Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Hasselbladish RX100

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Hasselbladish RX100

You're a bit late to the party, Marc. I posted the documentation that the H bodies are indeed made in Sweden further up this thread, but i might deserve to have it rubbed in

When that is said, I heard that rumour many years ago, can't remember when, and I don't even think that there's any evil intent behind it. Fuji makes as good MF cameras as anybody else. The problem is probably rather that people, myself included, are lazy and don't bother to check anywhere else when the information can't be found on Hasselblad's own website. I still wonder why it isn't there, but then, according to the website, they are still owned by Shriro and that was two years ago. Maybe they need a new webmaster

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post
    How long before somebody makes a similar wooden grip for the RX100 and other cameras and sells it for 100 bucks or thereabouts?
    50 € Jorgen. And it will probably take maybe 2 weeks before the copy kids have it ready to ship.

Regards
    Stefan
    because photography is more than technology - and " as we have done this all the time "
    facebook:hcam.de - www.hcam.de - www.hartblei.de

Post Thanks / Like

Hasselblad like any tecnology brand, can "lead" or "copy"...

I love the H system, and i think that they still have the best DMF body of the market ( Leica S its great but its more a big 35mm system, no really interchangeable DMF)

But i am afraid this new core bussines of PIMP others models, with no technology added value to original model its dangerous for the Hasselblad image brand...

Its time for a wake up call for the DMF industry, lead again or die slowly...
    Hurts for all that love the MF system like me seeing so many profissionals leave for the d800...hurts but its a reality, myself saw 4 this year in Portugal...

He need again a game changer in the DMF system...not by MP war but by big jump in advance body tecnology or a huge price drop in the entry-level system (31-40MP)

My dream its a Hassy H6D with "just" 50MP made with top Sony Cmos sensor, 400-800 working ISO...and a more affordable price point to more profissionals and advance amateurs
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

OK I take back anything I said about the grip, the copykids are in Sweden.
    It´s long done and better for 34,95 $ US see here

Richard Franiec's Camera Accessories

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2012/07/19/Sony-RX100-accessory-grip-from-Richard-Franeic
    because photography is more than technology - and " as we have done this all the time "

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Stefan Steib View Post
    OK I take back anything I said about the grip, the copykids are in Sweden.
    It´s long done and better for 34,95 $ US see here

Richard Franiec's Camera Accessories

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2012/07/19/Sony-RX100-accessory-grip-from-Richard-Franeic
    It doesn't count if it isn't made from rainforest trees or some endangered species

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

It´s actually made pretty good:
    CNC´d Aluminium black eloxed. Pretty and fitting good as can be seen in the images. Probably also fits to the new RX100 II.

here is one more alternative - even cheaper even smaller in 3 fitting sizes

http://flipbac.com/camera-grip-design-materials.htm

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

They do look rather nice. I didn't know that they were made of aluminium. Thought it was some kind of plastic. If it really fits the Mark II, that will become a very nice camera. Add the VF and it's probably all I need most of the time, but I suppose that can be said about a number of good cameras

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

must be the H Harley made a bike for 10 k then you bought after market parts did some engine work and you had an additional 20-25k invested! But you had to do all the research your self or hire a professional customizer.

Now someone made a camera and H Hasselbald customized it with after market parts for the buyer so without doing any work or research all you had to do is pay. I think it works for some people who want different.

