Site Sponsors
Page 575 of 580 FirstFirst ... 75 475 525 565 573 574 575 576 577 ... LastLast
Results 28,701 to 28,750 of 28959

Thread: Fun with MF images

  1. #28701
    Member nameBrandon's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Location
    Chicago area, USA
    Posts
    163
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fun with MF images

    Let the banal continue.. I liked the contrasting light temperatures.

    Likes 11 Member(s) liked this post

  2. #28702
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    890
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    85

    Re: Fun with MF images

    Acadia shoreline - Acadia National Park, Maine
    X1D / XCD 30

    www.douglaswoodphotography.com
    Likes 19 Member(s) liked this post

  3. #28703
    Senior Member Joe Colson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    North Carolina, USA
    Posts
    2,484
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    36

    Re: Fun with MF images

    Quote Originally Posted by scho View Post
    Hi Joe,

    Sorry for the late reply but I missed this post earlier. I also have an old Hassy 503CW and since it does not have a built-in shutter lock (or does it and i'm out to lunch?) I wondered how you executed this shot with the CFV II. Did you attach a short locking cable release and put it in B mode to shoot with electronic shutter on the back or did you use the camera shutter and attach a flash sync cable? Still contemplating getting back into MF again and the CFV II ticked a few boxes (could use with the 503 and V lenses or with my Cambo Actus and many other lenses that I have or invest in new X lenses and the 907x), but also could be a very slippery slope into a Dante snake pit.

    Thanks,
    Carl
    Carl, I apologize. I just saw your question. I don't exactly remember how I accomplished the shot and it took me about 30 minutes when I first attached the MFDB to the 503CW to figure it out. I didn't use a flash sync cable. I opened the lens and used electronic shutter. As long as you account for the limitations of using electronic shutter, you're golden. Welcome to Dante's inferno.

    Joe
    _________________________________
    Joe Colson Photography
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

  4. #28704
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    581
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fun with MF images

    Crocosmia

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2020-07-12 14-58-45 (C,Smoothing2)_sq_20x20-FrameShop.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	544.6 KB 
ID:	150463

    WRS1250 | IQ3100 | Zeiss 120/5.6 S-Planar | f/5.6 | 15-image focus stack

    Our garden is currently a riot of colors. The brilliant orange flowers and interesting shape of these plants caught my eye as I was walking around outside the house over the weekend. Another installment in what's turned into my Pandemic Floral Portraits series...

    John
    Likes 21 Member(s) liked this post

  5. #28705
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    4,136
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: Fun with MF images

    Hi. I have a quick question for this forum. Normally I only post one, maybe two images in a single posting. This July 4th in the Nations Capitol (Wash. D.C.), I captured a number of images (all medium format digital) of the National fireworks and also the military aerial show pre festivities. I have approx 10 images to post and wondered if I should post here or start a separate thread. In the past for these July 4th firework images, I posted 2-3 in this forum (Fun with MF images). I'll await and abide on whatever most suggest.

    Thanks!

    Dave (D&A)
    Last edited by D&A; 4 Weeks Ago at 18:16.

  6. #28706
    Member nameBrandon's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Location
    Chicago area, USA
    Posts
    163
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fun with MF images

    Quote Originally Posted by jng View Post
    Crocosmia

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2020-07-12 14-58-45 (C,Smoothing2)_sq_20x20-FrameShop.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	544.6 KB 
ID:	150463

    WRS1250 | IQ3100 | Zeiss 120/5.6 S-Planar | f/5.6 | 15-image focus stack

    Our garden is currently a riot of colors. The brilliant orange flowers and interesting shape of these plants caught my eye as I was walking around outside the house over the weekend. Another installment in what's turned into my Pandemic Floral Portraits series...

    John
    What program are you using to focus stack? There must be more skill to it than just loading some images in the program, because I'm not getting results I'm in love with. I haven't tried anything besides helicon though. You're not doing this manually with layers / masks in PS are you?
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  7. #28707
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    581
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fun with MF images

    Hi Brandon,

    I've been using Helicon to do my stacking. It's probably worth experimenting with their different methods (A, B or C). I'm not exactly sure what goes on under the hood but rather just stick with what's been working for these kinds of subjects, which in this case is method C. Trickier subjects sometimes require a bit of retouching in Helicon. The increment in focus steps is generally a few degrees rotation of the focusing helical or a few rotations of the macro rail screw - all very scientific (not!). The closer in I am to the subject, the finer the step. I recently started shooting wide open to minimize the effects of diffraction. Hope this helps.

