Site Sponsors

Thread: Leica 120 TS-APO- Elmar

Post Thanks / Like

Leica 120 TS-APO- Elmar

I am looking in to this lens. If any of you have any experiences or comments, please let me know.
    Thanks,
    R----

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Leica 120 TS-APO- Elmar

It's basically the Schneider PC TS 120mm f/5.6 that's available for just about every camera platform there is, only some $2700 more expensive, because Leica.

I'm sure many S owners are waiting on a Leica-made TS that's faster than f/5.6 (which I've heard results in a darkish viewfinder).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rollei8is View Post
    I am looking in to this lens. If any of you have any experiences or comments, please let me know.
    Thanks,
    R----
    I bought this lens but returned it two days later,I think it is probably fine for product photography but for landscape or architecture it's not even close to the brilliant 120mm macro ..

I also found it difficult to focus at any kind of distance.. build quality is very good though..

Rob

Post Thanks / Like

RVB, Kolor,

Thanks for the info. I thought it would be a great lens with TS for landscape.

I have the 30-90 and am considering a second lens, perhaps the 24mm would be better bet.

Thanks, again.

R----

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rollei8is View Post
    RVB, Kolor,

Thanks for the info. I thought it would be a great lens with TS for landscape.

I have the 30-90 and am considering a second lens, perhaps the 24mm would be better bet.

Thanks, again.

R----
    The 24mm is very very good..

sent you a P.M with a link to a few files..

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The 120mm macro is the best lens in the S range...or at least that I have used. I think if you have the 30-90, the 120 is probably a better choice. It does very well for landscapes, since it is perfectly sharp at basically all distances and apertures, and the focal length gives you a bit of reach, but not so much as to lose all your context. In addition, it is a 1:2 macro lens, is faster than your 30-90, and makes a great portrait lens. For me, anyway, it would be a no-brainer over the 24mm, which is an extreme wide angle that would see very little use (for me...again, your photography might be different, but since you already have the 30mm, that is fairly wide on the S...if you need wider it would be easier to stitch than it would be replicate the characteristics of the 120 macro (DOF, close focus, reach at full resolution etc).
    My photos are here: http://www.stuartrichardson.com and more recent work here: http://stuartrichardson.tumblr.com/ Please have a look at my book!
    My lab is here: http://www.customphotolab.is and on facebook