you will want to shoot tethered with an assistant so you can evaluate focus, color and exposure on the fly. If you shoot by yourself or un-tethered, I'd seriously suggest you opt for the newer IQ UI -- it is so important to check for critical focus, and the double-tap on the IQ replay is perfect for that.

adaml

Thanks Jack. I'd been shooting with an H3DII-31. Not great LCD, so typically when shooting to card, my asst would pop the card to check focus on the computer. I've never been a fan of Phocus, and I've heard that C1 is fantastic.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
One downside to the P45plus with the 7.6 micron sensor is moire will be more a issue compared to the newer 6 micron Dalsa sensors. Which are the p40,p65, and IQ 140,160 which all four use the Dalsa sensors . Other than that the P45 plus is a nice back . If I shot fashion full time I would go with the Dalsa sensors myself. More neutral color tones out of the box and also less moire issues. It's a great back though just need to be aware of its qualities and limitations. Some things to know. A little less DR over the Dalsa and the Kodak sensor of the P45 will produce slightly more saturated files, but again all that can be tuned in post so may not be a big deal. Many great fashion shooters have used the P45 with much success.

C1 is awesome shooting tethered to it.

Guy Mancuso

For example in C1 tethered you can create a style with qualities that you can fine tune in your shooting and every image coming in will be of that style. This is non destructive as well so if you want to change settings in post you can easily reset it than apply even a different style or setting. Totally can tune C1 to do whatever you want.

adaml

Thanks Guy. I've heard such great things about the P45+ chip and think I can live witl a bit of moire. And the IQ backs and P65+ are a bit too far North of my budget.

Guy Mancuso

Now Adam the P45 is a great back and a great inexpensive way in to the Phase systems so don't want to talk you out of it in any way at all. I shot them all and honestly moire is not as bad or even as often as you hear on the Internet. Honestly maybe even overblown in many ways, but just something to be looking for and aware off and would be the same in that regard as the H31 back or H39 back for instance. C1 software I am very bias on since I can tune so well with it so switching to a Phase back is a great move to make and keeping your Hassy lenses is a great solution.

Guy Mancuso

Thanks Guy. I've heard such great things about the P45+ chip and think I can live witl a bit of moire. And the IQ backs and P65+ are a bit too far North of my budget.
Yea nothing to worry about but did just want to point out. Also getting in the P45 plus will also be a great upgrade option for you down the road. I also think you are maybe better off with the P45 as a switch over than a P65 as your not gaining much on the P65 as far as the functionality of the back itself. You won't get that part until you get to the IQ. So maybe get in today on the cheap per say than when your ready the next step would be the IQ down the road. I did baby steps and it cost me more that way, taking bigger jumps maybe better. P45 today down the road a bigger jump to the IQ when you can handle those costs.

Guy Mancuso

If your working with a dealer look into there Capture One classes as well and get a beat on the software. Once you learn it you can't use anything else, trust me on this one. I'm a C1 freak. Lol

ondebanks

One downside to the P45plus with the 7.6 micron sensor is moire will be more a issue compared to the newer 6 micron Dalsa sensors.
Well the P45+ is 6.8 microns actually, so it's not all that different to the 6.0 micron sensors.

And your current H3DII-31 is exactly the same - 6.8 micron pixels - so you know what to expect in terms of moire.

In usage, the thing you are trading off is larger sensor size with the P45+ versus about 1 stop higher ISO sensitivity (better signal to noise due to microlenses) with the H3DII-31 or P30+.

Ray (nervously correcting Guy on his own site!)

adaml

Any Portrait of Fashion shooters using a P45+ and H body? I'm interested to know people's experience and workflow with this system with that type of shooting.

Thanks

JorisV

I would recommend upgrading to the H4X over time.

It will give you a more stable system, better AF and True Focus.

adaml

I ended up with a P45+ and H2 body. Nice setup. The H4x is tempting, but the price is a prohibitive factor and perhaps those funds better served in another lens or computer upgrade. I've never seen an H4x used so it seems the only path is thru Hasselblad by relinquishing your older H body plus a large sum of cash.

I would recommend upgrading to the H4X over time.

It will give you a more stable system, better AF and True Focus.