    John
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  8. #28708
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Shashin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Missouri, USA
    Posts
    5,808
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    150

    Re: Fun with MF images

    Quote Originally Posted by D&A View Post
    Hi. I have a quick question for this forum. Normally I only post one, maybe two images in a single posting. This July 4th in the Nations Capitol (Wash. D.C.), I captured a number of images (all medium format digital) of the National fireworks and also the military aerial show pre festivities. I have approx 10 images to post and wondered if I should post here or start a separate thread. In the past for these holiday images, I posted 2-3 in this forum. I'll await and abide on whatever most suggest.

    Thanks!

    Dave (D&A)
    Personally Dave, I am very happy for you to post them here and add your fine work to this wonderful collection. Whether you post them in groups or singularly is your call. A few member post in multiples. Looking forward to seeing your work.
    Will

    http://www.hakusancreation.com
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

  9. #28709
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    W. NY, close to Toronto, far from NYC
    Posts
    1,667
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    17

    Re: Fun with MF images

    Quote Originally Posted by D&A View Post
    Hi. I have a quick question for this forum. Normally I only post one, maybe two images in a single posting. This July 4th in the Nations Capitol (Wash. D.C.), I captured a number of images (all medium format digital) of the National fireworks and also the military aerial show pre festivities. I have approx 10 images to post and wondered if I should post here or start a separate thread. In the past for these July 4th firework images, I posted 2-3 in this forum (Fun with MF images). I'll await and abide on whatever most suggest.

    Thanks!

    Dave (D&A)
    My suggestion is to post them all.
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

  10. #28710
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    W. NY, close to Toronto, far from NYC
    Posts
    1,667
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    17

    Re: Fun with MF images

    Quote Originally Posted by jng View Post
    Crocosmia

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2020-07-12 14-58-45 (C,Smoothing2)_sq_20x20-FrameShop.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	544.6 KB 
ID:	150463

    WRS1250 | IQ3100 | Zeiss 120/5.6 S-Planar | f/5.6 | 15-image focus stack

    Our garden is currently a riot of colors. The brilliant orange flowers and interesting shape of these plants caught my eye as I was walking around outside the house over the weekend. Another installment in what's turned into my Pandemic Floral Portraits series...

    John
    Very nice. A lovely flower. I have some I inherited from my mother; the species is clearly the same as yours, but the habit is slightly different
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  11. #28711
    Senior Member Ed Hurst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    1,549
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fun with MF images

    Mona Vale headland, shot from Warriewood Beach

    Pentax 645Z with 150mm FA lens

    [IMG]IMGP4612_Step4sRGBSMALL by Ed Hurst, on Flickr[/IMG]
    Ed Hurst, www.spiffingpics.com
    Likes 16 Member(s) liked this post

  12. #28712
    Senior Member Ed Hurst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    1,549
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fun with MF images

    Moonrise at Turimetta beach (it was during this shoot, back in May, that the shutter died on my camera)

    Pentax 645Z with 55mm DFA lens.

    [IMG]Turimetta moonrise by Ed Hurst, on Flickr[/IMG]
    Ed Hurst, www.spiffingpics.com
    Likes 22 Member(s) liked this post

  13. #28713
    Member ASTeamwork's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    London
    Posts
    59
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fun with MF images

    Two Tree Island, Essex UK.

    Hasselblad 501CM, 50mm CF and P65+

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CF077640.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	243.3 KB 
ID:	150473

    Name:  CF077642.jpg
Views: 581
Size:  780.9 KB

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CF077651.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	190.5 KB 
ID:	150475

  14. #28714
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    West Yorkshire,United Kingdom
    Posts
    355
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fun with MF images

    Quote Originally Posted by D&A View Post
    Hi. I have a quick question for this forum. Normally I only post one, maybe two images in a single posting. This July 4th in the Nations Capitol (Wash. D.C.), I captured a number of images (all medium format digital) of the National fireworks and also the military aerial show pre festivities. I have approx 10 images to post and wondered if I should post here or start a separate thread. In the past for these July 4th firework images, I posted 2-3 in this forum (Fun with MF images). I'll await and abide on whatever most suggest.

    Thanks!

    Dave (D&A)
    Looking forward to see them. Post them all or split into 5 per thread.
    I think admins should consider a new topic thread titled something like "Special Occasions", to showcase fireworks,London Marathon,New Year celebs,classic car shows ....and the list goes on.
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

  15. #28715
    Senior Member AlanS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,980
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fun with MF images

    Teesdale...



