The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with MF images - ARCHIVED - FOR VIEWING ONLY

Status
Not open for further replies.

jerome

Hi,

Back from Norway (it was a beautiful weather as you can see :) )

I really try to improve my photos edit by following example of what is done here. I must admitt I'm not at the level of the best posters here.

I wonder how to improve my skills !!! (even if prints are far better than jpg web versions ..)

H4D50 28 mm

Thierry

Nice image, Jerome

But I would try following:

- desaturate a bit the colours
- take out the lower right corner rocks from the image
- crop it a little more vertically, less water, in order to get about 1/3 - 2/3 ratio between lake and sky

But that is only one opinion.

Best
Thierry

Last edited:

jerome

Thanks Thierry !

Over saturation comes from PSP conversion from prophoto to "web" srvb (save for web ... option). Original photo is not that saturated, that's why I said my prints are far better. I don't know how to deal with this, the conversion kills almost all my photos in jpg :(

For the crop, you're right, keeping the stone was not a good idea (btw, I can't find how to change the image on the forum ...)

Jerome

mediumcool

Wonder what it would be like to darken the reflection slightly? I have never seen reflected water this bright and unruffled!

jerome

Wonder what it would be like to darken the reflection slightly? I have never seen reflected water this bright and unruffled!
Yes you're right ! it's not natural : I used a ND filter and pushed a bit with CS5 the reflection. It is amazing how much we can push a dark tone from a 50 ISO H4D50 file without any noise. I like the effect even if a bit surreal :)

BTW, the contrary is not so good (difficult to get all information from highlight tones), so now I underexpose always.

"unruffled" : I think you believe a trick from CS5. But no, that's how it is in Norway, when no wind blows in mountain lakes or at the ends of fjords. Just look at the edges of the mountains reflections or at the bank reflection, that's no so good :)

mediumcool

Yes you're right ! it's not natural : I used a ND filter and pushed a bit with CS5 the reflection.
Tsk tsk! :D

It is amazing how much we can push a dark tone from a 50 ISO H4D50 file without any noise. I like the effect even if a bit surreal :)
It’s the bit-depth; my Leaf back also has exceptional shadow detail with Capture One at 25 or 50. 8-, 12- or even 14-bit falls visibly short of 16-bit imaging.

BTW, the contrary is not so good (difficult to get all information from highlight tones), so now I underexpose always.
Yup, I think of it as digital Kodachrome! Expose for highlights.

"unruffled" : I think you believe a trick from CS5.
Nope! BTW, where’s the unruffle filter? ;)

But no, that's how it is in Norway, when no wind blows in mountain lakes or at the ends of fjords. Just look at the edges of the mountains reflections or at the bank reflection, that's no so good :)
Not many mountains and no fjords in South Australia! But we do have some nice spots.

faneuil

a bit schmaltzy.. but it is my son and his best friend out for an evening rowboat excursion in North Chatham Mass (on the Cape).
P65 and Mam AFD 80mm

Eric
www.korenman.com

BTW.. how do you all post large pictures directly into your posts? I'm using the 'attachment' tool but only get a thumbnail (as in this post)

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
BTW.. how do you all post large pictures directly into your posts? I'm using the 'attachment' tool but only get a thumbnail (as in this post)
I upload to the gallery and then copy the URL link to it from there into a photo URL within the message. (Icon with a mountain on it in the editor).

Status
Not open for further replies.