The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with MF images - ARCHIVED - FOR VIEWING ONLY

Status
Not open for further replies.

carstenw

Re: Fun with MF images - Part 3

Thanks Tim, that is my favorite too, of this set, although the third one also appeals.

thomas and Dave, strange! If I drag the image from this forum to my harddrive, it is the same as the original, but if viewed in Safari (4.0.2), it gets darker, even though it is in sRGB. Weird.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member

Same here too, looks the same in Safari 4.2...

My bigger issue is it seems all of them are a bit soft -- is that an effect you are processing to, or am I just not seeing right?

carstenw

I only see the softness in the third one, which was taken wide open with the Hasselblad 110mm f/2, and is focused slightly too far forward. My adapter doesn't go to infinity, something I have to remedy soon. The second one is not so sharp at 100%, but already at 50% it looks fine. The first one is razor-sharp even at full size, but f/8 doesn't carry the sharpness all the way from the top to the bottom. I focused at the top, where every pixel is sharp :)

I managed to leave home, on this our first trip with our baby daughter, without bringing my tripod, but these are taken at around 1/500s handheld, so that ought to be enough. I am not sure what I did wrong in the second one, which should have been sharp even at full size. Synapse blowout.

I decided to treat the whole trip as a test and learning phase for the back, which I got the Thursday before we left. Not having a tripod I couldn't pay the kind of attention to the images that I did with my film cemetary series, and anyway, with daughter and girlfriend waiting (im-)patiently for every shot, it wasn't really conducive to perfectionist manoevres.

I don't do any special sharpening, except during conversion to DNG, and I specifically don't do any sharpening after downsizing, so maybe that is it?

eleanorbrown

This was NOT meant to be a technically great or well thought out image for critical analysis....it was shot very quickly, hand held, in a local mountain market in a shaded produce stand, near our home in Colorado. Getting familiar with the P65+ and various settings. H2 with 65+, 80mm HC lens. Sensor Plus at ISO 800! Eleanor

Last edited:

Don Libby

This was NOT meant to be a technically great or well thought out image for critical analysis....it was shot very quickly, hand held, in a local mountain market in a shaded produce stand, near our home in Colorado. Getting familiar with the P65+ and various settings. H2 with 65+, 80mm HC lens. Sensor Plus at ISO 800! Eleanor
Great to hear you got the P65! Nice image btw

Don

eleanorbrown

thanks Don. I have to say, with some degree of humility, that the sensor plus is definitely a PLUS. I was doubtful that I would ever make use of this as I am notoriously anti grain for film and anti noise for digital capture....usually shooting at iso 50 or 100 max. Today at the farmers market I knew I needed higher iso to get these vegetables in the shade so I though, OK I'll switch to sensor plus at iso 800.... I can get a great 16X20 at 210 dpi. In this shot the glow and shine on the deep purple is clean and really magnificent in a print. Eleanor

Great to hear you got the P65! Nice image btw

Don

Don Libby

thanks Don. I have to say, with some degree of humility, that the sensor plus is definitely a PLUS. I was doubtful that I would ever make use of this as I am notoriously anti grain for film and anti noise for digital capture....usually shooting at iso 50 or 100 max. Today at the farmers market I knew I needed higher iso to get these vegetables in the shade so I though, OK I'll switch to sensor plus at iso 800.... I can get a great 16X20 at 210 dpi. In this shot the glow and shine on the deep purple is clean and really magnificent in a print. Eleanor
I'm hearing much the same thing from Ken - guess it's only a matter of time for me to bite the bullet....

Don

eleanorbrown

Fashion 9000 feet and above. Frisco, Colorado farmer's market. H2, P65+, 80mm HC lens, iso 50, hand held. Lots of detail here . processed in Capture One with pre sharpening #1. Eleanor

Last edited:

Hey Eleanor, your P65 came?! Nice! Got mine too and loving it. Had to put it straight to work so not much time to "play" yet.

-Chris

R

RHP

I would buy those onions!
What are your first impressions of the P65+?.......... waiting for mine.

Paratom

Carsten, I like all three but do like most the first one.
For my taste I wouldnt apply more sharpening- but I guess its really a mater of taste.

carstenw

Carsten, I like all three but do like most the first one.
For my taste I wouldnt apply more sharpening- but I guess its really a mater of taste.
Yeah, I don't get the whole sharpen-as-much-as-possible strategy. Even without reaching over-sharpening levels, I rarely prefer the sharpened results to the unsharpened results. I think I just like the relaxed look of a nicely focused, unsharpened image, even if the detail is slightly soft at 100%.

Having said that, two of the above three were not sharp, as spotted by Jack. I really need to not forget my tripod when using an ISO 50 camera :)

Here is the door of the lighthouse, and a crop of the lock. This is one of the things I was looking for in MF. In this case, the top of the metal plate is over-exposed, so please ignore that :)

View attachment 19346 View attachment 19347

KurtKamka

Subscriber Member

Interesting, Eleanor, how the sensor Dalsa sensor does have a different look to it. Really can't say if it is better or worse, just different.

Kurt

Status
Not open for further replies.