    Regards, Alan.
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/
    Likes 12 Member(s) liked this post

  16. #28716
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    4,136
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: Fun with MF images

    I appreciate all the responses with regards to my posting a large number of images in a single post, taken on July 4th Independence Day 2020 (except for one additional image).

    Background: Normally little has to be said of Independence Day celebrations, especially in our Nation's Capital except this year things were quite different due to the precautions of the ongoing Covid Virus pandemic. Although the number of Covid infections in this greater metropolitan region has somewhat leveled off and has been in a relative steady state for approx a month, we see that this can quickly change, especially when large gatherings take place. With this in mind, there appeared to be two competitive forces at work this day. Without getting into politics, on one hand, the display planned by the federal gov't for the general public included a sizeable military aerial show (which rarely if ever performed on July 4th) followed by a far larger and expanded fireworks show. On the other hand, the local D.C. gov't discouraged having these celebrations this year due to health concerns and knowing of the tremendous size gatherings in previous years numbering into the millions. Many in the general public were conflicted in not knowing what to expect or if they should go.

    I decided to cycle approx. 25 miles to a somewhat remote location with a heavy fully loaded photo backpack/tripod, just to be safe. As it turns out (and it was too late once I found out in order to relocate)...most of the previous years very heavily populated areas (wall to wall people) were apparently sparsely attended or at most having a modicum number of individuals. As a consequence, photographic angles and opportunities were limited. Interestingly, those on varying sized boats on the Potomac River in front of the Nat'l monuments, was the most densely populated environs on the waterways for July 4th I've ever seen and appeared to be quite different with regards to social distancing.

    I may be posting too many repetitive or mundane images (some without reference to geographic location), and for that my sincere appologies in advance. It's simply posted to provide a bit of flavor to the end of day aerial display and rising full moon just prior and during the fireworks display.

    All images taken with the Pentax 645Z (except the 2nd posted image...the Washington Monument with Blue Angels fly-by, which was taken with the Nikon Df).

    Dave (D&A)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_IMG0089 for web.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	166.1 KB 
ID:	150476   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_DSC7196 for web.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	322.4 KB 
ID:	150477   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_IMG2265 for web.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	150.5 KB 
ID:	150478   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_IMG2234c for web.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	192.3 KB 
ID:	150479   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_IMG1966 for web.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	132.3 KB 
ID:	150480  

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_IMG2482 for web.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	404.6 KB 
ID:	150482   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_IMG2423a for web.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	449.5 KB 
ID:	150483   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_IMG2793 for web.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	496.4 KB 
ID:	150484  
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by D&A; 4 Weeks Ago at 06:19.
    Thanks 3 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 20 Member(s) liked this post

  17. #28717
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    4,136
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: Fun with MF images

    (continued)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_IMG2405 for web.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	322.9 KB 
ID:	150487  
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 22 Member(s) liked this post

  18. #28718
    Member nameBrandon's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Location
    Chicago area, USA
    Posts
    163
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fun with MF images

    Great set, Dave! I like 2 and 8 the best.

    A little disorienting, but a very cool capture of the Angels inverted.
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

  19. #28719
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Bill Caulfeild-Browne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Saugeen Peninsula, Ontario
    Posts
    2,890
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    381

    Re: Fun with MF images

    Another from the Namib desert. XF/150/80mm

    Bill CB

    www.billcaulfeild-browne.ca
    Likes 21 Member(s) liked this post

  20. #28720
    Senior Member dave.gt's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Atlanta, USA
    Posts
    2,196
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    109

    Re: Fun with MF images

    Quote Originally Posted by D&A View Post
    I appreciate all the responses with regards to my posting a large number of images in a single post, taken on July 4th Independence Day 2020 (except for one additional image).

    Background: Normally little has to be said of Independence Day celebrations, especially in our Nation's Capital except this year things were quite different due to the precautions of the ongoing Covid Virus pandemic. Although the number of Covid infections in this greater metropolitan region has somewhat leveled off and has been in a relative steady state for approx a month, we see that this can quickly change, especially when large gatherings take place. With this in mind, there appeared to be two competitive forces at work this day. Without getting into politics, on one hand, the display planned by the federal gov't for the general public included a sizeable military aerial show (which rarely if ever performed on July 4th) followed by a far larger and expanded fireworks show. On the other hand, the local D.C. gov't discouraged having these celebrations this year due to health concerns and knowing of the tremendous size gatherings in previous years numbering into the millions. Many in the general public were conflicted in not knowing what to expect or if they should go.