But AGAIN if you haven't seen the product in person you can't justify the price because what H did do is over the top quality whether or not you like the design is another story.
    “Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”
    Mark Twain

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Oh, never mind...
    Last edited by Jorgen Udvang; 25th July 2013 at 02:38.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

What I ask myself is: is the Hasselblad logo really worth 1000 € extra ?
    It can´t be about individualization as this can be done really nicely and way cheaper e.g. here:

sony rx100 gariz | eBay

The only possible explanation I now have is that really rich people buy this because its a scam and showing they don´t care a iota about money, kind of proof: look I know I just threw away 1000 € and I give a shxx about it ?
    Like the guys who light a cigar with a 100 $ bill ?
    Mabye that´s true snobism.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Backlit sensor: RX100 II yes, Stellar no
    Articulated LCD: RX100 II yes, Stellar no
    Hot shoe: RX100 II yes, Stellar no
    Optional EVF: RX100 II yes, Stellar no
    Optional external mic: RX100 II yes, Stellar no
    Built in WiFi: RX100 II yes, Stellar no
    Piece of wood bolted onto the body: RX100 II no, Stellar yes
    Price: RX100 II $749, Stellar $2,600+

"The Hasselblad Stellar redefines quality..." must be the piece of wood then.

Most European countries, Sweden included, have strict laws against misleading marketing. If anybody bothered to report the marketing of this product to the capitalist-eating bureaucrats at Konsumentverket in Karlstad, Hasselblad would have a tough time defending themselves.

I've been criticized by some for my relentless attacks of Hasselblad and their products. To start with, I've been an admirer of Hasselblad and their products all my life, and my reasons for not owning one, one of the MF Hasselblads, have been solely financial. I still consider buying a 203FE if I can find one for a reasonable price.

If I come to an airport and there's a queue of taxis outside, all Toyota Corollas, but I have been convinced by a driver that I should go with his luxury limousine paying him 4 times the normal taxi rate to get a more comfortable ride... if that luxury limousine proves to be a Toyota Corolla with leather seats and a golden Lexus logo (this is happening all the time is Asian countries), it's a scam and most people would recognise it as such.

This is exactly what Hasselblad is doing. They attach a piece of wood and their logo and say it "redefines quality". The only reason they can get away with it, if they do, is that there are enough ignorant people with loaded wallets out there. But that doesn't change matters. It's still a Corolla with a Lexus logo sold at a Lexus price. It's still a scam.

One can always claim that many run-of the-mill products are re-branded and sold as luxury items, but the real luxury products are mostly well within the tradition of each brand and they are mostly unique in areas that matter, although many are manufactured and/or assembled in low cost countries.

When Larry Hansen was appointed CEO of Hasselblad, he said: "Owning a Hasselblad is the dream of all serious photographers around the world and we will continue to make every effort to make that dream as accessible as possible for enthusiasts as well as professionals." (Hasselblad appoints new Chief Executive Officer). If this is what he means by making a Hasselblad accessible for enthusiasts, I am the King of Mesopotamia. I would rather call this "Making a Sony unaccessible".

I apologize for all these rants and for being angry about it, but I am angry; angry because the management at Hasselblad doesn't have guts enough or skills enough to develop a product that makes a difference and angry because the same management is doing their utmost to destroy a great brand.

Jorgen, I doubt that you'll find many photographers here on Get Dpi that do not agree that the whole "Lunar thing" is a travesty ... including Hasselblad users. Of all the things they could have done to expand on the Hasselblad heritage, who in their wildest dreams could have even speculated on such a bad one?

However, spreading your anger over it to the one thing they do right was where some of us drew the line. No need to make up stuff about the H ... which you have since recanted ... because the Lunar type products are more than enough bad news. Going on and on about it just sounds obsessively negative. Step outside and scream at Hasselblad's new owners ... you sound so angry, that they may even hear you in Sweden

Who knows what the hell is going on at that company ... or for that matter a few other companies in Sweden.

I am a huge fan of Volvo cars, and my 2005 CX90 SUV is perhaps the best vehicle I've ever owned ... and newer owners tell me the same. At least Ford did not destroy the Brand's core appeal. They are now owned by a Chinese company who apparently also have enough brains to NOT screw with the product. They have posted record sales in China so far this year, so that is using the China connection to good effect. Conversely, once quirky Saab was destroyed by stodgy and bureaucratic GM who did things like rebadging their dumpy and lumbering GMC SUV with a Saab emblem Hardly fighter jet inspired.

