The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with MF images - ARCHIVED - FOR VIEWING ONLY

Status
Not open for further replies.

etrump

I just purchased the 45mm D, should be here later this week. I'm hoping for something sharper than the 55-110mm and 35mm film glass.

Anyone compared those and care to comment?

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I just purchased the 45mm D, should be here later this week. I'm hoping for something sharper than the 55-110mm and 35mm film glass.

Anyone compared those and care to comment?
If you get a good one, you will be quite pleased :)

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

I think the 35 mm is OK, but the weakest WA in the Phamiya line-up. Likewise I'm not terribly enamored of the 55-110.(I sold mine.) So the 45 D doesn't have to be that good to beat those two!

In fact I'm very pleased with mine, it's a class above the 35 mm, especially in contrast.

As Jack says, you will be quite pleased. DO let us know!

Bill

etrump

Smoky Mountain National Park

P1DF, P65+, 35mm

Notice fellow photographer trying to duck out of my shot. :) Easy clone but I like to tease him.

Nice one Ed. I try to get to the Smokies pretty often, but haven't had a chance in a while. Hopefully, I can make it in the next week or two.

etrump

Thanks Mark, I was with a couple of guys shooting Canon and the P65+ really shined in terms of color and dynamic range in less than ideal conditions. I also was fortunate to visit the White Oak Sink area which was recently opened. The wildflowers and conditions there were incredible. I would love to have enough time there to get ideal lighting conditions but this trip was a stop by kind of thing.

P65+, 35mm, Phase One DF body

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I think the 35 mm is OK, but the weakest WA in the Phamiya line-up. Likewise I'm not terribly enamored of the 55-110.(I sold mine.) So the 45 D doesn't have to be that good to beat those two!

In fact I'm very pleased with mine, it's a class above the 35 mm, especially in contrast.

Bill

I love my 45D hangs out quite a bit on the front end of my body.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Ed, great color and nice compositions!

I've been playing around with the 80 LS I just received. Have to admit that I like the look -- a lot. Here is a shot from yesterday, wide open and then converted to B&W in CS:

jlm

Workshop Member
last one, all underground in Brooklyn. and with the exception of the first, lit by a bare bulb, i couldn't even see inside my camera bag, counting out 4 sec B exposure

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
John, I love indoor, available light images from old factories and warehouses, and this is a great series! My favorite composition is #2 and I like the pastel colors in #4.

:thumbs:

jlm

Workshop Member
thanks jack, always good to get feedback

i am still amazed by what that back can pick up out of near darkness. way more than the eye. focus is tough. next time i ned to bring a tiny light so i can see the distance setting, but that will fight with my dark adaption. it took me 10 minutes before i could take a step down there. maybe a laser rangefinder and the distance scale

stuart and woody: thanks for your comments as well. i keep getting new inspiration from the navy yard, now leading me into these spooky interiors

Last edited:

etrump

Bill
Bill I would agree with you completely on the 35mm. It is the lens I love to hate but I always seem to get some of my best images with it. It is such a perfect focal length for the P65. I would love them to upgrade it to D quality and it would be a dream if they got Schneider to build them an LS version with the clarity and contrast of the XL glass I use on the cambo RS. That would make it tough to decide which body to put in the backpack.

My 55-110 must be a good copy but to be honest since I got the 75-150mm D I have quit using it. I need to get off my duff and test all my glass since I now shoot the P65 the demands on glass are incredible and really show the deficiencies. To be fair, we can't expect the 645 film glass to stand up to the 8x10 resolution of the P65...but I do anyway. :ROTFL:

IMO we are spoiled by the D glass, you can stop down with pretty decent results. With the old film class of lens you have to really stick to your guns on aperture to get usable results. At f/11 the 35mm seems acceptably sharp but at f/16 it just really starts to look muddled.

etrump

I love my 45D hangs out quite a bit on the front end of my body.
You guys are breaking my budget. Cube, Leveling Head, 45mm D, P65+.

Just stop it! :ROTFL:

Actually I just ordered the 45D, I am concerned that the 35mm is just not good enough to rely on for my trip to Antarctica this winter. I'll test it and compare to that and the 55-110mm to make sure it is worth the investment. (Although I already know what the result will be.)

Thanks for all the comments on the smoky images. The P65+ seems to have such a fantastic color rendition. Phase has continued to improve things in capture one with this fantastic sensor. Really amazing technology in my opinion. That larger you print the better things look.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I just installed my Epson 7900 printer and I can finally see what the hell I bought in print. Holy **** am i impressed. No joke this printer screams out how good these backs really are. You always knew it was the best quality but when you go to large prints OMG.

Status
Not open for further replies.