    I decided to cycle approx. 25 miles to a somewhat remote location with a heavy fully loaded photo backpack/tripod, just to be safe. As it turns out (and it was too late once I found out in order to relocate)...most of the previous years very heavily populated areas (wall to wall people) were apparently sparsely attended or at most having a modicum number of individuals. As a consequence, photographic angles and opportunities were limited. Interestingly, those on varying sized boats on the Potomac River in front of the Nat'l monuments, was the most densely populated environs on the waterways for July 4th I've ever seen and appeared to be quite different with regards to social distancing.

    I may be posting too many repetitive or mundane images (some without reference to geographic location), and for that my sincere appologies in advance. It's simply posted to provide a bit of flavor to the end of day aerial display and rising full moon just prior and during the fireworks display.

    All images taken with the Pentax 645Z (except the 2nd posted image...the Washington Monument with Blue Angels fly-by, which was taken with the Nikon Df).

    Dave (D&A)
    Beautiful work, Dave! And cycling to a remote spot!

    I have mixed feelings these days so I don't really give a crap about holidays, politics, etc... or whatever else . Life is so screwed up lately everywhere you look. However, your commitment and follow-through with gorgeous images of an important event in normal times is amazing.

    I am hopeful that we, as photographers can take your lead and make s difference in these times. Thank you for sharing your thoughts, your story and your images with us!!!
    Last edited by dave.gt; 4 Weeks Ago at 10:54.
    Dave (GT)
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

  21. #28721
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Illinois, USA
    Posts
    312
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fun with MF images

    This is a time composite version of my photo of Comet NEOWISE from Sunday evening. The sky and comet are a single frame. There were also a lot of lightning bugs flying over the bean field so I also shot a number of frames to capture their lights. The final image is a combination of a half dozen lightning bug frames plus the comet, all without moving the camera.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IQ4 150MP-P0012265-Jul 13 2020-C1-20 1.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	766.3 KB 
ID:	150489  
    Likes 15 Member(s) liked this post

  22. #28722
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    4,136
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: Fun with MF images

    Comment #1.....Dave (GT) Wrote -----> "Beautiful work, Dave! And cycling to a remote spot!

    I have mixed feelings these days so I don't really give a crap about holidays, politics, etc... or whatever else . Life is so screwed up lately everywhere you look. However, your commitment and follow-through with gorgeous images of an important event in normal times is amazing.

    I am hopeful that we, as photographers can take your lead and make s difference in these times. Thank you for sharing your thoughts, story images with us!!!"<-----

    Dave, for now, today's world is a very different place than it was 6 months ago, and many feel as you do. I believe though we should keep in mind that most generations regardless where one is from, has probably experienced some life altering event that transformed their daily life. I referring to catastrophes like wars, famine, genocide and also devastating natural occurring events like tsunami's, earthquakes, pandemics etc. somehow people find a way to survive and to work together for the common good of moving forward in order make a better life. Its not easy and along the way is filled with minefields and I don't have the answers but its much better to think positively and do the things you enjoy to the best of ones ability during times of hardships. I know, easier said than done. You kind words, for me is very meaningful, thank you.

    Comment #2 *** CORRECTION***....Brandon, apparently you are correct. I've been informed by a forum member that in the image your referenced, these are the Blue Angels. I originally thought they might have been the Thunderbirds. Not shown were the nearby America flag draped parachutists barreling towards the ground. Thanks for your kind feedback, greatly appreciated.

    Dave (D&A)
    Last edited by D&A; 4 Weeks Ago at 17:31.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  23. #28723
    Senior Member dave.gt's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Atlanta, USA
    Posts
    2,196
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    109

    Re: Fun with MF images

    Quote Originally Posted by D&A View Post
    Comment #1.....Dave (GT) Wrote -----> "Beautiful work, Dave! And cycling to a remote spot!

    I have mixed feelings these days so I don't really give a crap about holidays, politics, etc... or whatever else . Life is so screwed up lately everywhere you look. However, your commitment and follow-through with gorgeous images of an important event in normal times is amazing.