Maybe the investment company that bought Hasselblad needs a tax write off by deliberately causing it to fail

- Marc

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Marc,
    I thought I deleted that... oh well, I mean every word. I had a bad night, ear infection and two hours of sleep, met a cockroach when I entered the bathroom, so I took it out on Hasselblad, or rather Ventizz. I don't doubt for a second that the brains behind this must be hidden somewhere down there. There must be people at Hasselblad also who are not happy about these things.

The Saab example is a good one and shows the same lack of understanding for the philosophy behind the brand. There's one more commonality: Saab and Hasselblad are both famous brands behind excellent products with a strong personality, but they have both had problems becoming profitable for long periods of time. Maybe that's the price of genius?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stefan Steib View Post
    What I ask myself is: is the Hasselblad logo really worth 1000 € extra ?
    It can´t be about individualization as this can be done really nicely and way cheaper e.g. here:

sony rx100 gariz | eBay

The only possible explanation I now have is that really rich people buy this because its a scam and showing they don´t care a iota about money, kind of proof: look I know I just threw away 1000 € and I give a shxx about it ?
    Like the guys who light a cigar with a 100 $ bill ?
    Mabye that´s true snobism.
    There may be stupid rich people who would do such things - but my guess is that it is a very small market - as you don't get rich being being intentionally stupid.

It really is a pity that Phase 1 /Leaf didn't buy HB, as it would have been a better partnership than the current one with Mamiya.

It just is very sad to see HB go this way.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pedro39photo View Post

Hurts for all that love the MF system like me seeing so many profissionals leave for the d800...hurts but its a reality, myself saw 4 this year in Portugal...

He need again a game changer in the DMF system...not by MP war but by big jump in advance body tecnology or a huge price drop in the entry-level system (31-40MP)
    I agree, what DMF needs is a shake up!

With rumours of both Nikon and Canon fielding ≈50mp cameras soon, this change needs to happen sooner than later.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Swissblad View Post
    It really is a pity that Phase 1 /Leaf didn't buy HB, as it would have been a better partnership than the current one with Mamiya.
    "Better", in what sense?

Hasselblad had long acquired the former Imacon to develop their DBs...what more did they need?

Plus you can still put a Phase One or Leaf DB on a H4X.

Ray

Post Thanks / Like

I agree, what DMF needs is a shake up!

With rumors of both Nikon and Canon fielding ≈50mp cameras soon, this change needs to happen sooner than later.
    Yes, we need a "Blackmagic" DMF camera revolution...
    I think that is a limit for the 35mm MP because of diffraction, its almost impossible to shoot more than f5.6 in compacts and with d800e maybe f11.

The big shake up that we need in the DMF its in Body ( like blackmagic ) or in a big price drop to catch more professionals and advanced amateur with low budgets.

The base body of today DMF bodys are 10 years old...Hassy H1 and Mamiya 645 we need a big shake up...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

There may be stupid rich people who would do such things - but my guess is that it is a very small market - as you don't get rich being being intentionally stupid.

It just is very sad to see HB go this way.
    This is all guesswork of course, but I think an alliance with Phase 1/Leaf wouldn't help anybody, particularly not photographers since it would reduce the number of options. If I should guess further, Hasselblad has two problems, both self inflicted:

- While the H System works excellently for professional photographers, it never really appealed to the enthusiast crowd. It looks too much like an industrial tool, which it is.

- By making it a closed system, most amateurs felt that they were totally locked out and even among pros there were many negative reactions when it happened. I don't know how many opted out though.

I don't know how much Leica will gain long term by enabling the use of Hasselblad (Fujinon ) and Contax/Zeiss lenses on the S cameras, but my guess is that it's quite a lot since it lowers the entrance price, again particularly among amateurs. What Hasselblad could do is selling the H4X for a low price ($3,000, 3,500 with lens?), enabling amateurs to buy a used $4,000 back and have a camera which would be functionally new for $7-8,000. I would be interested and I believe I'm not alone. This doesn't change the fact that it's a somewhat large camera, but at least they have painted it in somewhat more attractive colours now.

