The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with MF images - ARCHIVED - FOR VIEWING ONLY

Status
Not open for further replies.

danlindberg

Experimenting with "hand-tinted" slightly gothic look. H4D-50 and HCD28mm lens.

Any thoughts?

Quentin
Quentin, I like the 'look' very much for a select series of images. I could easily see a dozen large canvases of this style in an exhibition. Washed out and select colouring can be very attractive. Nice composition as well.

Now, you did write "any thoughts?" and if I may I would like to point something out that disturbs my eyes. I just want to make you aware that your blending between the sky and the layer under is obvious. I see in a splitsecond the darker top-end of the trees coming from the darkend sky-layer and the lighter haze on the edge of the tree to the right coming from the lighter layer. If you look at the three top spires the one highest in the middle is from the darker layer and the other two from the lighter layer.

Accept my apologies if it wasn't what you wanted to hear, but I really like the style AND your composition, so it was more a friendly pointer that it is visible.....

Quentin_Bargate

Quentin, I like the 'look' very much for a select series of images. I could easily see a dozen large canvases of this style in an exhibition. Washed out and select colouring can be very attractive. Nice composition as well.

Now, you did write "any thoughts?" and if I may I would like to point something out that disturbs my eyes. I just want to make you aware that your blending between the sky and the layer under is obvious. I see in a splitsecond the darker top-end of the trees coming from the darkend sky-layer and the lighter haze on the edge of the tree to the right coming from the lighter layer. If you look at the three top spires the one highest in the middle is from the darker layer and the other two from the lighter layer.

Accept my apologies if it wasn't what you wanted to hear, but I really like the style AND your composition, so it was more a friendly pointer that it is visible.....
Hi Dan

Many thanks, I notice that too but for present purposes I passed it over :D

There is quite a lot of processing and stuff involved and getting it all under control is tough!

I have a specific project in mind for this effect.

cheers
Quentin

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Halos in prints from film are very common - look at the two trees in the lower right foreground of Clearing Winter Storm (Adams' version, not Jack's!) - so I don't mind that. I'm a little troubled by the lovely unsaturated tint of the foreground against what looks like a completely untinted sky. Does it look too weird with a slight blue tint up top?

Very nice mood!

--Matt

Quentin_Bargate

Halos in prints from film are very common - look at the two trees in the lower right foreground of Clearing Winter Storm (Adams' version, not Jack's!) - so I don't mind that. I'm a little troubled by the lovely unsaturated tint of the foreground against what looks like a completely untinted sky. Does it look too weird with a slight blue tint up top?

Very nice mood!

--Matt
Hi Matt

I have tried it both with and without sky tint, and its 50:50 on the version I prefer. The problem is getting what needs to be the very subtle blue sky tint right is problematic, but I will persevere!

Thanks for the comments
Quentin

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Quentin,

Agreed! I have no idea what shade of blue would look right. If the sky were very light, it would seem easier. But I imagine the effect could turn cartoonish if you weren't careful, and the left building and the grass are so delicate...

Happy processing!

Matt

jlm

Workshop Member
what caught my eye is the WA distortion of the left side tower. The 28 is an amazing lens, but this kind of thing is it's limitation. you could avoid it with a longer FL and a stitch

ghoonk

Some recent work shot with the Hasselblad H4D-40 with a 50mm f3.5 HC lens, Metz 54-4i with SCA 3902 module on SCA 3008 TTL cord

Shots of the Marina Barrage in Singapore, shot with a Hasselblad 500CM with Leaf Aptus 54S and 80/2.8 CF lens

Shot of an art installation at Vivocity, Singapore, shot with a Hasselblad 500CM with Leaf Aptus 54S and 80/2.8 CF lens

And a tribute to Monet

djonesii

Workshop Member
Re: Fun with MF images been back in the studio ....

A bit nude, but no naughty bits ....

A different model less nude

P30+, 35mm on AFDII, under some daylight balanced florescent strobes.

C&C welcome ...

( PS to the mods ... If it's too much, drop a note and I'll replace image)

Dave

Nathan W. Lediard

My office today... sometimes working as a photographer has its benefits :)

18 shots from my Hd4-40 with the 50-110 at 110 334 million pixels :O

This small web pic does not do it justice... (sorry its so wide, but any smaller and the height would be tiny..)

tsjanik

I haven't had many chances for photos lately, but I found this in my back yard (along with many friends) 645D, 120 macro.

Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.