The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with MF images - ARCHIVED - FOR VIEWING ONLY

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Re: Fun with MF images, part 2: What are you shooting with that MF back?

Thanks Bob and Terry! And Terry, you know what shot of yours inspired me on these! LOLOLOLOL!!!

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member

PS: Wanted to add another point I think is really important for this back -- the raw processor!

Lightroom and ACR for whatever reason render exposures that are sometimes all over the place, often by as much as 2 stops -- while C1 on the same images is spot-on. I found other minor issues with color or fringing using LR/ACR too, so I have pretty much dedicated C1 as my converter of choice for my Phase files. The good news is I like C1's workflow!

Old news, but it may bear repeating: I think any MF shooter needs to test the different converters and find the best for their particular back -- just because one works on your files and you like the workflow, does not mean it will give you the most from your file.

FWIW,

LJL

PS: Wanted to add another point I think is really important for this back -- the raw processor!

Lightroom and ACR for whatever reason render exposures that are sometimes all over the place, often by as much as 2 stops -- while C1 on the same images is spot-on. I found other minor issues with color or fringing using LR/ACR too, so I have pretty much dedicated C1 as my converter of choice for my Phase files. The good news is I like C1's workflow!

Old news, but it may bear repeating: I think any MF shooter needs to test the different converters and find the best for their particular back -- just because one works on your files and you like the workflow, does not mean it will give you the most from your file.

FWIW,
:clap::clap::clap:

So glad that you brought this point out.....again! Cannot agree with you more. Although LR/ACR may be helpful in the workflow, they are not the finest tuned converters around, despite their widespread use. They are not bad, but they also tend to lull us into a convenient mediocrity (for lack of a better word, and I know that will draw flames.....sorry), when something more clumsy, like C1 or Phocus or others, actually do a much better job.

I think I feel a new wave of workflow rethinking coming on for many :bugeyes::thumbs:

LJ

Dale Allyn

FWIW,
I'll echo Jack and LJ here. It is abundantly clear to me that C-1 is the best first stop for Phase files. Unlike Jack, I do not like the C-1 workflow, or at least parts of it, and I miss some tools which are present in ACR (don't like LR either though, I normally use Bridge/ACR so you might understand why I don't care for the C-1 feel).

For me, ACR is indeed inconsistent in processing the P25+ files, and renders exposure and WB differently than does C-1. And, as I better learn the use of the tools available in C-1, I expect that the ones I miss from ACR (or the methods of their use) will be less important to me. Though I do wish that C-1 was not so mouse/slider dependent and allowed for more adjustments via tabs, arrow keys, shift + arrow keys, etc.

Something that I found interesting was that color temperature for the same file, set to "As Shot", is rendered to a different kelvin value in C-1 3.7.8 than it is in 4.1.1. Just a curiosity indicating tweaks of various subtleties in the new version.

Edit to add: I would expect that one would see an improvement to the results from ACR if the one did an ACR calibration for the back. I have not done this. I'm comfortable with the notion that C-1 has the edge for now.

Bob

Administrator
Staff member

OK, what to use for organization...
I agree that lightroom is the pits with the Phase files.
I am about to try something like a processing in C1 to dng or tif with output to a hot folder in lightroom.
Fasten your seat belts...
I wonder what lightroom will do with the pre-processed files...
-bob

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member

Some follow up. When I say I like C1 workflow, I am referring to 4.1 over 3.7.9 and am assuming 4 Pro will allow for some better customization of menus and presets. As of now, my LR library is history and I say good riddance. I had so many historical images that were not yet imported into it and I was so dreading the time required to get it all current, I kept defaulting back to my original storage structure anyway. So for me it's basically a blessing not to have to deal with it! LOLOLOL!

LJL

OK, what to use for organization...
I agree that lightroom is the pits with the Phase files.
I am about to try something like a processing in C1 to dng or tif with output to a hot folder in lightroom.
Fasten your seat belts...
I wonder what lightroom will do with the pre-processed files...
-bob
Well, if you were on a Mac, I would say Aperture could solve that problem. I routinely drag finished PSD files into it alongside the RAW shots just to catalog things and keep them organized. Aperture does not do anything with respect to processing, converting or adjusting things, unless I want to do that, and then it creates a version for me to work on. I would think LR would do the same, but honestly, I really have not used it since the first demo came out, so I know not what it does there. (Bridge/ACR can be configured to NOT open JPEGs and TIFFs in ACR, but it will open DNGs in ACR, as that is still considered a RAW file format that "needs" to be processed.) In Aperture, DNGs are treated as RAW files also, but you do not have to do any processing of them. Only issue that remains unclear is if it would handle the Phase files or not. I know it handles the TIFF files I bring in, but have not tried a DNG conversion from C1 or someplace else.

LJ

EH21

I've seen the fringes too on my p20 files in lightroom - they disappear when I open the file in C1. Actually C1-DB 3.78 is better than C1 4.1 in this regard at least in my experience. There are a few instances when I have preferred the LR conversions but only a handful in thousands of images.

FWIW,

KurtKamka

Subscriber Member

Too much talking and not enough images ... ;)

Kurt

David K

Workshop Member

Kurt, looks like you climbed a pole to take that shot. Very cool perspective.

bensonga

I'm really enjoying these images and learning alot from the comments, but I'm often left wondering "what camera, back, lens" etc.

Just a reminder of Guy's original request re the Fun with MF Images thread "...can we please put Camera , Back and Lens. It helps others see what lenses are doing and systems...." :salute:

Not all of us are fully up to speed on the equipment folks are using....and I know some of you have a closet full of gear to play with! :LOL:

Thanks!

Gary Benson
Eagle River, Alaska

jlm

Workshop Member

80mm f2.8, CFV, 205TCC Blad
part of a defunct seawater pump at the Navy Yard, hidden away in a derelict blockhouse

David K

Workshop Member

Jim, I really enjoy these industrial strength images of yours. It must be nice to have such a target rich environment to shoot.

T

thsinar

Where is this location, Jim?

I would love to have such nearby!

Thanks,
Thierry

Jim, I really enjoy these industrial strength images of yours. It must be nice to have such a target rich environment to shoot.

jlm

Workshop Member

http://www.brooklynnavyyard.org/bnydc.html

on the East river in Brooklyn right by the Manhattan bridge

I have had my shop here for almost 20 years so i have some pull and will probably contribute many images to their archives.

Fascinating place with a lot of old abandoned buildings. I am always amazed by the colors.

right now there is a 750ft great lakes freighter awaitng 130 tons of steel repair in the dry docks

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member

John, really great images! While it is nice to have a target-rich shooting environment, it still requires the artistic and technical skills to both see and make the images... You have done very well at both :thumbs:

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor

I sent a note to Terry this morning about going there after lunch on the 17th with everyone but not sure they would let us play around and shoot. Looks like a great place to shoot and John the images you have been shooting are awesome.

jlm

Workshop Member

jack, guy: thanks, i appreciate your comment. and thanks to you and Guy for making the forum a suitable venue for all of us
Guy: access is unfortunately limited, pm' me
jm

Status
Not open for further replies.