The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hasselbladish RX100

jduncan

Hi,

One of my concerns is that it don't seem to have a viewfinder. Something in the lines of fuji x100s
will not make me buy it but will have shown that people with actual interest in photography are influencing the decision making process.

Maybe it will sale, but the missing viewfinder spokes a lot to me.

Best regards,
J. Duncan

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
All the H lenses are clearly marked Hasselblad and "Made in Japan". None of mine said Fuji on them. Of course the Fuji GX645 versions restricted to the Japanese market wouldn't say Hasselblad on them now would they?

- Marc
Funnily enough, they did. They said both actually:

Even the Fuji camera had the Hasselblad Logo on both sides, and it said "Made in Sweden" at the bottom. That came as a surprise to me. Photos here:

¡¾Í¼¡¿¡¾ÊýÂëºó±³Ì×»ú¡¿¸»Ê¿GX645+HC80/2.8+·É˼P45¡¾µÍ¼Û³öÊÛ¡¿¡¾ÒÑÊÛ³ö¡¿ £¤65000 93Р¸»Ê¿ ´óÖл*·ùÆ÷²Ä ¹ã¶«- ¶þÊÖÉãÓ°Æ÷²Ä½»Ò× - ·äÄñÂÛ̳

That clarifies a few things, at least for me, but doesn't make Stellunar look less weird.

jecxz

Better understood now ... however, I don't mind addressing some of the communications issues and persistent negative false info when it pops up ... even though I don't have my H4D/60 anymore.
- Marc
More evidence to my point, these false claims against Hasselblad products have been going on for so many years!

It is just so old a story now and quite frankly it will never end.

Here, even as far back as from 2008 (5 years ago), David Grover, from LuLu:

First Myth - "The H Cameras were / are made in Japan..."

Fuji had absolutely no involvement with the development of the H camera itself and actually joined the project two years after it started. They are of course a valued and extremely important partner for us, but their involvement stretches to the optical construction and some design of the lenses, the film cassettes and the optical construction of the viewfinder.

Lens design is very much a partnership between the two companies and we have our own designer, Per, based at the factory in Göteborg.

The optical design of the viewfinder also comes from Sweden.

The Lens shutter is also designed and manufactured in Sweden and holds a number of patents.

The production of H cameras has always been in Göteborg on a dedicated production line. The software in the H camera is 100% from Hasselblad.

The Fuji GX645 (A black Japan only version of the H1) was also made by Hasselblad and shipped to Japan.
See this link: David Grover / Hasselblad A/s

I will add Hasselblad designed the HTS and holds the patents on it.

When is enough enough? I'll tell you Marc (and Nick-T if you even care what I have to say), when you get tired with people repeating the same nonsense and you want to do better things with your life.

Kind regards,
Derek

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I'm afraid Hasselblad can thank themselves for speculations around the origins of the H System. On the Hasselblad website, the history of the company, the man and the V System take up 8 pages. The only information lacking is what Victor Hasselblad had for breakfast. Likewise, the creative process around the Lunar has been described down to the tiniest wood grain. The only information about the creation of the H System is to be found on the last of the historical pages:

"In 2002, another revolutionary camera system was launched. This time is was a 6x4.5 medium format camera incorporating the latest in technological developments including autofocus and very advanced electronic chip control. It was designed with digital technology in mind and became an immediate success."

Of course that makes people think it's a Fuji.

fotografz

i am aware of that! but the optical formula is from zeiss and there are also zeiss lenses made in germany, for a much higher price of course
There are no Contax 645 lenses made in Germany. No Contax N lenses made in Germany. Few CY lenses were continued as made in Germany except the Anniversary versions of the 50/1.2 and 85/1.2. None of the current adapted ZE/ZF Zeiss lenses are made in Germany ... Cosina manufactures them. So I guess by other people's standards these are Cosina lenses with a Zeiss logo, and are priced accordingly. Which is ridiculous of course.

- Marc

fotografz

Hi,

One of my concerns is that it don't seem to have a viewfinder. Something in the lines of fuji x100s
will not make me buy it but will have shown that people with actual interest in photography are influencing the decision making process.

Maybe it will sale, but the missing viewfinder spokes a lot to me.

Best regards,
J. Duncan
Cell phones don't have viewfinders either ... they are now the number one source for fast breaking journalistic coverage for news outlets. As the iPhone TV commercial says ... "More photos are taken with an iPhone than any other camera." People with money to burn are encasing their smart phones in bling and diamonds or designer emblazoned logos.

People that are targets for this sort of camera don't care if it has a viewfinder.

- Marc

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Says who?

You?

You know what everyone thinks?

You do not. No one knows what everyone thinks.

What I do know is that you are making a fool of yourself making fun of a camera company and its products over and over again. What hatred or mental issue do you suffer from? What needs are you lacking? Do you want attention? Are you lonely and need to talk to people? OK, if that's the case, I have a better understanding of what is driving your ad nauseum repetitive nonsense.

