Site Sponsors
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Hasselbladish RX100

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hasselbladish RX100

Still no digital XPAN. I guess they think it is stellar.

The new Hasselblad Stellar camera leaked | Photo Rumors

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Hasselbladish RX100

Proving once again it takes more than an MBA degree to run a business...

Post Thanks / Like

Insane...
    But, if it makes them a profit...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Does everything Hasselblad makes qualify as "Medium Format Systems and Digital Backs?"

I know everyone loves bashing them, but what does it have to do with MF?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Amazing choice of names!

Post Thanks / Like

Sadly this news does have a lot to do with MF.
    The new mother company seems to be only interested in using the name short term for profit.
    I really don't see this ending well for them.
    (makes me sad to write this)
    am
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

How long before somebody makes a similar wooden grip for the RX100 and other cameras and sells it for 100 bucks or thereabouts?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hasselbladish RX100

splendid idea, Jorgen, let's make a design company .-)

Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post
    How long before somebody makes a similar wooden grip for the RX100 and other cameras and sells it for 100 bucks or thereabouts?
    *Hand-Made* Hard Red Wood Grip fit leica M9-P/M9/M8/M8.2 | eBay

Some people already had that idea and I have to admit, it's not even that ugly. It's certainly better looking than the grips Italblad came up with.

Post Thanks / Like

"The collaboration is also due to include 'products for the DSLR segment' (which could easily mean a camera based on Sony's 'SLT' semi-transparent mirror technology). Oddly the Stellar appears to be based on the existing RX100 model, rather than the recently-announced RX100 M2." dpr

sad, very very sad.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Look on the bright side, Hasselblad did not partner with Lomo...
    Will

http://www.hakusancreation.com
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_R View Post
    "Oddly the Stellar appears to be based on the existing RX100 model, rather than the recently-announced RX100 M2." dpr

sad, very very sad.
    Since the Mark II is a dramatic improvement, that makes the Stellar look even more absurd. One can buy a much better camera based on the same camera as Hasselblad base their model on for less than half the price. Difficult choice? Hardly

Post Thanks / Like

i can only think of AMG, an after market shop that started by creating body kits for the benz cars and later provided engine parts and at the end was purchased by Mercedes Benz. so hasselbald is in the body kit steps, eventually they will get under the hood and hope to be bought by sony!! remember u heard here first

Post Thanks / Like

If Sony buys Hasselblad and starts making medium format digital cameras based on the H1 platform but with their xmor CMOS sensor technology it's game for the rest.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by msadat View Post
    i can only think of AMG, an after market shop that started by creating body kits for the benz cars and later provided engine parts and at the end was purchased by Mercedes Benz. so hasselbald is in the body kit steps, eventually they will get under the hood and hope to be bought by sony!! remember u heard here first
    Ummm... there's a tiny little difference here:
    An AMG Mercedes always looked like an ordinary Mercedes but is much faster, both straight ahead and around the track. The Hassony looks dramatically different from the Sony, but does nothing to improve on performance. Rather the opposite actually, since both models released so far have been based on cameras that have been in production for a while and where newer cameras in the range often offer better value (NEX 6 and RX 100 II).
    Things I sell: https://www.shutterstock.com/g/epixx?language=en

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_R View Post
    If Sony buys Hasselblad and starts making medium format digital cameras based on the H1 platform but with their xmor CMOS sensor technology it's game for the rest.
    I have problems seeing why Sony would buy a company that seems to specialize in attaching various pieces of wood to their cameras to get access to a (probably) unprofitable camera developed by one of the few competitors that do not use Sony sensors (Fuji) and who's involvement in the H System we can only speculate about.

Post Thanks / Like

Shouldn't we just paste all the comments from the Lunar thread to save time?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nick-T View Post
    Shouldn't we just paste all the comments from the Lunar thread to save time?
    Why does this still bother you, making fun of H has been going on for years.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

omg, it actually got announced yesterday officially!
    price has not been published but as the leak said, it might be as high as 3200$

since those cameras are not MF related, maybe those posts are positioned better in the SONY sub forum?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hasselblad's creative writers have been working again:

"The Hasselblad Stellar redefines quality with its elegantly designed aluminium body and metal operation controls."