As it is now, the H4X is $5,000+. Add to that an H1 or H2 body for exchange and viewfinder with a total value of at least $1-2,000 and we are closing in on $7,000 without a back and in many cases also without a lens. That's the price of a brand new Pentax including lens and for most amateurs not an option.

There have been statements from Hasselblad at least twice lately that I can remember about regaining the enthusiast market, but frankly, they have done nothing that would tempt serious amateurs back in.

Post Thanks / Like

What Hasselblad could do is selling the H4X for a low price ($3,000, 3,500 with lens?), enabling amateurs to buy a used $4,000 back and have a camera which would be functionally new for $7-8,000. I would be interested and I believe I'm not alone.
    I am not convinced.

You can buy an H2 now with a used back for that amount. It is not massively happening...

Your first bullet point about the H camera is very true though. It is an excellent camera but it fails to excite people. The same can be said of the Mamiya DF. People do not tend to get very passionate about these cameras. They are just excellent workhorses. The only MF camera in my opinion that could get enthusiasts excited is the Hy6.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by JorisV View Post
    I am not convinced.

You can buy an H2 now with a used back for that amount. It is not massively happening...

Your first bullet point about the H camera is very true though. It is an excellent camera but it fails to excite people. The same can be said of the Mamiya DF. People do not tend to get very passionate about these cameras. They are just excellent workhorses. The only MF camera in my opinion that could get enthusiasts excited is the Hy6.
    The problem with the H2 is that

1. It's used, mostly professionally

2. It doesn't support all lenses, does it? I've never manged to figure out what is supported on what H model, which is again a weakness... with me and/or the system

+1 to the Hy6. It's simply a cut above, looks sexy, accepts most or all 6000 system lenses and can shoot 6x6 film... and is a bit expensive too. I guess I will get one eventually

Post Thanks / Like

So how long until we see cheap knockoff DIY kits for converting your NEX or RX into a Hasslebling? I'll take the purple pimp edition with hydraulics and spinning rims.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ondebanks View Post
    "Better", in what sense?

Hasselblad had long acquired the former Imacon to develop their DBs...what more did they need?

Plus you can still put a Phase One or Leaf DB on a H4X.

Ray
    We'd have more innovative backs, an affordable 22mp version and a CFV with rotating sensor for classical V users ....

On the other hand, Leaf/Phase 1 would have a much more powerful camera at their disposal.

Phase 1/ Leaf are also much more serious about photography than Ventiz and their looney management.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, we need a "Blackmagic" DMF camera revolution...
    I think that is a limit for the 35mm MP because of diffraction, its almost impossible to shoot more than f5.6 in compacts and with d800e maybe f11.

The big shake up that we need in the DMF its in Body ( like blackmagic ) or in a big price drop to catch more professionals and advanced amateur with low budgets.

The base body of today DMF bodys are 10 years old...Hassy H1 and Mamiya 645 we need a big shake up...
    I agree we need a new quantum leap in MFD.

Regarding pixel density and diffraction:

While in days past Adam's believed in f64, Bresson/Capa in "f8 and be there", it now seems that "f1.4 and bokeh" rule the world.

But - just as the D7000 paved the way for the D800, I believe the D7100 with its 24mp cropped sensor will pave the way for a ≈ 50 mp Nikon D4X.

Regardless of optical limitations, this will shake up the MFD world.

Or perhaps I'm

Post Thanks / Like

And before we forget the reason some of us are so passionate about HB and are so irate about this looney perversion:
    Quote Originally Posted by Bildifokus View Post

From Mikael's post - I think this photo says it all.