So you don't like the Lunar or the Stellar, ok, so what! I don't think anyone lives their lives based on your opinion of anything. This is a Medium Format forum, are you even a MF camera shooter?

I also know that the H system is the best complete MF system out there, period. When or IF P1 comes out with a body, then the H might have competition. But until then, the H system as a whole is the best there is, period. That's a very good accomplishment in my book. And a lot of people respect my opinion.

Kind regards,
Derek
The speculations about the origins of the H Series have been circulating as long as the existence of the system. I didn't invent it, but just launched a theory about how the lack of information on Hasselblad's website may have increased those speculations rather than eradicate them.

I have no idea what mental issues I suffer from. Maybe it's serious. Do you think I should see a shrink?

If I make fun of Hasselblad, it's because they make decisions and launch products that deserve being made fun of. But if you want to see higher temperatures, you should visit the Hasselblad discussions on other forums. My comments are rather civilised compared to many of them. But seriously, my most important reason for participating in this debate is that I see Hasselblad's marketing of these new cameras as unethical and extremely cynical. This is not what I have come to expect from one of the most respected brands in the camera industry.

I did not start this thread and I did not place it in the MF forum.

Yes, I am an MF shooter (GX680, film). Unfortunately, I have been more busy than I thought I would be and haven't used it as much as planned. I would have liked to be a Hasselblad owner, but with the only interesting current model for film shooters, at least long term, being expensive as well as complicated to buy (H4X), I'm out. The launch of the Lunar sealed that permanently.

I don't know what plans Ventizz Capital Fund IV L.P. has for Hasselblad, but the indications we have seen lately strongly suggests that they want to extract the brand name and logo for whatever it's worth.

When all that is said, I have made some mistakes during this debate, but I've also done some research, and learned something too. Hopefully, I'm not the only one.

fotografz

I'm afraid Hasselblad can thank themselves for speculations around the origins of the H System. On the Hasselblad website, the history of the company, the man and the V System take up 8 pages. The only information lacking is what Victor Hasselblad had for breakfast. Likewise, the creative process around the Lunar has been described down to the tiniest wood grain. The only information about the creation of the H System is to be found on the last of the historical pages:

"In 2002, another revolutionary camera system was launched. This time is was a 6x4.5 medium format camera incorporating the latest in technological developments including autofocus and very advanced electronic chip control. It was designed with digital technology in mind and became an immediate success."

Of course that makes people think it's a Fuji.
No, we can thank you for the speculations around the origins and who makes what where ... because no one else asked or cares.

BTW, you are a crappy detective I must say. It took 2 minutes to find info about where the H is made. :ROTFL:

The H-System is largely designed and manufactured by Hasselblad, with Fuji's involvement being limited to finalizing Hasselblad's lens designs and producing the glass for the lenses and viewfinders. Fuji was allowed under the agreement to sell the H1 under their name in Japan only - Source: Wikipedia (info that no one has corrected in 5 years if it is wrong).

The H cameras are clearly marked as made in Sweden, not Japan - source: my two eyes reading it on the camera plate.

"I was in Sweden this past September and a relative who lives in Goteborg called and arranged a tour of the manufacturing facilities where V series cameras were being assembled as well as the neat robotic facility for the H-1." Source: a p.net post on Hasselblad Factory tours.

"Hasselblad has announced its Danish and Swedish operations will now merge to be operated out of a single plant in Gothenburg. The world's premium medium format camera manufacturer is set to centralise its Danish and Swedish production and service functions in Gothenburg, Sweden". Source: Photo news report

Göteborg, Sweden: Visit to the legendary Hasselblad factory where renowned traditional and digital medium format cameras are built. - Source: THEREPORTAGE.COM (just after the merger with Imacon).

There are even pictures: TheReportage.com » SWEDEN : HASSELBLAD'S FACTORY IN GOTEBORG

Still think it is a Fuji? ... and even if you do in the face of info to the contrary ... who cares? If it is all a lie, and Fuji does it all, I still say who cares? The stuff works :thumbup:

- Marc

jduncan

Cell phones don't have viewfinders either ... they are now the number one source for fast breaking journalistic coverage for news outlets. As the iPhone TV commercial says ... "More photos are taken with an iPhone than any other camera." People with money to burn are encasing their smart phones in bling and diamonds or designer emblazoned logos.

People that are targets for this sort of camera don't care if it has a viewfinder.

- Marc
Agree with you, but they don't get mad if they have a view finder.
The fuji x100s are considered one of the best compact cameras on the same space.
My concerns is that they simply did not see the need.

To add something, the lack of synergy remains a concern for me. That is just because I fail to see this cameras as a cash flow devices (no mass market appeal). But I may be wrong on that sense, I am not a marketeer.

jduncan

No, we can thank you for the speculations around the origins and who makes what where ... because no one else asked or cares.

