The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hasselbladish RX100

pedro39photo

I love my H3D II 39MP system, just the pleasure of composing in that big viewfinder make me forget any future 40MP 35mm "speed train..." system
For me the H3D its my lover and my Canon gear my work horse...it hurts a brand that we love having this bad feedback...

If we see the "trend" in the formats for the last years...i am a little afraid of this.

- High End smartphones and budget 35mm DSLRs are killing the compact cameras.
- High End, and high MP 35mm are taking a great slice of the DMF market.

Its a reality that hurts very much, but its true. The nikon D800 was big hammer in the DMF industry the same way my Canon 5D Mark II was the hammer in the pro video segment. I don´t have any sponser from nikon, because i am Canon and Hassy user, but was remarkable what the d800 bring with a price tag so low...

The last backs in the H5D and in Phase are super great, but the bodys are very outdated in tech specs.

Its just a personal opinion and sorry my bad English.
Pedro

Swissblad

I love my H3D II 39MP system, just the pleasure of composing in that big viewfinder make me forget any future 40MP 35mm "speed train..." system
For me the H3D its my lover and my Canon gear my work horse...it hurts a brand that we love having this bad feedback...

If we see the "trend" in the formats for the last years...i am a little afraid of this.

- High End smartphones and budget 35mm DSLRs are killing the compact cameras.
- High End, and high MP 35mm are taking a great slice of the DMF market.

Its a reality that hurts very much, but its true. The nikon D800 was big hammer in the DMF industry the same way my Canon 5D Mark II was the hammer in the pro video segment. I don´t have any sponser from nikon, because i am Canon and Hassy user, but was remarkable what the d800 bring with a price tag so low...

The last backs in the H5D and in Phase are super great, but the bodys are very outdated in tech specs.

Its just a personal opinion and sorry my bad English.
Pedro
Obrigado, very eloquently put Pedro.

I think that many on this forum are worried about the future of MFD and if it will survive, unless there is a quantum jump in camera (body) performance.

Ken_R

Regarding the current medium format camera bodies:

SLRs. I like the H1. Feels a tad dated but works great with my IQ160. Im sure the 645DF+ is similar.

However, the tech cameras available are superb if I judge them by my experience with the Arca Swiss rm3Di. Very well sorted out and designed. No dslr holds a candle to these for landscape and architecture.

Swissblad

This article sums it up pretty nicely:

Wretched Excess
Michael's rant is very valid - I really like 2 points:

1. Rebranding mainstream utilitarian consumer electronics and dressing them up in party finery along with carriage trade pricing is a commercial dead-end proposition. One can only hope that the company's current management come to their senses before becoming the laughing stock of the whole industry and rendering this once great brand scorned irrelevant.
2. There is now no doubt. The venerable company Hasselblad appears to be completely out of innovative ideas and technologies and so has turned to dressing up other company's discontinued products and pimping them up for the carriage trade market, likely mostly in Asia.

Sad, but TRUE.

Thanks for the link.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
It's important to remember that people and institutions who invest in capital funds of the Ventizz type, do that for one reason and one reason only: To get a return on their investment. If they think that making souped up Sony cameras will increase the payback, that is what they will do. No grumpy, old photographer in the world will be able to convince them otherwise. Particularly not photographers who may or may not buy a Hasselblad MF camera next year or the year after, if he has enough money and if the weather is nice that day.

And if the production of those MF cameras don't generate enough profit, they will close that production down. They have already shown what have value in their marketing: The Apollo project, Swedish traditions and Italian design. If that isn't enough to sell the Stellunar, I fear for the future of Hasselblad, at least under the current ownership.

pedro39photo

Maybe this overpriced Pimp cameras from Sony/Hasselblad are giving them the extra cash needed for the Research & Development department bring a new game changer camera....

A digital X Xpan or a H6D with Sony's Sensor RGBW Coding technology used on the D800.

Maybe in the future this bring Digital X-Pan made by Sony with a Hasselblad logo...this happened with the Fuji-Hassy for the great H series...

Lets chill out and have a great summer, in the end what really matter its the final pics...not the tools. ( its a lie, i love hassy....)

Pedro

Last edited:

Swissblad

I wonder that if we do see a digital XPAN, that it will be a Fuji and not HB product.
The X-100, X-1 series could pave the way for such a product.....

Swissblad

It's important to remember that people and institutions who invest in capital funds of the Ventizz type, do that for one reason and one reason only: To get a return on their investment. If they think that making souped up Sony cameras will increase the payback, that is what they will do. No grumpy, old photographer in the world will be able to convince them otherwise. Particularly not photographers who may or may not buy a Hasselblad MF camera next year or the year after, if he has enough money and if the weather is nice that day.

And if the production of those MF cameras don't generate enough profit, they will close that production down. They have already shown what have value in their marketing: The Apollo project, Swedish traditions and Italian design. If that isn't enough to sell the Stellunar, I fear for the future of Hasselblad, at least under the current ownership.
Thor - I agree with your assessment - but I wonder if we're not starting to
:dh2:

All I can add is thankfully there are still companies like ALPA (or even Leica) who think differently.