    I am hopeful that we, as photographers can take your lead and make s difference in these times. Thank you for sharing your thoughts, story images with us!!!"<-----

    Dave, for now, today's world is a very different place than it was 6 months ago, and many feel as you do. I believe though we should keep in mind that most generations regardless where one is from, has probably experienced some life altering event that transformed their daily life. I referring to catastrophes like wars, famine, genocide and also devastating natural occurring events like tsunami's, earthquakes, pandemics etc. somehow people find a way to survive and to work together for the common good of moving forward in order make a better life. Its not easy and along the way is filled with minefields and I don't have the answers but its much better to think positively and do the things you enjoy to the best of ones ability during times of hardships. I know, easier said than done. You kind words, for me is very meaningful, thank you.

    Comment #2....Brandon, I am furthest from being an aviation buff or expert but I believe those planes in the image where they appear inverted is not the Blue Angels. Possibly/maybe the Thunderbirds who also flew by with nearby America flag draped parachutists barreling towards the ground (not shown). Thanks for your kind feedback, greatly appreciated.

    Dave (D&A)
    Hey, Dave!

    If we lived closer, I would hire you to guide me through some fireworks shoots!

    That would be a hoot!

    Be well!
    Dave (GT)
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

  24. #28724
    Member nameBrandon's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Location
    Chicago area, USA
    Posts
    163
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fun with MF images

    Didn't get far with the 907x / CFV II 50c today, just in the backyard. XCD 30mm.

    Likes 12 Member(s) liked this post

  25. #28725
    Senior Member Ed Hurst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    1,549
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fun with MF images

    Quote Originally Posted by D&A View Post
    I appreciate all the responses with regards to my posting a large number of images in a single post, taken on July 4th Independence Day 2020 (except for one additional image).

    Background: Normally little has to be said of Independence Day celebrations, especially in our Nation's Capital except this year things were quite different due to the precautions of the ongoing Covid Virus pandemic. Although the number of Covid infections in this greater metropolitan region has somewhat leveled off and has been in a relative steady state for approx a month, we see that this can quickly change, especially when large gatherings take place. With this in mind, there appeared to be two competitive forces at work this day. Without getting into politics, on one hand, the display planned by the federal gov't for the general public included a sizeable military aerial show (which rarely if ever performed on July 4th) followed by a far larger and expanded fireworks show. On the other hand, the local D.C. gov't discouraged having these celebrations this year due to health concerns and knowing of the tremendous size gatherings in previous years numbering into the millions. Many in the general public were conflicted in not knowing what to expect or if they should go.

    I decided to cycle approx. 25 miles to a somewhat remote location with a heavy fully loaded photo backpack/tripod, just to be safe. As it turns out (and it was too late once I found out in order to relocate)...most of the previous years very heavily populated areas (wall to wall people) were apparently sparsely attended or at most having a modicum number of individuals. As a consequence, photographic angles and opportunities were limited. Interestingly, those on varying sized boats on the Potomac River in front of the Nat'l monuments, was the most densely populated environs on the waterways for July 4th I've ever seen and appeared to be quite different with regards to social distancing.

    I may be posting too many repetitive or mundane images (some without reference to geographic location), and for that my sincere appologies in advance. It's simply posted to provide a bit of flavor to the end of day aerial display and rising full moon just prior and during the fireworks display.

    All images taken with the Pentax 645Z (except the 2nd posted image...the Washington Monument with Blue Angels fly-by, which was taken with the Nikon Df).

    Dave (D&A)
    Dave - LOVE this work. Amazing! Very jealous :-)
    Ed Hurst, www.spiffingpics.com
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

  26. #28726
    Senior Member Ed Hurst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    1,549
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fun with MF images

    Quote Originally Posted by nameBrandon View Post
    Didn't get far with the 907x / CFV II 50c today, just in the backyard. XCD 30mm.

    The mood and aesthetics of your shots are beguiling - very inspiring!
    Ed Hurst, www.spiffingpics.com
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  27. #28727
    Senior Member Ed Hurst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    1,549
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fun with MF images

    Pumping waves in Sydney today. View towards Long Reef from Dee Why.

    Pentax 645Z with 6x7 300mm f4EDIF lens.

    [IMG]IMGP4688_Step5sRGBSMALL by Ed Hurst, on Flickr[/IMG]
    Ed Hurst, www.spiffingpics.com
    Likes 19 Member(s) liked this post

  28. #28728
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    4,136
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: Fun with MF images

    Quote Originally Posted by Ed Hurst View Post
    Dave - LOVE this work. Amazing! Very jealous :-)
    Ed that is so very very kind of you to say and I'm especially appreciative and humbled that it's coming from you. Of course you have nothing to be jealous of as I and everyone here is in awe of the work you have graciously posted over the years and continue to do so. There is also a lot to learn from those imaginative captures. Thanks ever so much.