BTW, you are a crappy detective I must say. It took 2 minutes to find info about where the H is made. :ROTFL:

The H-System is largely designed and manufactured by Hasselblad, with Fuji's involvement being limited to finalizing Hasselblad's lens designs and producing the glass for the lenses and viewfinders. Fuji was allowed under the agreement to sell the H1 under their name in Japan only - Source: Wikipedia (info that no one has corrected in 5 years if it is wrong).

The H cameras are clearly marked as made in Sweden, not Japan - source: my two eyes reading it on the camera plate.

"I was in Sweden this past September and a relative who lives in Goteborg called and arranged a tour of the manufacturing facilities where V series cameras were being assembled as well as the neat robotic facility for the H-1." Source: a p.net post on Hasselblad Factory tours.

"Hasselblad has announced its Danish and Swedish operations will now merge to be operated out of a single plant in Gothenburg. The world's premium medium format camera manufacturer is set to centralise its Danish and Swedish production and service functions in Gothenburg, Sweden". Source: Photo news report

Göteborg, Sweden: Visit to the legendary Hasselblad factory where renowned traditional and digital medium format cameras are built. - Source: THEREPORTAGE.COM (just after the merger with Imacon).

There are even pictures: TheReportage.com » SWEDEN : HASSELBLAD'S FACTORY IN GOTEBORG

Still think it is a Fuji? ... and even if you do in the face of info to the contrary ... who cares? If it is all a lie, and Fuji does it all, I still say who cares? The stuff works :thumbup:

- Marc
Totally agree, it's just FUD designed to hurt the company, a company that is seen as the enemy (or competency) by some people. The fact has been shown hundreds of times and after a while they are at it again.

The FUD part is plain, not only from the fact that is false, but also because the argument is empty: a form of elitist bulling.

Since when cameras made in Japan are not professional or bad quality ?

The actual professional world, for the most part, is moved by Japanese cameras, like Nikon and Canon, to a lesser extend Sony and Fuji.
Most professionals that have European cameras have Japanese cameras too, with the medium format been use for different kind of work.

So what the point of the Hasselblad is a Fujinon again?

James

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
You're a bit late to the party, Marc. I posted the documentation that the H bodies are indeed made in Sweden further up this thread, but i might deserve to have it rubbed in :)

When that is said, I heard that rumour many years ago, can't remember when, and I don't even think that there's any evil intent behind it. Fuji makes as good MF cameras as anybody else. The problem is probably rather that people, myself included, are lazy and don't bother to check anywhere else when the information can't be found on Hasselblad's own website. I still wonder why it isn't there, but then, according to the website, they are still owned by Shriro and that was two years ago. Maybe they need a new webmaster :)

pedro39photo

Hasselblad like any tecnology brand, can "lead" or "copy"...

I love the H system, and i think that they still have the best DMF body of the market ( Leica S its great but its more a big 35mm system, no really interchangeable DMF)

But i am afraid this new core bussines of PIMP others models, with no technology added value to original model its dangerous for the Hasselblad image brand...

Its time for a wake up call for the DMF industry, lead again or die slowly...
Hurts for all that love the MF system like me seeing so many profissionals leave for the d800...hurts but its a reality, myself saw 4 this year in Portugal...

He need again a game changer in the DMF system...not by MP war but by big jump in advance body tecnology or a huge price drop in the entry-level system (31-40MP)

My dream its a Hassy H6D with "just" 50MP made with top Sony Cmos sensor, 400-800 working ISO...and a more affordable price point to more profissionals and advance amateurs

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
They do look rather nice. I didn't know that they were made of aluminium. Thought it was some kind of plastic. If it really fits the Mark II, that will become a very nice camera. Add the VF and it's probably all I need most of the time, but I suppose that can be said about a number of good cameras :ROTFL:

bab

must be the H Harley made a bike for 10 k then you bought after market parts did some engine work and you had an additional 20-25k invested! But you had to do all the research your self or hire a professional customizer.

Now someone made a camera and H Hasselbald customized it with after market parts for the buyer so without doing any work or research all you had to do is pay. I think it works for some people who want different.

But AGAIN if you haven't seen the product in person you can't justify the price because what H did do is over the top quality whether or not you like the design is another story.
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”
Mark Twain

Stefan Steib

What I ask myself is: is the Hasselblad logo really worth 1000 € extra ?
It can´t be about individualization as this can be done really nicely and way cheaper e.g. here:

sony rx100 gariz | eBay

The only possible explanation I now have is that really rich people buy this because its a scam and showing they don´t care a iota about money, kind of proof: look I know I just threw away 1000 € and I give a shxx about it ?
Like the guys who light a cigar with a 100 $ bill ?
Mabye that´s true snobism.