The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with MF images - ARCHIVED - FOR VIEWING ONLY

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stuart Richardson

Re: Fun with MF images - Part 3

Hmmm...United We Stand....at least until I shoot you in the face.

David, have you tried any extension tubes? The 80mm works very well up close if you use a tube.

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member

Beretta supplies a lot of military and police forces in the US.

I have spent a fair amount of time in places where the police/military are either corrupt or ineffective. Try a fortnight in Zimbabwe or even Nigeria. Personally, I prefer a society that has well trained and armed forces. In spite of the difficulties it is reassuring to know that we have the right to protect those who depend upon us.

I find that extension tubes are great if the plane of focus is rigidly controlled as the DOF is so shallow. I use an 13mm a lot.

Nice pictures by the way.

Bob

Stuart Richardson

"I have spent a fair amount of time in places where the police/military are either corrupt or ineffective."

Yes, me too (I lived a year in the Russian far east), but I don't think more or better guns makes militaries or police less corrupt! Nor do I think we can do without them. I did not mean to make a political statement, I just meant it as a joke. It seems kind of a strange statement to be written on a weapon to me...somewhat inconsistent with the original idea.

BUT, I do not want to drag the thread down with my flippant remark. David -- I have a 17mm extension that gets very close with the 80mm...I think the 9mm is probably more useful in some situations. There is actually a variable "zoom" extension tube 22-68mm. It is usually used as a lens body for the 150mm apo symmar, but it could be very useful for the macro range.

So here is a random medium format image to keep things on track.

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member

Stuart,

Living in Russia is about as close as one can approach chaos in a "structured society." I hesitated to comment at all and am in complete agreement with you...you will notice that I tend to shoot landscapes and the odd piece of antique furniture.

Most of my trips are under the aegis of a medical mission so we are at the whim of any strong arm group or government that wishes to get in the way. I end up seeing the far end effects of that reality with regards to the health of the sojourner, widow and orphan...not real pretty on the whole. I once was thrown out of China as we were going to Tibet and they did not want us to care for their problem state...confiscated all of our medications and surgical supplies but in the end returned them to us on our way out of country.

My apologies for diverting your joke...will try to focus on the odd tree and pasture from here on.

with humble regards,

Bob

D

DougDolde

Cottonwoods near the Bull Pen Ranch, West Clear Creek, Arizona. Contax 645, 140mm + 1.4x Mutar, Aptus 75S. Two vertical frames stitched; about 50 megapixels.

Professional

Hi there,

This is my first post here, and because i just have my medium format camera new few beginning of this year, so i choose this thread to post my simple learning shots, and i hope to learn more in the future, i will start with my beloved daughters photos.

Hasselblad H3DII-39mp + HC 2.8/80mm

Bob

Administrator
Staff member

Professional,
The third shot is very nice.
And the forth, It looks like you might not get that Canon back LOL
-bob

David K

Workshop Member

Hmmm...United We Stand....at least until I shoot you in the face.

David, have you tried any extension tubes? The 80mm works very well up close if you use a tube.
Stuart, I have used the extension tubes but didn't on this shot (there was a line of impatient shooters behind me:) ). It certainly shortens the minimum focusing distance but you really have to get close to the subject and the DOF gets very shallow (as shown in Tashley's beautiful flower shot). I just had a chance to compare a shot taken with the extension tube to one taken with the auto bellows and another taken with the Sinar P3 on a multi-shot back. This was my first opportunity to use the P3/multi shot combo and the capabilities of that setup are simply amazing.

Professional

Professional,
The third shot is very nice.
And the forth, It looks like you might not get that Canon back LOL
-bob
Bob, what is Canon? hehe
After looking at these resolutions from medium format it is hardly to use any non-MF DSRLs, i did the test between this beast and my 1DsIII and clearly that H3D was the winner, how can i go back to Canon then? I think my daughter deserve it ;):D

-Tareq

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member

Jim,

Great series, but I really like the third shot -- the way the odd bridge frames the bent tree is perfect :)

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member

Tim,

Gorgeous rose! I assume this was your test of three tubes on the 80?

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member

David:

I like the first of the handgun shots :thumbs:

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor

LOL . Kinda big for her though, get her a G1. LOL

BTW nice shots and welcome to the forum. Seriously though after shooting MF for awhile now it is really hard to buy anything small again ever. Issue is you know right off the bat the camera will not provide those kinds of images from MF but certainly the DSLR's are nice to have for certain things. I have been avoiding buying one for a long time, it gets harder everyday for me because i do need some speed sometimes. I just shot a golf outing for a health care company and MF does keep me on my toes. LOL

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member

Doug:

Very nice composition and B&W treatment -- my favorite of yours so far! My only suggestion would be a slight edge burn at the upper left brach to knock it down a notch. :thumbs:

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor

Tim thanks for running the 3 tubes together nice to know how that works. I need the number 2 .

Professional

LOL . Kinda big for her though, get her a G1. LOL

BTW nice shots and welcome to the forum. Seriously though after shooting MF for awhile now it is really hard to buy anything small again ever. Issue is you know right off the bat the camera will not provide those kinds of images from MF but certainly the DSLR's are nice to have for certain things. I have been avoiding buying one for a long time, it gets harder everyday for me because i do need some speed sometimes. I just shot a golf outing for a health care company and MF does keep me on my toes. LOL
Don't worry, i will keep that DSRL for her until show grows up, and to be honest, when i travel i will only use those DSRLs and not MF, i don't have much accessories yet, so i don't need to go with MF and i am very worry about that beast to be taken or stolen, the price is about twice or 3 times of 1DsIII at least.

I agree, it is very slow camera, i got painful using the macro with extension tube, even the lens bare is hard to focus easily fast.

tashley

Subscriber Member

Tim,

Gorgeous rose! I assume this was your test of three tubes on the 80?
It sure was Jack... focus is not too tough but best to bracket since DOF is negligible but that's exactly the sort of look I was after - I'm really pleased with it and the three tubes plus a bag of glass are such a flexible solution!

Best

Tim

carstenw

Tim, did you do anything special to get so much depth of field? Or is the crop just really dramatic?

Status
Not open for further replies.