Hasselblad H4D-50 | HC 2,2/100 | f2,2 | 1/180s | iso 50

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Marc,
    I thought I deleted that... oh well, I mean every word. I had a bad night, ear infection and two hours of sleep, met a cockroach when I entered the bathroom, so I took it out on Hasselblad, or rather Ventizz. I don't doubt for a second that the brains behind this must be hidden somewhere down there. There must be people at Hasselblad also who are not happy about these things.

The Saab example is a good one and shows the same lack of understanding for the philosophy behind the brand. There's one more commonality: Saab and Hasselblad are both famous brands behind excellent products with a strong personality, but they have both had problems becoming profitable for long periods of time. Maybe that's the price of genius?
    IMO, Hasselblad was hardly genius material. They let one opportunity after another slip through their fingers for lack of vision. They prattled on-and-on about the "square" and let some Japanese ceramics company who bought Yashica beat them to the punch with the very innovative Contax 645 system sporting delicious Zeiss AF lenses. Then they responded with the H camera but insisted that digital was just a phase ... and they were right ... Phase One!

Strong Brand personalities can't rest on their initial thrust of genius, they have to redefine it to meet ever changing on-going demands ... all while fiercely protecting their core Brand values.

To this day, I look at the spectacular 200 series Hasselblad cameras, and day-dream of what could have been. Nothing has ever felt as good in hand, or felt so good to work with, or looked so dammed serious as a piece of photographic industrial design ... to the point that IMHO everything else MF before or since is somehow junky in comparison. So what do they do? Discontinue it, forever dashing dreams of what could have been.

- Marc

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by fotografz View Post
    To this day, I look at the spectacular 200 series Hasselblad cameras, and day-dream of what could have been. Nothing has ever felt as good in hand, or felt so good to work with, or looked so dammed serious as a piece of photographic industrial design ... to the point that IMHO everything else MF before or since is somehow junky in comparison. So what do they do? Discontinue it, forever dashing dreams of what could have been.

- Marc
    You're nor alone apparently. On the used market, a 203FE sells for 50-100% more than a H1 in similar condition. If that shouldn't set off some alarm clocks in Göteborg, I don't know what should. I must admit I bought a brochure for the thing on eBay the other day, just to keep the hope going

Interestingly, DHW Fototechnik, which one has to assume runs a very tight ship, has found it worthwhile to keep producing the Rolleiflex TLR including wide-angle and telephoto versions, and the 6008 AF, and the X-Act 2 in addition obviously to the Hy6. But they had to re-start from scratch and consider what the customer wanted rather than what financial wizards and cash-hungry investors see in their crystal balls.

Post Thanks / Like

On the other hand, Leaf/Phase 1 would have a much more powerful camera at their disposal.
    Yeah, you see that's where we disagree. You seem to forget that MFD is emphatically not a one-size-fits-all proposition. The H system works well for you. It would not work at all for me.

Specifically: I could never regard any camera as "more powerful" if it cannot take any 3rd party/adapted lenses, cannot be used at the focus of a telescope or microscope, has no fast shutter speeds, doesn't take a film back (Phase One became guilty of that too more recently, starting with the DF model)...

The photo below of the moon was taken by eyepiece projection into my old Mamiya 645AFD, to yield an effective focal length of around 3000 mm. No H-series body in the world can do this. Still think it's a "much more powerful camera"?

You wouldn't be the first Hasselblad user to be just a teeny bit blinkered as to the limitations of the whole H platform. I wonder if some of the allegations of "Hasselblad bashing" that get thrown around are simply over-reactions to others having to point these limitations out sometimes.

Incidentally, I completely agree with Marc re. the marvellous Hasselblad 200 series. With the fast focal plane shutter AND leaf shutter lens support, they avoided these limitations. If Hasselblad had developed that line further, adding autofocus and maybe integrating the winder grip into the body, it could have been the bees knees - something like the Hy6, but even better.