    Dave (D&A)
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

  29. #28729
    Senior Member AlanS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,980
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fun with MF images

    Teesdale...



    Regards, Alan.
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/
    Likes 20 Member(s) liked this post

  30. #28730
    Member ASTeamwork's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    London
    Posts
    59
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fun with MF images

    Two Tree Island, Essex UK.

    Hasselblad 501CM, 50mm CF and P65+


    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CF077635.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	368.7 KB 
ID:	150549

  31. #28731
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Shashin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Missouri, USA
    Posts
    5,808
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    150

    Re: Fun with MF images

    Harsh light and 1.3 second exposure time. Seawall along Tokyo Bay.

    Will

    http://www.hakusancreation.com
    Likes 18 Member(s) liked this post

  32. #28732
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    339
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fun with MF images

    Same place as last time, different light, and with a perfectly matching person.

    Hamburg

    Name:  CF008201_web.jpg
Views: 457
Size:  502.9 KB

    Cambo WDS, Distagon 40mm IF, IQ1 60
    Likes 18 Member(s) liked this post

  33. #28733
    Member nameBrandon's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Location
    Chicago area, USA
    Posts
    163
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fun with MF images

    We're having some rooms repainted. This is the door knobs and other items that were taken down as part of the preparation for painting.

    Likes 8 Member(s) liked this post

  34. #28734
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    W. NY, close to Toronto, far from NYC
    Posts
    1,667
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    17

    Re: Fun with MF images

    Neowise over Lake Erie, 1.5 hr after sunset. 645Z, 80-160mm, ISO 3200. 30s, too long for this focal length
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_IMG2913-1 copy.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	457.0 KB 
ID:	150552  
    Likes 20 Member(s) liked this post

  35. #28735
    Senior Member Ed Hurst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    1,549
    Post Thanks / Like

    More images of Sydney's big swell yesterday

    This time, Mona Vale ocean pool.

    Pentax 645Z with 120mmA lens:
    [IMG]IMGP4700_Step8sRGBSMALL by Ed Hurst, on Flickr[/IMG]

    And now with 55mm DFA lens
    IMGP4720_Step5sRGBSMALL by Ed Hurst, on Flickr
    Ed Hurst, www.spiffingpics.com
    Likes 13 Member(s) liked this post

  36. #28736
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Illinois, USA
    Posts
    312
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fun with MF images

    Quote Originally Posted by tsjanik View Post
    Neowise over Lake Erie, 1.5 hr after sunset. 645Z, 80-160mm, ISO 3200. 30s, too long for this focal length
    Great shot. If you’re comfortable with Photoshop here a video I made showing a techique you can use to turn short star trails into points.


    https://youtu.be/75zVDFcu5QE
    Thanks 3 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

  37. #28737
    Senior Member AlanS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,980
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fun with MF images

    Weardale...



    Regards, Alan.
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/
    Likes 14 Member(s) liked this post

  38. #28738
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Shashin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Missouri, USA
    Posts
    5,808
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    150

    Re: Fun with MF images

    Quote Originally Posted by tsjanik View Post
    Neowise over Lake Erie, 1.5 hr after sunset. 645Z, 80-160mm, ISO 3200. 30s, too long for this focal length
    Tom, this is beautiful. It is kind of quaint that pre-modern civilizations thought comets were harbingers of misfortune like plagues...

    Last edited by Shashin; 4 Weeks Ago at 12:10.

  39. #28739
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    339
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fun with MF images

    Craig, thank you so much. This technique is nice, I really wanted to try it out so I processed an old picture again.

    Finland

    Name:  CF004112 2_v3_experiment_web.jpg
Views: 354
Size:  459.6 KB

    Hasselblad 500C/M, Planar 80, P20+
    Likes 14 Member(s) liked this post

  40. #28740
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    W. NY, close to Toronto, far from NYC
    Posts
    1,667
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    17

    Re: Fun with MF images

    Quote Originally Posted by Craig Stocks View Post
    Great shot. If you’re comfortable with Photoshop here a video I made showing a techique you can use to turn short star trails into points.


    https://youtu.be/75zVDFcu5QE
    Thanks Craig. Very ingenious; did you devise this technique? In hindsight, It would have been easier if I had used my K-1 with astrotracer.

    Tom

  41. #28741
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    W. NY, close to Toronto, far from NYC
    Posts
    1,667
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    17

    Re: Fun with MF images

    Quote Originally Posted by Shashin View Post
    Tom, this is beautiful. It is kind of quaint that pre-modern civilizations thought comets were harbingers of misfortune like plagues...

