The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with MF images - ARCHIVED - FOR VIEWING ONLY

Status
Not open for further replies.

mediumcool

My first "product shot". My wife started pottery lessons in January and came home with her first teapot yesterday. Any suggestions for lighting etc. would be appreciated. I have a feeling she will be asking me to do a lot more of these in the future.

Tom

_IGP7625 by tsjanik47, on Flickr
I will start with this: I think this is pretty good for a first effort!

Firstly, an explanation/diagram of your lighting setup would help in evaluation/feedback.

However, without that, I think your lighting is probably too complicated and too direct.

3D objects are often best shot with top-backlight to reveal structure. Then various amounts of fill are used to bring up shadows or add shine to reflective surfaces.

I participated in a forum thread here about lighting products for a commercial job (which never came to pass). May be some interesting stuff there for you to digest.

Keep at it!

mediumcool

Forgot to mention the background; neutral and untextured is usually best, so it won’t compete with the work for attention.

Mid- to light grey works well, and ensures that the objects photographed don’t have spurious colour reflections.

Nathan W. Lediard

Some more from me... fun thread, and even though this is work for me, portraits are always FUN!
H4D-40 80mm at f2.8, iso 400 one ARRI 650 watt light high and behind.. no added reflector or fill, just the light bouncing off the wall lighting her face...

Don Libby

Alien Worlds...

As I continued to push the boundaries of what the camera/lens and I'm capable of doing, I've begun to notice some images taking on a surreal if not alien look. This will be the subject of an upcoming blog.

For now at least here's a couple images and welcome to my world!

Humming Bird DF/P65+ Metz Flash Mamiya 120mm f/11 1/125 ISO100

Face - DF/P65+ Metz Flash Mamiya 120mm f/11 1/125 ISO100

Redefining Gravity DF/P65+ Metz Flash Mamiya 120mm f/5.6 1/125 ISO100

Don

mediumcool

And now for something completely different …

My dog DB shown eyeing off Cleo the cat (she’s semi-wild, fed by my neighbour). DB’s fascinated by her, and wants to play, but she won’t have a bar of him. You can see that she has the sangfroid to snooze, but if he gets too close—WHAMMY!

M645AFD | Aptus22 | 210mm | iso200 | f5.6 @ 1/250 | HH

M645AFD | Aptus22 | 210mm | iso200 | f5.6 @ 1/250 | HH

mediumcool

Thank you Dick and mediumcool. I shall try your suggestions.
One more thing. The pot is leaning out to the left a bit; were you close to the pottery using a short-ish lens? Distortion is lessened if you are further away, and perspective is steeper. The effects of pointing the camera down (so that you can see the tops of the items being photographed) is thus minimised.

mediumcool

now now.. :) PI is job title.. Bob is the name.. ;) (and whoever giggles right away, b/c can name a series from where Bob comes as name for a girl - gets a cookie from a jar).
An ex-girlfriend (we still talk) used to be called “Bobbie”, short for Roberta …

Status
Not open for further replies.