The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with MF images - ARCHIVED - FOR VIEWING ONLY

Status
Not open for further replies.

tashley

Subscriber Member
Re: Fun with MF images - Part 3

On the portrait, it feels to me like you are basically lighting the subject with a softbox on either side of the subject at very steep angles. I actually like this setup quite a bit when the person is in profile, not facing the camera, but when they're straight to camera, I feel it adds a certain sinister character that is probably not what you are going for. One of my favorite lights for your composition is a softbox directly behind camera and a little high... gives nice definition to cheekbones, leaves the sides of the face more in shadow which I feel gives the subject a more inviting character....

My .02
Thanks Chris, I'll give that a try. You are right in that when the sitter is not smiling the effect can be more towards sinister as below, so I'll give it a try. The lighting I was using seems best suited to shots where the sitter is expressing some character, second below!

View attachment 17853

View attachment 17854

Don Libby

Went out this afternoon chasing the light in Sedona and came away with these..

3-shot image layered in CS4 - follow the poles...

Ended up on a hill overlooking parts of Sedona and came away with this. The first image is the original - the second is a 100% crop.

All images shot with the WRS-1000,P45+ and 72mm lens. Going to redo the Church tomorrow with the 120 to see what the difference will be.

Don

As good as the P45+ is for 100% crops I'm beginning to go down that slipper road thinking what I could get with a P65 :eek:

kdphotography

.... I'm beginning to go down that slipper road thinking what I could get with a P65 :eek:
Well, hell, you might as well.....you already have the Cube so you've got a good platform ready for the P65+ already.....

I think you've been almost fully assimilated.....

:D

Dale Allyn

Well, hell, you might as well.....you already have the Cube so you've got a good platform ready for the P65+ already.....

I think you've been almost fully assimilated.....

:D
This is exactly why I don't have a Cube!! I can't afford a P65+!

The Cube is a gateway drug – not unlike GetDPI.

!!

JimCollum

small town of Pescadero, Ca. & Aptus 75s
2 churches in the town

Horseman SWDII, 35mm (stitched)

Horseman SWDII, 55mm (stitched)

thomas

As good as the P45+ is for 100% crops I'm beginning to go down that slipper road thinking what I could get with a P65 :eek:
Don, maybe I didn't get it right... but this capture is simlpy out of focus. As far as I can tell from the full view it has massive front focus. Don't you think so???

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor

As good as the P45+ is for 100% crops I'm beginning to go down that slipper road thinking what I could get with a P65

Guess I should not tell you Doug has one coming to the Grand Canyon.:D

J

jmvdigital

Don, maybe I didn't get it right... but this capture is simlpy out of focus. As far as I can tell from the full view it has massive front focus. Don't you think so???
Something does seem to be a be off with that crop. I have attached a 100% crop from my P30+, handheld.

jimban

Here's a shot from last week in Sequoia/Kings Cyn. A small meadow and Sequoias.

Shot with a P45, Mamiya AFD II AF 35mm @ f16 1sec. The second image is 100% crop from lower right corner.

jim

etrump

Here's a shot from last week in Sequoia/Kings Cyn. A small meadow and Sequoias.

Shot with a P45, Mamiya AFD II AF 35mm @ f16 1sec. The second image is 100% crop from lower right corner.

jim
Did you do any sharpening to this Jim?

jimban

Hi Ed-

Just the nominal preset when converting to tif from C1. No Adjustment other than crop in Photoshop.

jim

Don Libby

Okay I'll admit this wasn't the best image to show a 100% crop other than showing the detail that was available from such a very tiny portion of an image that was taken several miles away. Sharp? No not really. Does it give you an idea of what that tiny speck is in the original image - I think so. Remember this was taken with a 72mm lens. Sandy & I will be in the same area tomorrow and I plan on reshooting with the 120 just for the heck of it.

We went a little nuts today, started in Sedona going on a 3 mile "walk" to Secret Mountain and ended up driving to the South Rim and back all in one day.

Hope the explanation of the two images clear up any confusion.

Don

Status
Not open for further replies.