The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with MF images - ARCHIVED - FOR VIEWING ONLY

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimCollum

Re: Fun with MF images, part 2: What are you shooting with that MF back?

if you shift the horseman/35 about 10 mm each way, you basically overcome the crop. it takes my 40 x 40 mm sensor back to a 60 x 60 image. that would be about the same as a 21mm lens on a 35 mm camera
the images i took were shifted the full amount

so 36 x 48mm becomes 70 x 82mm (according to the horseman site)

i find that the corners may not have the sharpness of the middle frame, it's not something that you'd notice in a single or double page spread.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor

That means a 28mm on my back which equals 21mm FF 35mm. I love a 21mm focal length. The 35mm is about a 26mm with my Mamiya. So if i read this right Jim you picked up about one focal length with the 35mm shift to equal a 28mm which = 21mm with your 75S

Hmmm maybe I am wrong here. Been a really long day, you folks don't know what I did today it is was stupid . I cleaned my grout in my tiles today. That is 1100 square feet of grout that been a long 12 years of kids, parties and you name it. It was sand color when i bought the house it was almost black. Honestly i should have written a check. But i rented a floor polisher with a big circler brush than some serious chemicals, yes i like living the chemical way . Than i used a Shop Vac to vacum the junk than rinsed and repeated. Okay i need a new back. I am crawling to my office. Never again. LOL
TOO FREAKING OLD FOR THIS STUFF

Bob

Administrator
Staff member

Hey Guy,
Drop that bucket of chemicals and go shoot something.
-bob

Guy Mancuso

Too high from the chemicals. LOL

Bleach killed me off.

I have a real job today. LOL

David K

Workshop Member

that's what i am shooting with my mf digital back :)
c645, p25, bowens
Something haunting about this image... maybe the expression on the naked girl's face. Don't know, but I like it.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member

Here is another one from yesterday, Bob lining up his lighthouse shot:

bensonga

Jack & Bob.....I love the sunny California images! All that blue sky and sunshine. :thumbs: Our summer has been so cool, gray and gloomy here in southcentral Alaska this year....I'd be happy to have a few days of that "boring light"! I wish you could send it north a few thousand miles.

Gary Benson
Eagle River, Alaska
Where it is 50 degrees, socked in with low clouds and raining today (again!)

Don Libby

just fooling around and worked on this image. We were at the Lower Tonto Cliff Dwelling March this year. Mamiya AFD II P30+ 28mm lens 320@/8.

Besides I wanted to post somthing other than a for sale image:)

Enjoy

don

Dale Allyn

Nice, Don. I'm jealous of your 28mm lens. Are using much blending of multiple shots at differing focus points for your landscapes, or are you finding that diffraction isn't having too much of an effect at or near f/16? I find myself walking a very fine line with regard to getting enough DoF in landscapes and I'm not a fan combining files if I can avoid it. I'm still learning the geometry of the this format and adjusting my setups accordingly.

C

carbonmetrictree

I really love the look of the 28mm!

Does anyone know why it is so much more expensive than the rest of the lenses?

KurtKamka

Subscriber Member

Don does a great job with the 28mm. While opinions seem to vary across the net about the sharpness of the corners, it is a lens that I've been eyeing for awhile also. If only the lens was priced at 3K vs 5K, I bet that Mamiya would sell quite a bit more copies of the lens.

woodyspedden

Don does a great job with the 28mm. While opinions seem to vary across the net about the sharpness of the corners, it is a lens that I've been eyeing for awhile also. If only the lens was priced at 3K vs 5K, I bet that Mamiya would sell quite a bit more copies of the lens.
Kurt

I would be that when the new version of the Capture One Pro comes out there will be corrections for the corners. The Phocus software for the Hassy 28 does a great job with their 28mm lens.

Woody

Guy Mancuso

I really need a 28mm . The question is for me for my Alpa or for my Mamiya. I keep bouncing that around. I know the Alpa solution is better just a load of money for the Rodenstock 28mm HR

KurtKamka

Subscriber Member

Guy, I'll probably end up going the Mamiya 28 route. I need the wide, but I don't need the deliberate set-up something like the Alpa would provide. I'm all about maximizing usability whenever possible.

Guy Mancuso

I know the 28mm Mamiya actually gives me more use overall. Hard to find though

Don Libby

Nice, Don. I'm jealous of your 28mm lens. Are using much blending of multiple shots at differing focus points for your landscapes, or are you finding that diffraction isn't having too much of an effect at or near f/16? I find myself walking a very fine line with regard to getting enough DoF in landscapes and I'm not a fan combining files if I can avoid it. I'm still learning the geometry of the this format and adjusting my setups accordingly.
Hi Dale, first thanks for the kind words.

I use the 28 on a P30+ back thus there’s a little cropping going on so I really can’t comment on the corners. Every time I think I’d like to move up to the 45 (or dare I say the 65) I’m reminded of all the comments from users with full frame backs and the 28 and problems they’ve encountered with the corners. I’ve got a trip to Atlanta scheduled next fall and plan on camping out at Capture Integration to test several “items” while there; Sandy has no problem with this so long as she gets to hold my wallet.

Regarding images and PP; no mater the lens used I always look for the image within the image and very rarely use an image without some sort of cropping. The native image size of the 28 (even using the P30+ back) is simply huge and in most cases I wind up cropping ever so slightly. [I took a single image shot with the 28 and just for kicks cropped then made it into a 30x60 image and surprise – it worked great!]

I’ve had to do some blending when the sky I was shooting was just too difficult to capture; I think I’m beginning to do that more and more. I am doing a lot of masking in PP [BTW I use CS3 exclusively] and in some cases I have a heck of a lot of layers by the time I get through.

It sounds corny but the more I do this the more I find that I’m listening to the image as it tells me where to go and what to do…..

Hope this answers some of the questions. Again thank you for your comments.

don

Don Libby

I know the 28mm Mamiya actually gives me more use overall. Hard to find though
Guy – as expensive as the 28mm is wouldn’t still be a cheaper route to go and still achieve great images?

don

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member

Playing around with more processing --- if the light sucked, process it :ROTFL: --- here i went for an old-time, large format Polaroid look. Just having some fun:

Stuart Richardson

I love that tone Jack! How did you achieve that? It has a great platinum print look.

Don Libby

Playing around with more processing --- if the light sucked, process it :ROTFL: --- here i went for an old-time, large format Polaroid look. Just having some fun:
That's very nice!

don

Status
Not open for further replies.