If there's a recently released camera that "redefines quality" within this segment, it's the Sony RX100 II. Hasselblad tries to get away with the fact that they deliver yesterday's dinner warmed up by talking about the nice packaging, but this is a camera after all. Scraping off the paint and attaching a piece of wood can hardly be defined as "redefining quality".

--

"ZEISS has helped document some of the most iconic moments in human history. When NASA astronauts landed on the Moon in 1969, unforgettable images from the harsh conditions of the lunar surface were captured with Hasselblad camera fitted with lenses by ZEISS.

The unique partnership between ZEISS and Hasselblad is one that stretches back over 50 years and we are proud to continue the tradition of supplying the very best optics on our cameras."

Strange then that the Lunar wasn't launched with the already available Zeiss lenses, particularly considering the fact that Hasselblad's CEO, Larry Hansen, worked for Zeiss for 26 years. 16 of CEO of those years, he was the CEO for Carl Zeiss Asia Pacific operations based in Japan.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

didnt that unique partnership ended with the introduction on the HC lenses?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

You mean the Fujinons? I'm getting increasingly curious about who has been doing what in the relationship between Hasselblad and Fuji. The lenses say both Fuji and Hasselblad, but who designed them and who builds them?

GX645AF Professional :

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

hasselblad never designed any lens to my knowledge, its just a camera maker
    just the other way around, zeiss never made a camera themselves, just lenses, the contax name was always leased to other companies like kyocera

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by drevil View Post
    hasselblad never designed any lens to my knowledge, its just a camera maker
    just the other way around, zeiss never made a camera themselves, just lenses, the contax name was always leased to other companies like kyocera
    FYI, the Contax 645 lenses, and all the N mount Zeiss lenses were made in Japan, as were many of the later CY mount Zeiss lenses. The manufacture was overseen by the Carl Zeiss institute in Japan but to my knowledge not actually made in a Zeiss factory. All of those lenses are marked "Made in Japan".

- Marc

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jecxz View Post
    Because much of the past years of "making fun" has been unwarranted and just plain in bad taste ... often supported by blatant miss-information or authoritative pronouncements that are simply not true. All that does is weaken the whole MFD category which doesn't need to be weakened in the face of other "format competition" and the still sluggish economy.

Nick is a really good guy, and has helped many photographers along the way ... he resists bashing other products and has insights into Hasselblad products gained from a close working relationship with them, as well as running his own photo business.

IMO, those that have persistently engaged in wholesale negative comments about Hasselblad as a whole, are just ignorant of what the products can and have done ... products still used by many really good photographers. Oddly, even when answered with proof, the basher will pop up again and post the same misinformed opinion as if it were fact. Frankly, that DOES get irritating.

Admittedly, the whole Lunar launch, and subsequent lunacy roll out, doesn't help matters ... I seriously doubt that any Hasselbald H system owner didn't wince when it all unfolded at Photokina.

- Marc

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

You mean the Fujinons? I'm getting increasingly curious about who has been doing what in the relationship between Hasselblad and Fuji. The lenses say both Fuji and Hasselblad, but who designed them and who builds them?

GX645AF Professional :
    Who cares?

All the H lenses are clearly marked Hasselblad and "Made in Japan". None of mine said Fuji on them. Of course the Fuji GX645 versions restricted to the Japanese market wouldn't say Hasselblad on them now would they?

Most all of the H system lenses are stellar (proper use of the word) ... and they continue to improve with optics like the HC 50-II, 150N, 120-II, HCD24 and HCD 35-90. If Fuji did the whole thing start to finish I couldn't care less, or if Hasselblad had technical input, I also couldn't care less. All that counts is the end result.

- Marc

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by fotografz View Post
    FYI, the Contax 645 lenses, and all the N mount Zeiss lenses were made in Japan, as were many of the later CY mount Zeiss lenses. The manufacture was overseen by the Carl Zeiss institute in Japan but to my knowledge not actually made in a Zeiss factory. All of those lenses are marked "Made in Japan".