    Thanks Will. Stay safe. I wake up in the morning thinking I had watched a frightening movie the night before, when, in fact, it was the news.

    Tom
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  42. #28742
    Member nameBrandon's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Location
    Chicago area, USA
    Posts
    163
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: More images of Sydney's big swell yesterday

    Quote Originally Posted by Ed Hurst View Post
    This time, Mona Vale ocean pool.

    Pentax 645Z with 120mmA lens:
    [IMG]IMGP4700_Step8sRGBSMALL by Ed Hurst, on Flickr[/IMG]

    And now with 55mm DFA lens
    IMGP4720_Step5sRGBSMALL by Ed Hurst, on Flickr
    What an amazing subject (and photographs). Had to look that up to figure out exactly what it was.. that is really cool. Looks like the 55 DFA is working well
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  43. #28743
    Subscriber and Workshop Member MGrayson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    2,576
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    4

    Re: Fun with MF images

    Quote Originally Posted by Craig Stocks View Post
    Great shot. If you’re comfortable with Photoshop here a video I made showing a techique you can use to turn short star trails into points.


    https://youtu.be/75zVDFcu5QE
    Excellent video - as much for the clear use of PS layers as for the end result.
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

  44. #28744
    Senior Member Ed Hurst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    1,549
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fun with MF images

    Quote Originally Posted by D&A View Post
    Ed that is so very very kind of you to say and I'm especially appreciative and humbled that it's coming from you. Of course you have nothing to be jealous of as I and everyone here is in awe of the work you have graciously posted over the years and continue to do so. There is also a lot to learn from those imaginative captures. Thanks ever so much.

    Dave (D&A)
    Dave - I haven't replied to this for a day or so because I couldn't think of anything to say that was worthy of such an amazing, humble, generous-spirited, humane message. All I can say is that I am genuinely touched. Thank you :-). The world would be a better place with more Daves in it.
    Ed Hurst, www.spiffingpics.com
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

  45. #28745
    Senior Member Ed Hurst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    1,549
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: More images of Sydney's big swell yesterday

    Quote Originally Posted by nameBrandon View Post
    What an amazing subject (and photographs). Had to look that up to figure out exactly what it was.. that is really cool. Looks like the 55 DFA is working well
    Hi Brandon,

    Thanks! Yes, the story of Sydney's ocean pools is an amazing one. They stand as monuments to our history and a very current expression of the country's obsession with exercise and the ocean. At various times, there have been attempts made to get rid of them, or to stop paying for maintenance - but they're such a beloved and important part of the country's way of life that anyone taking such a course is taking their political life in their hands.

    The pool at Mona Vale - in Sydney's Northern Beaches - was originally built in the 1930s by unemployed men. Thinking about what that must have meant at the time is very moving - perhaps redolent of the current Covid situation, with many people jobless and full of uncertainty. The pool's exposed position has led it to need rebuilding more than once since, but there it still stands, on the edge of the Pacific - often full of people of all ages, even at 4am, often during wild weather. It certainly provides a bracing swim!

    Thanks for drawing attention to the subject matter. It's easy for me to forget how they are not readily recognised outside of Oz.

    I really feel, when I see these pools in stormy weather, that something about Australia's relationship with the elements is being expressed in a bold and beautiful way. My pictures are inspired by this, but really don't come close to doing it justice :-)
    Ed Hurst, www.spiffingpics.com
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

  46. #28746
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    171
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fun with MF images

    Leica S30-90
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	L1009657.jpeg 
Views:	6 
Size:	195.0 KB 
ID:	150563  
    Likes 11 Member(s) liked this post

  47. #28747
    Member nameBrandon's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Location
    Chicago area, USA
    Posts
    163
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: More images of Sydney's big swell yesterday

    Quote Originally Posted by Ed Hurst View Post
    Hi Brandon,

    Thanks! Yes, the story of Sydney's ocean pools is an amazing one. They stand as monuments to our history and a very current expression of the country's obsession with exercise and the ocean. At various times, there have been attempts made to get rid of them, or to stop paying for maintenance - but they're such a beloved and important part of the country's way of life that anyone taking such a course is taking their political life in their hands.

    The pool at Mona Vale - in Sydney's Northern Beaches - was originally built in the 1930s by unemployed men. Thinking about what that must have meant at the time is very moving - perhaps redolent of the current Covid situation, with many people jobless and full of uncertainty. The pool's exposed position has led it to need rebuilding more than once since, but there it still stands, on the edge of the Pacific - often full of people of all ages, even at 4am, often during wild weather. It certainly provides a bracing swim!