Ray

Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Wow, never did I think my post would spark so much conversation. All I wanted to say was I hope Hasselblad doesn't lose its grip on medium format, I want a digital XPAN and no more Sony hand me downs

Mark

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ondebanks View Post
    Yeah, you see that's where we disagree. You seem to forget that MFD is emphatically not a one-size-fits-all proposition. The H system works well for you. It would not work at all for me.

Ray

Actually I'm a classic V user and occasional H user.

Nice moon BTW.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by markymarkrb View Post
    Wow, never did I think my post would spark so much conversation. All I wanted to say was I hope Hasselblad doesn't lose its grip on medium format, I want a digital XPAN and no more Sony hand me downs

Mark
    I want a digital Xpan as well!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I love the H system, and i think that they still have the best DMF body of the market ( Leica S its great but its more a big 35mm system, no really interchangeable DMF)

But i am afraid this new core bussines of PIMP others models, with no technology added value to original model its dangerous for the Hasselblad image brand...

My dream its a Hassy H6D with "just" 50MP made with top Sony Cmos sensor, 400-800 working ISO...and a more affordable price point to more profissionals and advance amateurs

I think what is interesting about what people think MFD needs is that often descriptions sound like 35mm. Already, there is a product close to what you describe above - the H5D-40.

However, when I look at your specs, it makes me wonder why someone would pay the price for that when they can shoot the same specs in 35mm format for less. Certainly 40mp - 50mp and higher will emerge from 35mm. In fact, the megapixel wars that MFD has been accused of in the past have caught on with everyone else - if anything, 35mm is competing against SmartPhones more than they are trying to catch MFD, when it comes to pixel counts. Resultingly, MFD will always be bigger. More than anything else, that must always remain their advantage. Otherwise, they change into something different, not medium format, and it remains to be seen how well they compete in a different arena, native technical prowess notwithstanding.

Creating a lower price point for MFD with smaller specs and without any of the cutting edge technology of the higher end products won't do much to extend their success, IMO. At any rate, it won't add much to the bottom line for MFD manufacturers.

That doesn't mean I don't agree that lower prices wouldn't spur more buyers for MFD. I just don't feel that this is what makes a real difference for MFD. To me, what keeps them relevant is the middle and high end, where the technology is pushed forward (and the profitability sustains R&D and growth, or at least continuation).

Steve Hendrix
    Capture Integration
    Steve Hendrix, Sales Manager, www.captureintegration.com (e-mail Me)
    Digital Cam: • Phase One | Leaf | Leica | Sinar • Authorized Reseller
    TechCam: • Alpa | Cambo | Arca Swiss | Sinar • Authorized Reseller

Post Thanks / Like

I love my H3D II 39MP system, just the pleasure of composing in that big viewfinder make me forget any future 40MP 35mm "speed train..." system
    For me the H3D its my lover and my Canon gear my work horse...it hurts a brand that we love having this bad feedback...

If we see the "trend" in the formats for the last years...i am a little afraid of this.

- High End smartphones and budget 35mm DSLRs are killing the compact cameras.
    - High End, and high MP 35mm are taking a great slice of the DMF market.

Its a reality that hurts very much, but its true. The nikon D800 was big hammer in the DMF industry the same way my Canon 5D Mark II was the hammer in the pro video segment. I don´t have any sponser from nikon, because i am Canon and Hassy user, but was remarkable what the d800 bring with a price tag so low...

The last backs in the H5D and in Phase are super great, but the bodys are very outdated in tech specs.

Its just a personal opinion and sorry my bad English.
    Pedro

Post Thanks / Like

I love my H3D II 39MP system, just the pleasure of composing in that big viewfinder make me forget any future 40MP 35mm "speed train..." system
    For me the H3D its my lover and my Canon gear my work horse...it hurts a brand that we love having this bad feedback...

If we see the "trend" in the formats for the last years...i am a little afraid of this.

- High End smartphones and budget 35mm DSLRs are killing the compact cameras.
    - High End, and high MP 35mm are taking a great slice of the DMF market.

