The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with MF images - ARCHIVED - FOR VIEWING ONLY

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jmvdigital

Re: Fun with MF images, part 2: What are you shooting with that MF back?

Andrew, wow! Fantatistic shot! Love the colors and the blur. Very unfortunate for those folks.

Paratom

Don,
Thank you for this answer. Great images!
Now do you feel that the P30+ gives you hust this one stop more ISO which you often need? I have no feeling yet for the ISO I would need because MF-DOF, mirror slap etc. are different compared to my other gear (M8 and D3).
All I know that the few times I have used the ZD I felt that 125 ISO (which is the highest I would want to use on this camera) is quit limiting for my way of photography.
Do you mostly use a tripod when you shoot landscapes.
Thanks again, Tom

I had seen Tom's post (#741) the day he posed his questions however work has interfered with posting my reply - sorry.

The main camera I use is medium format. Sandy and I went to Alaska earlier this year and took the MFDB, 2 35mm Canons as well as a P&S. The only time I picked up the 35mm (1Ds II) was when I wanted to shoot wildlife - bears and moose. I did do an experiment using the medium format and shot a couple of wildlife at the National Bison Refuge in MT with mixed results. My main camera I had with me was my Mamiya AFD II and P30+; I used that to shoot all my landscape, took it with me on an aerial of Denali as well as picking up "local color" of Homer AK.

I think I read and agree with the notion that I have enough "snapshots" and am concentrating on the really good images.

I've come to understand and that why I simply love the image quality that I can get from medium format it isn't suited for all images. I attempted to capture images of eagles at Anchor Point with disastrous results making be rely on the faster focusing and longer lens of the 1DsII.

2 Sisters Bakery: Took this for a good friend - 28mm hand held using available light.

My attempt at medium format wildlife - 300mm lens

Walking around right at sunset in a very small campground somewhere in ID - handheld 28mm.

Anchor Point eagle 1Ds III with a 300mm lens doubled - simply no way that medium format can compete with this.

So I guess my "go to" camera is medium format.

don

Paratom

Thanks Tom! I am glad you like it. I spent a long time on it (lots of masking work)...I don't know why...it was a really beautiful scene in real life.

Actually, I think I posted it a few weeks ago (I was lazy about developing the film), but I also shot it on MF digital. I had forgotten, so sorry for the double post. The MF digital version looked like this:
The film version looks quit different (I like it better), less DOF. Did you shoot at same f-stop?

Stuart Richardson

No, I did not. I did not really make an effort to. They were different cameras. The film one was the 203FE and 110/2, and the digital was the Hy6 with I believe the 80mm f/2.8. I would have to go and check the exif to be sure. But it was shot at a much smaller f stop.

Don Libby

Don,
Thank you for this answer. Great images!
Now do you feel that the P30+ gives you hust this one stop more ISO which you often need? I have no feeling yet for the ISO I would need because MF-DOF, mirror slap etc. are different compared to my other gear (M8 and D3).
All I know that the few times I have used the ZD I felt that 125 ISO (which is the highest I would want to use on this camera) is quit limiting for my way of photography.
Do you mostly use a tripod when you shoot landscapes.
Thanks again, Tom
Tom

This response will more of a random or shotgun approach so bear with me.

I would have to say that I use my tripod just about 100% of the time when shooting landscape for several reasons primarily it makes me slow down and visualize the image I want. (Here is where it gets a little crazy – I just made the switch to a TC and would say that my tripod usage will be 100% of the time and less whenever I find myself shooting with my older(?) Phase 645)

Regarding the P30+… I no longer have it. I loved the P30 for what I used to do and still believe that it is a great back for landscape photography and ranks right up there as “more bank for the buck”. The only issue I had with the back and I knew it going in was the ISO; I like to shoot as low as possible and it only allowed me to shoot at 100. I’d have to say that the majority of the time (99.99%) was spent at 100 and the rest no higher than 200 although I think I did no a “just for the hell of it” test at 800. I just don’t shoot at higher ISO’s. The entire reason I no longer have the P30+ is that I needed the P45+ in order to shoot with a TC which will now become my main landscape kit.

I hope I’ve answered some of your questions.

Bottom line is that depending on your type of photography the P30 or P30+ is an excellent digital back, one which you should seriously consider.

Best of luck

don

jlm

Workshop Member

shakeshuck: thanks for the info. i assume there are only a few dedicated backs that do this? sinar 54H comes to mind. any links for further reading?

routlaw

shakeshuck: thanks for the info. i assume there are only a few dedicated backs that do this? sinar 54H comes to mind. any links for further reading?
The 54H has been discontinued and the 75H replacing it, so if you look at the Sinar website you can at least obtain a modicum of info. Also Hasselblad has the 39 MS with info on their website. Some of their older models also did multi shot setups such as the V96 and 528c I believe.

Hope this helps.

Rob

C

carbonmetrictree

Thanks Justin, those fires were really intense even across the highway where we were allowed. I wished I could have gotten closer, a Sheriff caught me trying to walk around the security line and had all of their eyes on me after that point. Oh well, I'll rent a helicopter and a gyro the next time a fire comes up :D

irakly

yesterday i shot a small tribute to mr. warhol :)
c645/p25, 2.8/45

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member

Irakly, that's great! LOLOLOLOLOLOL!!! Love the model too. (However I fear our younger readers will miss the subtlety of the Warhol reference ;) )

Dale Allyn

I'm pretty sure Warhol didn't eat from the "pop-top" cans of Campbell's. :D

Fun idea.

Stuart Richardson

Nice work Irakly, I love the soup cans in the purse...

I did a photoshoot today out in the lava near town. I went with Halla, who is a biology student and amateur model whom I met through another photographer. Basically, I think she just likes dressing up in funny outfits. Anyway, she is very nice. She wanted to do a "sexy lab coat" shoot, so I suggested we try soil samples or something of the like. The light was not great today (well...it won't be until March, so make due with what you get)...just pure overcast. It was not very cold though, and there was no wind. Anyway, the photos are silly, but it was a lot of fun.
They are all taken with the Hy6 and 54LV. Just natural light...what little there was of it. Lenses were 40mm for the wide, 80mm 2.8 Xenotar for the mid, 110/2 for the full-body, and the 180/2.8 and 1.4x for the closeup. Heh, it was hard to walk around on the lava...I just changed lenses...
Here are a few samples:

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor

Actually great light for this type of shooting and some nice images.

KurtKamka

Subscriber Member

Lovely, Stuart ... especially the last shot.

Kurt

KurtKamka

Subscriber Member

Here's one from a holiday parade yesterday ...

Kurt

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member

Stuart:

I think the light is fantastic for that type shooting, and really like the last two images in the series!

Cheers,

Stuart Richardson

Thanks guys -- the light was nice in that it is like a huge softbox, but not as nice in that there is very little of it (most of the shoot was shot at ISO 25 (the 54LV I have says it's ISO50, but it is actually 25), and shot around f/2.8 to f/4 and 1/30th-1/60th...it is dimmer than it looks). I prefer a bit more directional light in general, but it is a quite flattering light.

Kurt -- I love that first one. What the heck is Ronald McDonald doing with those little girls?

Mitchell

My first posting of images here. From yesterday with my new Hy6. Great Camera!

Best,

Mitchell

Status
Not open for further replies.