- Marc
    i am aware of that! but the optical formula is from zeiss and there are also zeiss lenses made in germany, for a much higher price of course

Post Thanks / Like

Ok Marc, calm down, Nick knows who I am, you know who I am (we are friends on FB), and why I wrote that. For years I have defended Hasselblad too and it just doesn't stop. My comment to Nick was meant to communicate just that. He knows many of the detractors don't even use Hasselblad. You'll recall it first started with the H system being made from plastic; then when that wasn't true it was a closed system (like Canon, Nikon, Pentax, Leica aren't closed systems and mind you C1 didn't process H files for years or perhaps they still don't). Then it went to where the lenses were made, and so forth. For years David Grover would defend Hasselblad with little effect. It doesn't end and I was just asking the rhetorical question. Nothing more. Nonetheless, you are correct, we repeat the same cycle again and again year after year. I know this is your retirement, please tell me it's not what's in store for me. Be well.

Kind regards,
    Derek

Because much of the past years of "making fun" has been unwarranted and just plain in bad taste ... often supported by blatant miss-information or authoritative pronouncements that are simply not true. All that does is weaken the whole MFD category which doesn't need to be weakened in the face of other "format competition" and the still sluggish economy.

Nick is a really good guy, and has helped many photographers along the way ... he resists bashing other products and has insights into Hasselblad products gained from a close working relationship with them, as well as running his own photo business.

IMO, those that have persistently engaged in wholesale negative comments about Hasselblad as a whole, are just ignorant of what the products can and have done ... products still used by many really good photographers. Oddly, even when answered with proof, the basher will pop up again and post the same misinformed opinion as if it were fact. Frankly, that DOES get irritating.

Admittedly, the whole Lunar launch, and subsequent lunacy roll out, doesn't help matters ... I seriously doubt that any Hasselbald H system owner didn't wince when it all unfolded at Photokina.

- Marc

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Ok Marc, calm down, Nick knows who I am, you know who I am (we are friends on FB), and why I wrote that. For years I have defended Hasselblad too and it just doesn't stop. My comment to Nick was meant to communicate just that. He knows many of the detractors don't even use Hasselblad. You'll recall it first started with the H system being made from plastic; then when that wasn't true it was a closed system (like Canon, Nikon, Pentax, Leica aren't closed systems and mind you C1 didn't process H files for years or perhaps they still don't). Then it went to where the lenses were made, and so forth. For years David Grover would defend Hasselblad with little effect. It doesn't end and I was just asking the rhetorical question. Nothing more. Nonetheless, you are correct, we repeat the same cycle again and again year after year. I know this is your retirement, please tell me it's not what's in store for me. Be well.

Kind regards,
    Derek
    Better understood now ... however, I don't mind addressing some of the communications issues and persistent negative false info when it pops up ... even though I don't have my H4D/60 anymore.

If by "you hope I tell you it isn't what is in store you" ... all I can say is get back to me when you are almost 70 . I had a great run, and Hasselblad was a good part of that ... now I pick and choose what and for whom I shoot, and am enjoying working with my S2 ... still using some Hassey products on it to boot

- Marc

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Unfortunately, this is much more than making fun of a camera maker that has gone a bit over the top, like Leica has done on occasions. These new cameras are not based on Swedish traditions, they are in no way offsprings of the cameras used on the Apollo missions, they do not redefine quality in any significant way and the fact that one of them has a Zeiss lens is not based on Hasselblad's previous relationship with Zeiss, but on Sony's relationship with the same lens maker.

Sales arguments like these are commonly used by all kinds of manufacturers of crappy products. But Hasselblad wasn't a manufacturer of crappy products. Hasselblad was one of the most respected camera makers on the globe, a company that was trusted by at least two generations of photographers, professionals as well as amateurs, to deliver what they said they delivered: Some of the best cameras money could buy.

When a change in attitude like this appears, it's only fair to ask if this represents a general change of policies or if there are now two cultures within the organisation: One for professional customers and one for rich but ignorant people. Somehow, I doubt that two opposite cultures would survive for long under the same roof. The one that generates the most profit will usually win.

I had a long chat with a camera retailer in Bangkok today, one that among other things stocks cameras and lenses aimed at well healed customers, including an abundance of expensive Leica gear. He told me that Shriro, the previous owner of Hasselblad and distributor of the brand in many countries in Asia, approaches retailers with the Lunar. He told me that, then he shook his head an laughed.