    Thanks for drawing attention to the subject matter. It's easy for me to forget how they are not readily recognised outside of Oz.

    I really feel, when I see these pools in stormy weather, that something about Australia's relationship with the elements is being expressed in a bold and beautiful way. My pictures are inspired by this, but really don't come close to doing it justice :-)
    I can definitely understand the connection with these pools! There's something beautiful about the balance and harmony at the precipice of these two distinct worlds... All the while, under the surface of the seemingly symbiotic relationship is the constant struggle against entropy and erosion. You truly can visualize the ebb and flow of creation and destruction. I think your photos capture this very well.

    I think I need to come way down there and see these pools for myself, once the current unpleasantness is behind us.

    Thank you for sharing the images!
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  48. #28748
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    4,136
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: Fun with MF images

    Nicely said Brandon. There is something both mysterious and beguiling about both the ocean pools and the way Ed captured them. Something to put on ones bucket list and experience them first hand.

    Dave (D&A)
    Last edited by D&A; 4 Weeks Ago at 02:24.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  49. #28749
    Senior Member Ed Hurst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    1,549
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fun with MF images

    Thanks, chaps. With this talk of Sydney's ocean pools, thought it might be a good moment to post some older shots of them.

    (Hope this isn't too many shots to post at once - apologies if it is...)


    North Narrabeen pool
    [IMG]IMGP7464Step7sRGBSMALL-L by Ed Hurst, on Flickr[/IMG]
    [IMG]StarTrailsFromFiles_IMG1348-1855Step11CropSMALL by Ed Hurst, on Flickr[/IMG]
    [IMG]_IMG0696Step8sRGBSMALL by Ed Hurst, on Flickr[/IMG]
    [IMG]_IGP9816Step8CropSMALL by Ed Hurst, on Flickr[/IMG]
    [IMG]_IGP6587Step8sRGBSMALL by Ed Hurst, on Flickr[/IMG]
    [IMG]_IGP5406Step11Crop2SMALL by Ed Hurst, on Flickr[/IMG]
    [IMG]PanoFromFiles_IMG0976-83Step13PersInACR_NRinACRSMALL by Ed Hurst, on Flickr[/IMG]


    Collaroy pool
    [IMG]IMGP5255Step6FlatSpotSSsRGBSMALL-L by Ed Hurst, on Flickr[/IMG]
    [IMG]IMGP5259Step4FlatSSsRGBSMALL-L by Ed Hurst, on Flickr[/IMG]


    North Curl Curl pool
    [IMG]IMGP6276Step7sRGBSMALL-L by Ed Hurst, on Flickr[/IMG]
    [IMG]PanoFromFilesIMGP7211-22(AllFiles)Step12SpotSMALL-L by Ed Hurst, on Flickr[/IMG]


    South Curl Curl pool

    [IMG]_IMG1863Step4SMALL by Ed Hurst, on Flickr[/IMG]


    Mona Vale pool again
    [IMG]IMGP6140Step6sRGBSMALL-L by Ed Hurst, on Flickr[/IMG]
    [IMG]Mona Vale ocean pool by night by Ed Hurst, on Flickr[/IMG]


    Dee Why pool
    [IMG]IMGP6166Step8SSsRGBSMALL-L by Ed Hurst, on Flickr[/IMG]
    [IMG]_EWR9032_Step5sRGBSMALL by Ed Hurst, on Flickr[/IMG]
    [IMG]IMGP6255Step5SSsRGBSMALL-L by Ed Hurst, on Flickr[/IMG]


    Bronte pool
    [IMG]_MAL2753_Step7sRGBSMALL by Ed Hurst, on Flickr[/IMG]
    [IMG]_MAL2762Step5SpotSMALL by Ed Hurst, on Flickr[/IMG]


    Fairy Bower pool
    [IMG]_IGP9514Step6sRGBSMALL by Ed Hurst, on Flickr[/IMG]
    Last edited by Ed Hurst; 4 Weeks Ago at 00:05.
    Ed Hurst, www.spiffingpics.com
    Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 20 Member(s) liked this post

  50. #28750
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    pegelli's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    4,088
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fun with MF images

    Fantastic series of the ocean pools Ed, they're all special and very well done. So thanks for sharing these and the stories behind them.
    My Pics
    Thanks 4 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •