The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

When is the new Phase One camera coming out?

KeithL

I don't imagine the new pee-one will be a leaf shutter system and so don't imagine I'll be the least interested.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
I don't imagine the new pee-one will be a leaf shutter system and so don't imagine I'll be the least interested.
The current df/df+ supports leaf shutters. They sync up to 1/1600th - faster than any other leaf shutter system.

I strongly believe the Schneider LS lens lineup will be supported on the new body.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Ill take dumb and reliable. I would like bracketing and exposure comp to be decoupled and AF to be better than glacial too. Oh, and real leaf shutter operation vs focal plane shutter AND leaf shutter combo when shooting in LS mode.

Ok, ok, I'd also take multi AF points and tighter integration with the back too. Heck, a 2008 DSLR vs. 1998 DSLR would be a big improvement. The ONLY reason for my DF is to hold the glass!

A new kick butt wide angle TS Schneider lens wouldn't go amiss either. Give us a reason to not dream of a Leica S ...

KeithL

The current df/df+ supports leaf shutters. They sync up to 1/1600th - faster than any other leaf shutter system.

I strongly believe the Schneider LS lens lineup will be supported on the new body.
Thanks, Doug.

Yes, I'm aware of the Schneider LS lenses. I'm not sure how the leaf shutters are implemented with the DF or obviously the new P1 body, but if it's anything like the Leica S system then I'll pass.

Leica S sequence:-

1.Shutter released
2.Mirror goes up
3.Aperture diaphragm closes down to desired f-stop
4.Focal plane shutter opens
5.Camera starts exposure electronically
6.Central shutter closes
7.Aperture opens
8.Focal plane shutter closes
9.Central shutter opens
10.Mirror returns

As some on this forum have found this is a recipe for vibration. I'm not sure of the DF firing sequence, perhaps it's better? It needs to be.

Landscapelover

Senior Subscriber Member
As a landscape photographer, I am not very demanding. What I need are bigger viewfinder with split screen for MF, excellent AF (DF+ is good enough for me), great battery (DF+ with rechargeable battery is more than enough), good set-up for MUP and live view as good as cheap 35mm DSLRs.
It's very easy, just copy the Leica S2 and add a few, landscape photographers will be very happy :)
Can I ask for SK 24, 35mm and 300mm? T/S with some wide angle lenses would be nice.

Pramote

Last edited:

hcubell

DF is pretty much the same sequence. Two shutters trip vs just the leaf shutter alone.
Is it possible to design a camera that can use both a focal plane shutter and leaf shutter lenses that does NOT follow that sequence? If so, I would have thought that Leica would have done so with the S2.

kdphotography

AF speed on the DF is okay. But now that we have these really great dilithium crystal batteries, I'd expect that the focusing motors can now jump to warp speed....:D

But more importantly, I'd like more AF accuracy--- and by that I mean control, or at least knowing more confidently where the camera has locked focus pre-focus mask check on the IQ MFDB. Okay, so I get that it's hard to have a bazillion focus points ala Canon eos, but I'd settle for just a couple more strategically spaced out, and controlled by both CF and a small button toggle control. Too much to ask? Then how about the option in a CF to light up a small AF cross hair in red in the viewfinder that shows exactly where the camera has locked focus?

I really don't want a camera like a DSLR or point and shoot that is so jam packed with electronics and features no one really uses. I just want a medium format platform that accomplishes "the basics" really really well.

Rock-solid, reliable, vibration free (focal/LS options), and great autofocus.
That's what I want when I invest in the next Phase camera. 2014?

Yeah, and I'd even take one in Ferrari edition red... :D Whatever Phase does, just don't slap on ebony wood grips on a camera body and call it "new."

ken

Pemihan

I'm thinking of selling my Mamiya AFD III with all my lenses and whatnot and just stay with my Cambo...

GrahamWelland

I'm thinking of selling my Mamiya AFD III with all my lenses and whatnot and just stay with my Cambo...
I think many of us here who shoot tech cams have that same thought. Frequently.

Pick the tools that suit your goals and preferred shooting experience. Nothing wrong with that.

I still yearn for that single MF system that lets me abandon my Nikons, Fujis etc.

AF speed on the DF is okay. But now that we have these really great dilithium crystal batteries, I'd expect that the focusing motors can now jump to warp speed....:D

But more importantly, I'd like more AF accuracy--- and by that I mean control, or at least knowing more confidently where the camera has locked focus pre-focus mask check on the IQ MFDB. Okay, so I get that it's hard to have a bazillion focus points ala Canon eos, but I'd settle for just a couple more strategically spaced out, and controlled by both CF and a small button toggle control. Too much to ask? Then how about the option in a CF to light up a small AF cross hair in red in the viewfinder that shows exactly where the camera has locked focus?

I really don't want a camera like a DSLR or point and shoot that is so jam packed with electronics and features no one really uses. I just want a medium format platform that accomplishes "the basics" really really well.

Rock-solid, reliable, vibration free (focal/LS options), and great autofocus.
That's what I want when I invest in the next Phase camera. 2014?

Yeah, and I'd even take one in Ferrari edition red... :D Whatever Phase does, just don't slap on ebony wood grips on a camera body and call it "new."

ken
Do not get surprised if you get Phase One Body w/ all DSLR features. :) Rumors are Canon investing heavily in MF technology. We will not know anything before 2014!

Canon Looking to Medium Format for Growth? « Canon Rumors

More Medium Format Talk [CR1] « Canon Rumors

Subrata

mmbma

a Phase one body with DSRL features would be awesome actually. an accurate and fast auto focus to start.

actually it makes sense for the current flagship like of the full frame DSLRs to move to medium format, and let the prosumer line such as 800e and 5D be full frame 135mm

Do not get surprised if you get Phase One Body w/ all DSLR features. :) Rumors are Canon investing heavily in MF technology. We will not know anything before 2014!

Canon Looking to Medium Format for Growth? « Canon Rumors

More Medium Format Talk [CR1] « Canon Rumors

Subrata

Ken_R

I wouldnt expect a New Phase One camera much before Photokina 2014 (Mid-Late Sept.). That would be my guess. Expect full compatibility with most of the Mamiya/SK lenses. Would be nice to see tilt/shift lenses. CMOS should take a bit more to appear in a new back.

I guess Pentax can thank Hassy and Phase for being so far behind, they seem to have really taken off.

I wish Phase/Mamiya would develop some new lenses for the RZ. Just a 35mm and a nice fast 70 or 80. Then I wouldn't need a new body or new features or anything else. It's the only limitation of an RZ and digital back ... then I can sit it out and wait for a new 6x7 digital back that would work on my techno as well!! Seems so obvious that this is what Phase should do.

hogweed

it will come, sooner or later...
the question is:
Will the lens mount be the same? (Mamiya)
Will the back mount stay the same? (Mamiya, or maybe something completely new)

hogweed

GrahamWelland

They would have to be out of their minds to consider either of those options. It would be commercial suicide to abandon either standard.

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
+1 to what Graham said and if the lens mount is maintained, they are stuck with screw-focus unless a new line of lenses were to be introduced with integral motors.
-bob