If I had $7,000 to waste on photographic tools that I don't need, a brand new Rolleiflex TLR plus a NEX7 will cost around that sum. The Rolleiflex isn't based on German tradition of course, it is German tradition, and I doubt that any Italian designer will ever be allowed to bolt pieces of wood onto it
    Things I sell: https://www.shutterstock.com/g/epixx?language=en

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Unfortunately, this is much more than making fun of a camera maker that has gone a bit over the top, like Leica has done on occasions. These new cameras are not based on Swedish traditions, they are in no way offsprings of the cameras used on the Apollo missions, they do not redefine quality in any significant way and the fact that one of them has a Zeiss lens is not based on Hasselblad's previous relationship with Zeiss, but on Sony's relationship with the same lens maker.

Sales arguments like these are commonly used by all kinds of manufacturers of crappy products. But Hasselblad wasn't a manufacturer of crappy products. Hasselblad was one of the most respected camera makers on the globe, a company that was trusted by at least two generations of photographers, professionals as well as amateurs, to deliver what they said they delivered: Some of the best cameras money could buy.

When a change in attitude like this appears, it's only fair to ask if this represents a general change of policies or if there are now two cultures within the organisation: One for professional customers and one for rich but ignorant people. Somehow, I doubt that two opposite cultures would survive for long under the same roof. The one that generates the most profit will usually win.

I had a long chat with a camera retailer in Bangkok today, one that among other things stocks cameras and lenses aimed at well healed customers, including an abundance of expensive Leica gear. He told me that Shriro, the previous owner of Hasselblad and distributor of the brand in many countries in Asia, approaches retailers with the Lunar. He told me that, then he shook his head an laughed.

If I had $7,000 to waste on photographic tools that I don't need, a brand new Rolleiflex TLR plus a NEX7 will cost around that sum. The Rolleiflex isn't based on German tradition of course, it is German tradition, and I doubt that any Italian designer will ever be allowed to bolt pieces of wood onto it
    I doubt any pro or serious enthusiasts will argue against the notions you present. What I took exception to is the "years" of making fun, and all the misinformation or general ignorance of the brand's contributions with the H system. The Lunar isn't even 1 year old.

- Marc

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I doubt any pro or serious enthusiasts will argue against the notions you present. What I took exception to is the "years" of making fun, and all the misinformation or general ignorance of the brand's contributions with the H system. The Lunar isn't even 1 year old.

- Marc
    When Leica went through it's most scary "Herm鑣 Limited Edition" period, I was always of the opinion that, if people are willing to pay a lot for over-decorated cameras, why not? They were after all Leica cameras, and Leica cameras were good then too. This is of course something completely different. Still, I reserve the right to make fun of designs that look too silly. Hasselblad seems to aim for a 100% score in that department.

Post Thanks / Like

On a more serious note, do we know if "H" requested any internal changes to the Sony before slapping their "H" on it? I am thinking of technical differences for product differentiation such as: better firmware, better AF, tweaks to the sensor, etc.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Just in case anybody wonders what level Hasselblad is aiming at with the $7,000 Lunar, here's an album they have published on their FB page today:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...6644090&type=3

Not really Stellar if you ask me, but then my eyes are aging...

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

When Leica went through it's most scary "Herm鑣 Limited Edition" period, I was always of the opinion that, if people are willing to pay a lot for over-decorated cameras, why not? They were after all Leica cameras, and Leica cameras were good then too. This is of course something completely different. Still, I reserve the right to make fun of designs that look too silly. Hasselblad seems to aim for a 100% score in that department.
    Total agreement here. Evil forces have commandeered the company and the good name of Hasselblad. IMO.

- Marc

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

One certainly can't blame them for not trying. The Aston Martin is made from carbon fiber. The Lunar can have a carbon fiber grip. Must be as good as the car then. I wonder if the Aston has a Camry engine under the bonnet

Pity they couldn't move Mr. Reichman to mention the Lunar though

Hasselblad Lunar

Edit: Now I see. Aston Martin actually did that; the Cygnet, based on the Toyota IQ, continuously variable transmission and all.

And the comments from the car enthusiasts are not any kinder than ours about the Stellunar:

Has Aston Martin lost the plot? | My Car Heaven

Post Thanks / Like

- Marc
    I am sure that there are thousands and thousands of photographers who own
    medium format digital cameras, including Hasselblads, who would agree that the Lunar and these other rebadged Sony cameras coming out of Hasselblad are a joke. Notably, however, none of them have wasted their time making dozens and dozens of posts about it, throwing in for good measure a litany of falsehoods about the design and manufacture of the H system cameras and lenses. AFAIK, there is only one such individual, and he does not even own a medium format digital camera or back. What is he doing here?
    hcubell
    www.howardcubell.com

Post Thanks / Like

Hasselblad needs to stage a comeback. but maybe that would only happen after it hits rock bottom.

On the other hand, the Lunar and the Stellar probably cost them next to nothing to make especially they have some kind of rev share agreement with Sony that doesn't require a huge upfront payment. There are always idiots out there who will buy these stuff

Post Thanks / Like

The HC lenses are designed in Sweden (I know the designer). The shutters are also designed and built in Sweden. The lens are built in Japan by Fuji.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi,

One of my concerns is that it don't seem to have a viewfinder. Something in the lines of fuji x100s
    will not make me buy it but will have shown that people with actual interest in photography are influencing the decision making process.

Maybe it will sale, but the missing viewfinder spokes a lot to me.

Best regards,
    J. Duncan

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

All the H lenses are clearly marked Hasselblad and "Made in Japan". None of mine said Fuji on them. Of course the Fuji GX645 versions restricted to the Japanese market wouldn't say Hasselblad on them now would they?

- Marc
    Funnily enough, they did. They said both actually:

Even the Fuji camera had the Hasselblad Logo on both sides, and it said "Made in Sweden" at the bottom. That came as a surprise to me. Photos here:

【图】【数码后背套机】富士GX645+HC80/2.8+飞思P45【低价出售】【已售出】 ¥65000 93新 富士 大中*幅器材 广东- 二手摄影器材交易 - 蜂鸟论坛

That clarifies a few things, at least for me, but doesn't make Stellunar look less weird.

Post Thanks / Like

Better understood now ... however, I don't mind addressing some of the communications issues and persistent negative false info when it pops up ... even though I don't have my H4D/60 anymore.
    - Marc
    More evidence to my point, these false claims against Hasselblad products have been going on for so many years!

It is just so old a story now and quite frankly it will never end.

Here, even as far back as from 2008 (5 years ago), David Grover, from LuLu:

First Myth - "The H Cameras were / are made in Japan..."

Fuji had absolutely no involvement with the development of the H camera itself and actually joined the project two years after it started. They are of course a valued and extremely important partner for us, but their involvement stretches to the optical construction and some design of the lenses, the film cassettes and the optical construction of the viewfinder.

Lens design is very much a partnership between the two companies and we have our own designer, Per, based at the factory in G鰐eborg.

The optical design of the viewfinder also comes from Sweden.

The Lens shutter is also designed and manufactured in Sweden and holds a number of patents.

The production of H cameras has always been in G鰐eborg on a dedicated production line. The software in the H camera is 100% from Hasselblad.

The Fuji GX645 (A black Japan only version of the H1) was also made by Hasselblad and shipped to Japan.
    See this link: David Grover / Hasselblad A/s

I will add Hasselblad designed the HTS and holds the patents on it.

When is enough enough? I'll tell you Marc (and Nick-T if you even care what I have to say), when you get tired with people repeating the same nonsense and you want to do better things with your life.

Kind regards,
    Derek

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'm afraid Hasselblad can thank themselves for speculations around the origins of the H System. On the Hasselblad website, the history of the company, the man and the V System take up 8 pages. The only information lacking is what Victor Hasselblad had for breakfast. Likewise, the creative process around the Lunar has been described down to the tiniest wood grain. The only information about the creation of the H System is to be found on the last of the historical pages:

"In 2002, another revolutionary camera system was launched. This time is was a 6x4.5 medium format camera incorporating the latest in technological developments including autofocus and very advanced electronic chip control. It was designed with digital technology in mind and became an immediate success."