Its a reality that hurts very much, but its true. The nikon D800 was big hammer in the DMF industry the same way my Canon 5D Mark II was the hammer in the pro video segment. I don´t have any sponser from nikon, because i am Canon and Hassy user, but was remarkable what the d800 bring with a price tag so low...

The last backs in the H5D and in Phase are super great, but the bodys are very outdated in tech specs.

Its just a personal opinion and sorry my bad English.
    Pedro
    Obrigado, very eloquently put Pedro.

I think that many on this forum are worried about the future of MFD and if it will survive, unless there is a quantum jump in camera (body) performance.

Post Thanks / Like

This article sums it up pretty nicely:

Wretched Excess

Post Thanks / Like

Regarding the current medium format camera bodies:

SLRs. I like the H1. Feels a tad dated but works great with my IQ160. Im sure the 645DF+ is similar.

However, the tech cameras available are superb if I judge them by my experience with the Arca Swiss rm3Di. Very well sorted out and designed. No dslr holds a candle to these for landscape and architecture.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_R View Post
    This article sums it up pretty nicely:

Wretched Excess
    Michael's rant is very valid - I really like 2 points:

1. Rebranding mainstream utilitarian consumer electronics and dressing them up in party finery along with carriage trade pricing is a commercial dead-end proposition. One can only hope that the company's current management come to their senses before becoming the laughing stock of the whole industry and rendering this once great brand scorned irrelevant.
    2. There is now no doubt. The venerable company Hasselblad appears to be completely out of innovative ideas and technologies and so has turned to dressing up other company's discontinued products and pimping them up for the carriage trade market, likely mostly in Asia.

Sad, but TRUE.

Thanks for the link.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

It's important to remember that people and institutions who invest in capital funds of the Ventizz type, do that for one reason and one reason only: To get a return on their investment. If they think that making souped up Sony cameras will increase the payback, that is what they will do. No grumpy, old photographer in the world will be able to convince them otherwise. Particularly not photographers who may or may not buy a Hasselblad MF camera next year or the year after, if he has enough money and if the weather is nice that day.

And if the production of those MF cameras don't generate enough profit, they will close that production down. They have already shown what have value in their marketing: The Apollo project, Swedish traditions and Italian design. If that isn't enough to sell the Stellunar, I fear for the future of Hasselblad, at least under the current ownership.

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe this overpriced Pimp cameras from Sony/Hasselblad are giving them the extra cash needed for the Research & Development department bring a new game changer camera....

A digital X Xpan or a H6D with Sony's Sensor RGBW Coding technology used on the D800.

Maybe in the future this bring Digital X-Pan made by Sony with a Hasselblad logo...this happened with the Fuji-Hassy for the great H series...

Lets chill out and have a great summer, in the end what really matter its the final pics...not the tools. ( its a lie, i love hassy....)

Pedro
    Last edited by pedro39photo; 28th July 2013 at 01:53.

Post Thanks / Like

I wonder that if we do see a digital XPAN, that it will be a Fuji and not HB product.
    The X-100, X-1 series could pave the way for such a product.....

Post Thanks / Like

It's important to remember that people and institutions who invest in capital funds of the Ventizz type, do that for one reason and one reason only: To get a return on their investment. If they think that making souped up Sony cameras will increase the payback, that is what they will do. No grumpy, old photographer in the world will be able to convince them otherwise. Particularly not photographers who may or may not buy a Hasselblad MF camera next year or the year after, if he has enough money and if the weather is nice that day.

And if the production of those MF cameras don't generate enough profit, they will close that production down. They have already shown what have value in their marketing: The Apollo project, Swedish traditions and Italian design. If that isn't enough to sell the Stellunar, I fear for the future of Hasselblad, at least under the current ownership.
    Thor - I agree with your assessment - but I wonder if we're not starting to
    :dh2:

All I can add is thankfully there are still companies like ALPA (or even Leica) who think differently.