Of course that makes people think it's a Fuji.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by drevil View Post
    i am aware of that! but the optical formula is from zeiss and there are also zeiss lenses made in germany, for a much higher price of course
    There are no Contax 645 lenses made in Germany. No Contax N lenses made in Germany. Few CY lenses were continued as made in Germany except the Anniversary versions of the 50/1.2 and 85/1.2. None of the current adapted ZE/ZF Zeiss lenses are made in Germany ... Cosina manufactures them. So I guess by other people's standards these are Cosina lenses with a Zeiss logo, and are priced accordingly. Which is ridiculous of course.

- Marc

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jduncan View Post
    Hi,

One of my concerns is that it don't seem to have a viewfinder. Something in the lines of fuji x100s
    will not make me buy it but will have shown that people with actual interest in photography are influencing the decision making process.

Maybe it will sale, but the missing viewfinder spokes a lot to me.

Best regards,
    J. Duncan
    Cell phones don't have viewfinders either ... they are now the number one source for fast breaking journalistic coverage for news outlets. As the iPhone TV commercial says ... "More photos are taken with an iPhone than any other camera." People with money to burn are encasing their smart phones in bling and diamonds or designer emblazoned logos.

People that are targets for this sort of camera don't care if it has a viewfinder.

- Marc

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Says who?

You?

You know what everyone thinks?

You do not. No one knows what everyone thinks.

What I do know is that you are making a fool of yourself making fun of a camera company and its products over and over again. What hatred or mental issue do you suffer from? What needs are you lacking? Do you want attention? Are you lonely and need to talk to people? OK, if that's the case, I have a better understanding of what is driving your ad nauseum repetitive nonsense.

So you don't like the Lunar or the Stellar, ok, so what! I don't think anyone lives their lives based on your opinion of anything. This is a Medium Format forum, are you even a MF camera shooter?

I also know that the H system is the best complete MF system out there, period. When or IF P1 comes out with a body, then the H might have competition. But until then, the H system as a whole is the best there is, period. That's a very good accomplishment in my book. And a lot of people respect my opinion.

Kind regards,
    Derek
    The speculations about the origins of the H Series have been circulating as long as the existence of the system. I didn't invent it, but just launched a theory about how the lack of information on Hasselblad's website may have increased those speculations rather than eradicate them.

I have no idea what mental issues I suffer from. Maybe it's serious. Do you think I should see a shrink?

If I make fun of Hasselblad, it's because they make decisions and launch products that deserve being made fun of. But if you want to see higher temperatures, you should visit the Hasselblad discussions on other forums. My comments are rather civilised compared to many of them. But seriously, my most important reason for participating in this debate is that I see Hasselblad's marketing of these new cameras as unethical and extremely cynical. This is not what I have come to expect from one of the most respected brands in the camera industry.

I did not start this thread and I did not place it in the MF forum.

Yes, I am an MF shooter (GX680, film). Unfortunately, I have been more busy than I thought I would be and haven't used it as much as planned. I would have liked to be a Hasselblad owner, but with the only interesting current model for film shooters, at least long term, being expensive as well as complicated to buy (H4X), I'm out. The launch of the Lunar sealed that permanently.

I don't know what plans Ventizz Capital Fund IV L.P. has for Hasselblad, but the indications we have seen lately strongly suggests that they want to extract the brand name and logo for whatever it's worth.

When all that is said, I have made some mistakes during this debate, but I've also done some research, and learned something too. Hopefully, I'm not the only one.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'm afraid Hasselblad can thank themselves for speculations around the origins of the H System. On the Hasselblad website, the history of the company, the man and the V System take up 8 pages. The only information lacking is what Victor Hasselblad had for breakfast. Likewise, the creative process around the Lunar has been described down to the tiniest wood grain. The only information about the creation of the H System is to be found on the last of the historical pages:

"In 2002, another revolutionary camera system was launched. This time is was a 6x4.5 medium format camera incorporating the latest in technological developments including autofocus and very advanced electronic chip control. It was designed with digital technology in mind and became an immediate success."

Of course that makes people think it's a Fuji.
    No, we can thank you for the speculations around the origins and who makes what where ... because no one else asked or cares.

BTW, you are a crappy detective I must say. It took 2 minutes to find info about where the H is made.

The H-System is largely designed and manufactured by Hasselblad, with Fuji's involvement being limited to finalizing Hasselblad's lens designs and producing the glass for the lenses and viewfinders. Fuji was allowed under the agreement to sell the H1 under their name in Japan only - Source: Wikipedia (info that no one has corrected in 5 years if it is wrong).

The H cameras are clearly marked as made in Sweden, not Japan - source: my two eyes reading it on the camera plate.

"I was in Sweden this past September and a relative who lives in Goteborg called and arranged a tour of the manufacturing facilities where V series cameras were being assembled as well as the neat robotic facility for the H-1." Source: a p.net post on Hasselblad Factory tours.

"Hasselblad has announced its Danish and Swedish operations will now merge to be operated out of a single plant in Gothenburg. The world's premium medium format camera manufacturer is set to centralise its Danish and Swedish production and service functions in Gothenburg, Sweden". Source: Photo news report

G鰐eborg, Sweden: Visit to the legendary Hasselblad factory where renowned traditional and digital medium format cameras are built. - Source: THEREPORTAGE.COM (just after the merger with Imacon).

There are even pictures: TheReportage.com SWEDEN : HASSELBLAD'S FACTORY IN GOTEBORG

Still think it is a Fuji? ... and even if you do in the face of info to the contrary ... who cares? If it is all a lie, and Fuji does it all, I still say who cares? The stuff works

- Marc

Post Thanks / Like

Cell phones don't have viewfinders either ... they are now the number one source for fast breaking journalistic coverage for news outlets. As the iPhone TV commercial says ... "More photos are taken with an iPhone than any other camera." People with money to burn are encasing their smart phones in bling and diamonds or designer emblazoned logos.

People that are targets for this sort of camera don't care if it has a viewfinder.

- Marc
    Agree with you, but they don't get mad if they have a view finder.
    The fuji x100s are considered one of the best compact cameras on the same space.
    My concerns is that they simply did not see the need.

To add something, the lack of synergy remains a concern for me. That is just because I fail to see this cameras as a cash flow devices (no mass market appeal). But I may be wrong on that sense, I am not a marketeer.

Post Thanks / Like

No, we can thank you for the speculations around the origins and who makes what where ... because no one else asked or cares.

BTW, you are a crappy detective I must say. It took 2 minutes to find info about where the H is made.

The H-System is largely designed and manufactured by Hasselblad, with Fuji's involvement being limited to finalizing Hasselblad's lens designs and producing the glass for the lenses and viewfinders. Fuji was allowed under the agreement to sell the H1 under their name in Japan only - Source: Wikipedia (info that no one has corrected in 5 years if it is wrong).

The H cameras are clearly marked as made in Sweden, not Japan - source: my two eyes reading it on the camera plate.

"I was in Sweden this past September and a relative who lives in Goteborg called and arranged a tour of the manufacturing facilities where V series cameras were being assembled as well as the neat robotic facility for the H-1." Source: a p.net post on Hasselblad Factory tours.

"Hasselblad has announced its Danish and Swedish operations will now merge to be operated out of a single plant in Gothenburg. The world's premium medium format camera manufacturer is set to centralise its Danish and Swedish production and service functions in Gothenburg, Sweden". Source: Photo news report

G鰐eborg, Sweden: Visit to the legendary Hasselblad factory where renowned traditional and digital medium format cameras are built. - Source: THEREPORTAGE.COM (just after the merger with Imacon).

There are even pictures: TheReportage.com SWEDEN : HASSELBLAD'S FACTORY IN GOTEBORG

Still think it is a Fuji? ... and even if you do in the face of info to the contrary ... who cares? If it is all a lie, and Fuji does it all, I still say who cares? The stuff works

- Marc
    Totally agree, it's just FUD designed to hurt the company, a company that is seen as the enemy (or competency) by some people. The fact has been shown hundreds of times and after a while they are at it again.

The FUD part is plain, not only from the fact that is false, but also because the argument is empty: a form of elitist bulling.

Since when cameras made in Japan are not professional or bad quality ?

The actual professional world, for the most part, is moved by Japanese cameras, like Nikon and Canon, to a lesser extend Sony and Fuji.
    Most professionals that have European cameras have Japanese cameras too, with the medium format been use for different kind of work.

So what the point of the Hasselblad is a Fujinon again?

James